1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shell cordovan + rain = ???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Jan 16, 2010.

1. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Either I haven't had any probs in the rain w/ my Rider boots, or I'm just not as finicky about spots, but I wear them regularly in the rain and haven't noticed a thing. They really do get better w/ age too. I've used Renovateur, cream, and polish on them. I think Renovateur is best for conditioning and polish for polishing. Prob. won't use cream on them again, though I don't think it did them much harm, and I use it pretty much exclusively for calfskin shoes.

2. mikesduc

mikesduc Senior member

FWIW I've worn my shells (#8 and black )throughout this winter in snow, rain, slush and salt. Wipe with a slightly damp cloth when I reach my destination. Vigorous brushing and polish every 15 to 20 wears and they look better every time. Not a single water spot.

3. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my cordovan shoes got completely drenched in the rain today. Should I let them dry with or without shoe trees?

4. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my cordovan shoes got completely drenched in the rain today. Should I let them dry with or without shoe trees?

Stuff newspaper or shoe trees in them and let them dry indoors. Brush the exterior and you are good to go.

Regards.

5. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

It is rain-friendlier than calfskin for sure.

That has been my experience too.

6. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

Shell cordovan likes pina coladas.

7. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

and getting caught in the rain

1 person likes this.
  8. Timmer

Timmer Member

To be clear, you do NOT want to put cream-style polish on shell cordovan shoes. Only use wax-based polish (which is what the Alden product is).
    I hope this does not get too off-topic but I just purchased my first pair of shell cordovan shoes (AE MacNeil) and went to AE's website and watched their video on caring for shell cordovan shoes and purchased their cordovan cream. Are you saying this is actually not good to use on the shoes? I would appreciate some more insight into this. Thank you.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I hope this does not get too off-topic but I just purchased my first pair of shell cordovan shoes (AE MacNeil) and went to AE's website and watched their video on caring for shell cordovan shoes and purchased their cordovan cream.

Are you saying this is actually not good to use on the shoes? I would appreciate some more insight into this. Thank you.

I've used AE's cordovan cream for years, and it works very well. I'm also a fan of paste, but I use AE cordo cream for my #8 and other burgundy shells.

10. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I've soaked my Ravellos through completely and been caught in a light sprinkle. They looked find in couple weeks.

11. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

I have had mixed results. For the most part they are just fine. Very recently, during a light rain my new unpolished pair of black AE Leeds got slightly wet. The shell reacted so poorly that I consider them toi be pretty much ruined. They literally developed an odd rough surface and small cracking, whereas they had previously been smooth as silk.

I partially blame myself as I suspect some wax polish would have gone a long way in protecting them. I also suspect that perhaps the shells were not from Horween, or somehow defective.

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

My RL darltons always get right back to normal after they dry out and get a little polished.

I've even scuffed them on a curb pretty badly and have been able to polish it out. Calf would have been wrecked.

13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Since making this thread, my shells have seen a good bit of rain. Maybe 5-7 rainy outings. Here is what they look like without ever using cream, paste, wax, or polish. I simply brushed them and buffed with a cotton cloth. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Those look wonderful Moo.

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Thank you. [​IMG]

16. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

they need tree's - or if they have then better tree's

17. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

+1

18. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

Made the mistake of wearing my vintage black shell cordovan Bostonian Tassel loafers in a driving rain storm to attend a retirement party. I could have worn my waterproof cole haans or even put on overshoes which I keep in my office but i figured the shell would be fine. My feet stayed warm and dry within the shoes and i noticed nothing amiss. The next day i looked at the loafers and saw cracking in the fold wear a little excess polish was and also micro-cracks across the stitching. My thinking is that the shell was affected by the direct exposure to the car's heater on the two hour drive home. The shell dried by artificial means. I have metal tins of Venetian and should have taken the shoes off prior to driving home and then as soon as I got home i should have Venetianed the sh## out of them. Learned a lesson, I have been creaming the other shell i own repeatedly and brushing.

19. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I'm glad there is one less pair of tassel loafers in the world but I'm sorry for you loss, if it is indeed a loss.

Is it just the polish that's cracking? Even with artifical drying, unless the heater was super hot, shouldn't crack them. Try cleaning them off and using a little conditioner.

20. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Always use a damp cloth to wipe of the excess rain from shell, gents. It works all the time for me. Starts out with the stiffest polishing brush you have (i.e. boar bristle if you have), then decrease the stiffness and increase the softness, which will, eventually, wear the marks out and brings back the smooth surface. DO NOT apply paste wax when the bumps are still there and expect it to go away - it won't.

Another interesting point - have any of you tried to treat shell with grease? I treated mine with an old recipe dubbin which I find extremely effective.