• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving mirrors

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i need a new shaving mirror for my shower. the one i have now has lost its fogless abilities and there is some soapscum on it that won't come off. does anyone have a really good fogless shaving mirror they would recommend? i've actually seen some that cost over $1000. my budget is a little less than that. thanks in advance.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
An old ice hockey trick (when we wore plastic masks): take a little bit of Joy dish soap on a paper towel and rub it on the glass - it'll stop the glass from fogging up.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a really crappy one and I am watching this thread to see if anyone has a good alternative. I just rub some bar soap from my hand onto the mirror then wipe it down to a thin film and it stays on at least long enough to trim my hair and shave. The dishsoap would probably work just as well but I don't have dishsoap in the shower.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually i do need a new one because mine has some film on it that won't come off and doesn't allow me to my face clearly. i'm going to try a regular mirror with the soap trick and see if it works.

vero_group

Reaction score
I used to have one of those Sharper Image ones where the hot water trickles down a tube to heat up the glass/plastic surface and keep it clear. It worked like crap. Avoid.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I think the one that I have currently came from Target. It's just a round mirror with three suction cups that attach to the back. It has worked well for about 3 years now.

Bradford

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks bradford. yours is probably similar to mine, though i don't remember where i got mine from. i still haven't tried the soap trick but i will in a few minutes.

mgavriel

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a fog free suction cup mirror. Without thinking, I kind of assumed the only place for it would be my bathroom's main mirror. Incidentally, I haven't used that mirror yet. In any event, a few minutes ago, I was still debating whether to return it because I'm intrigued by the possibility of shaving in the shower. It seems to be a somewhat popular strategy on this forum and it sounds like it might save time, naturally moisten my beard/face, etc. So I jumped to the conclusion that I would need a special fog free - shower - shaving mirror and searched the forums for some advice.

But I just realized that perhaps I can just attach the suction cup mirror inside the shower (on tiles, I guess... or possibly the glass shower door if it wouldn't stop the door from sliding).

Does anyone have some more wisdom/product recommendations on the benefits/types of fog free shower shaving mirrors? I don't mind sticking with the suction cup solution if it will stick to my shower tile... I'll check that out.

Thanks!

Michael

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
The magnifying mirror (rotate the mirror to adjust) at Bed Bath and Beyonce (I mean, Beyond) is pretty good.

Don't seek perfection, just buy a decent one and replace every year or two.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
The magnifying mirror (rotate the mirror to adjust) at Bed Bath and Beyonce (I mean, Beyond) is pretty good. Don't seek perfection, just buy a decent one and replace every year or two.
+1. Unless a barber pops out to shave your face, I can't imagine what the hell you'd be getting for $1k. They're all basically the same and none of them last forever. The one that Men's Essentials is pretty good and there is free shipping too.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgavriel
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a fog free suction cup mirror. Without thinking, I kind of assumed the only place for it would be my bathroom's main mirror. Incidentally, I haven't used that mirror yet. In any event, a few minutes ago, I was still debating whether to return it because I'm intrigued by the possibility of shaving in the shower. It seems to be a somewhat popular strategy on this forum and it sounds like it might save time, naturally moisten my beard/face, etc. So I jumped to the conclusion that I would need a special fog free - shower - shaving mirror and searched the forums for some advice.

But I just realized that perhaps I can just attach the suction cup mirror inside the shower (on tiles, I guess... or possibly the glass shower door if it wouldn't stop the door from sliding).

Does anyone have some more wisdom/product recommendations on the benefits/types of fog free shower shaving mirrors? I don't mind sticking with the suction cup solution if it will stick to my shower tile... I'll check that out.

Thanks!

Michael

It should stick to your shower tile. Just be sure it's really on there, when they fall into a bathtub it can be unbelievably loud.

I've been using the same rotating/magnifying one for quite a while now. The fog free-ness has long since died off, but I just wipe it down with a little soapy water before starting every day and it works fine.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Two thoughts...

First, that film might come off if you scrub it gently with some Bar Keeper's Friend - it's an abrasive powder similar to Comet or Ajax, but BKF is supposed to be safe for glass. I've used it a good bit for shower doors and been very happy. Use plenty of water, light pressure, and a paper towel.

Second, when I was shaving in the shower (with a Mach 3), I just anchored at the ear lobe and worked down from there, and got away from using a mirror. I felt around my face for missed spots, and with three passes, I didn't miss much.

Since I use a straight these days, I shave at the sink, with a big mirror and good lighting.

kakemono

Reaction score
i just buy a new $5 one from wal-mart every year. They get to the point that I have to rub soap on them to make them clear up... i am about at the point where i don't need the mirror though. Just shave+feel my face.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think they lose their antifog property because of developing a film - they have a film to begin with that gives them that property. Also, most are plastic, not glass. So I wouldn't go after it with any kind of harsh cleaner.

I can shave with no mirror but I much prefer not to. It takes me a lot longer. The soap treatment only takes 2sec so it's not worth bothering to get a new one anyway.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I guess putting it to a buffing wheel with green chrome paste probably wouldn't do anything good either, then.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads