• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell cordovan + rain = ???

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Guys, regarding brushing: I brushed my boots for a few minutes each and didn't really see any difference. I then buffed with a soft cloth and noticed a difference almost immediately. What is the point of brushing?

My View2

Reaction score
My Carmina shell cordovan whole cut has developed many ugly water marks because of rain. I am really disappointed at this outcome.

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by My View2
My Carmina shell cordovan whole cut has developed many ugly water marks because of rain. I am really disappointed at this outcome.

Is this accumulated damage or a recent soaking? I was caught in a heavy snowfall in my new Carmina cordovan boots and the little raised welts took almost a month to disappear completely.

I let them dry properly over several days, well away from heat sources. Take off any white water marks (potentially caused by salt) with a clean damp cloth (rub dry afterwards). Buff them now and again with a soft cloth. Brush them with a stiff horsehair brush for a few minutes every couple of days, then buff again.

Mine are as good as new; well, better than new, as brand-new cordovan can be slightly characterless, like new trainers.

mg428

Reaction score
Can someone please help me with the rain spots formed on my RL Marlow/Darlton dark brown shell cordovan PTBs?? The shoes were subject to rain just for 10 seconds! I cannot imagine what would have happened if they were exposed longer!! This happened about 10 hours ago. Based on the advise "wait and see" I expected that they would disappear but unfortunately they did not! I buffed the shoes (with a towel) to no avail. In terms of wax, all I have is Alden cordovan wax, which does not conform to the color of these shoes. I don't know what to do!!
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Take a horsehair brush and brush vigourously for 10mins - the spots will start to fade away ... you might want to apply the tinest of paste wax polish (color does not matter but don't use neutral) and apply it evenly. Let it dry, brush for some more time and buff ... With regular wearing and brushing the spots will disappear. This is what gives your shoes patina - nothing to worry about ...

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore my BF longwings in the rain the other day,nothing happened. No spots whatsoever,I was expecting those little stains,but fortunately,nothing happened. I usually have shoes assigned for rainy weather so would probably avoid wearing anything nice in the rain anyways.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prajna12
I just ordered a pair of Cordovans, and am wondering what is a good recommended creme for them? I checked the francos web site but they seem to be out of the Cordovan color.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Originally Posted by JayJay
AE has a creme for cordovan that's also very good. Kiwi wax works, too, and is also recommended highly by Alden.

To be clear, you do NOT want to put cream-style polish on shell cordovan shoes. Only use wax-based polish (which is what the Alden product is).

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
^ Take a horsehair brush and brush vigourously for 10mins - the spots will start to fade away ... you might want to apply the tinest of paste wax polish (color does not matter but don't use neutral) and apply it evenly. Let it dry, brush for some more time and buff ... With regular wearing and brushing the spots will disappear. This is what gives your shoes patina - nothing to worry about ...

Thanks, Sri. Brushing with Alden horsehair brush solved the problem. So was your suggestion to apply wax a general suggestion or in relation to the rain spot problem in addition to brushing?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
Thanks, Sri. Brushing with Alden horsehair brush solved the problem. So was your suggestion to apply wax a general suggestion or in relation to the rain spot problem in addition to brushing?

It was in relation to the spots - incase they bothered you too much even after brushing.

Cordovan is wonderful leather. Brushing usually takes out most water spots and scratches on cordovan. I brush my shoes before and after every wear. Paste wax after 15-16 wearings (or if they are exposed to too much water). Brushing generates heat and brings out the waxes/oils in the cordovan to the surface (there is plenty from the way it is tanned). Very crucial to maintaining shell.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
To be clear, you do NOT want to put cream-style polish on shell cordovan shoes. Only use wax-based polish (which is what the Alden product is).

Mostly, this is true ... alden boot cream (Or AE's for that matter) is useful once in a while to remove polish build up (e.g. if you apply too much or if they are exposed to a LOT of water). I usually condition my shells with alden boot cream twice every year.

emptym

Reaction score
Either I haven't had any probs in the rain w/ my Rider boots, or I'm just not as finicky about spots, but I wear them regularly in the rain and haven't noticed a thing. They really do get better w/ age too. I've used Renovateur, cream, and polish on them. I think Renovateur is best for conditioning and polish for polishing. Prob. won't use cream on them again, though I don't think it did them much harm, and I use it pretty much exclusively for calfskin shoes.

mikesduc

Reaction score
FWIW I've worn my shells (#8 and black )throughout this winter in snow, rain, slush and salt. Wipe with a slightly damp cloth when I reach my destination. Vigorous brushing and polish every 15 to 20 wears and they look better every time. Not a single water spot.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my cordovan shoes got completely drenched in the rain today. Should I let them dry with or without shoe trees?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Akeem
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my cordovan shoes got completely drenched in the rain today. Should I let them dry with or without shoe trees?

Stuff newspaper or shoe trees in them and let them dry indoors. Brush the exterior and you are good to go.

Regards.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
It is rain-friendlier than calfskin for sure.

That has been my experience too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics