• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shanghai Nightlife, Food, and Sights

Peterpaul

Reaction score
I lived there from 2003-2007; however, given the mining town boom nature of that place my information may be outdated.

That said, I cannot suggest the Tai Kan Lu neighborhood enough. My wife started a small gallery there from 2004-2006 and we watched it blossom. It is an art district between the Old French Concession (Xu Jia Hui) and the Bund (Huai Tan). Just picture small walking lanes full of galleries, higher end custom shops, and bars and bistros. Xin Tian Di is a manufactured, Disneyland version of this location.

A second area is the neighborhoods north and east of the heart of Xu Jia Hui. Ask a taxi driver to take you to Tai Ping Yan (Pacific) Department store and just head out on foot from there. Just be careful of the guarded streets nearby where Premier Jiang lives in secluded retirement.

Shanghai really is a walking town and best explored on foot. If you get tired, a cheap taxi is always nearby. Just don't try to do it east of the river...it is all a new suburban wasteland.

And if you buy silk, get it from the Friendship stores...it is the only way you will really find quality silk in a western size.

Finally, get some 24k gold for her. The prices are only a small fraction above the London spot price - it may be the best speculative "investment" you make all year.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok awesome, good advice, guys. Been delayed for a bit but definitely going there within the next few months. Totally excited now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics