• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt collar alteration

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two questions about altering a shirt collar for the tailors / alteration experts / can't-leave-well-enough-alone types on here:

1. Point-to-spread.

I have a shirt with a point collar. I'd like the shirt more with a spread collar. I imagine it would involve taking the collar off the shirt and turning it inside out, re-doing the end, moving the stay pocket and turning it right side out and reassembling.

a) Is this alteration possible?
b) Can it be done reasonably, or should I just replace the collar?

2. Taking in shirt collar

I'd really like the shirt if the collar were 3/4" tighter, too. I imagine that this would involve at least taking the yoke in at the top by the requisite 3/4". The collar's already off from above, so it should be possible to take the 3/4" out of the collar by folding it in half and stitching 3/8" from the fold. Cut out the excess material, turn the collar right side out, iron it and re-attach.

I can live with the vertical seam in the collar.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Contact Mike Maldonado at www.collarreplacement.com His business is replacing collars on shirts--something that most tailors and shirtmakers do not specialize in. He is very friendly and knowledgeable. I have used his services with great results.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
1. Point-to-spread.

I have a shirt with a point collar. I'd like the shirt more with a spread collar. I imagine it would involve taking the collar off the shirt and turning it inside out, re-doing the end, moving the stay pocket and turning it right side out and reassembling.

This sounds tricky--you'd probably need a new collar made. On solid white shirts, this is no problem and about $20. On colored and patterned shirts, you need to match the fabric to have material for a new collar. Otherwise you would have to get a white contrast collar.

Originally Posted by letmebefell
2. Taking in shirt collar

I'd really like the shirt if the collar were 3/4" tighter, too. I imagine that this would involve at least taking the yoke in at the top by the requisite 3/4". The collar's already off from above, so it should be possible to take the 3/4" out of the collar by folding it in half and stitching 3/8" from the fold. Cut out the excess material, turn the collar right side out, iron it and re-attach.

I can live with the vertical seam in the collar.

Maldonado does offer a service called a collar cut that will reduce the neck size of the collar. Details are on the website.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the first is not possible.

the second is, a lot of work. seperate band from leaf cut the leaf in half at the center of the back. then re sew. reduce the band. reattach the two sections and then reset the collar.

a lot of work with potential for disaster.

Carl

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For No. 1 that's a categorical no, because (if I understand Mike Maldonado's video) trimming the collar will expose the interfacing and will not leave enough fabric to give a finished edge. So replace the collar and cuffs is my only option. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads