• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[Shadow community thread, you may bring your snack ]

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was updating on my end then vanished suddenly.

EDIT - Just saw that it was deleted. I have restored it to the main folder now.

Anyone who is having space issues should go to the preferences of their Dropbox application (if on OSX, I guess it would be "settings" on a WinPC) and go to selective sync. Using the advanced view you can choose what folders to synchronise. If you have watched Little Odessa, uncheck it and you should have all that space back without deleting the file for anyone else.

Once most people have watched Seconds we can move it to a folder as well so people can again, selectively "unsync" themselves

Last edited:

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh wow. not signed up to the community here yet but 'seconds' is fantastic.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^I don't see why not

indesertum, did you watch it on iPad in the end ? Glad you liked it.

:hide: I did. I dont' have a laptop or a TV and I feel weird watching movies in a computer lab

really loved it and glad you put it up. going to go watch more james gray filmes. two people mentioned american history X and I can't help but make the same connection too

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
indesertum. buys rick dunks instead of buying a new laptop :foo: next level styleforuming

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:hide: i don't really want a laptop. my ipad does everything i need a laptop for and if i need more computing power i prefer the computers at school that have much greater deskspace. i do want an imac someday tho, but the one i want is too expensive for now. so i'm saving up or waiting til i get a job

also it's easier to turn an ipad to its side to lie down and watch than it is a laptop. :foo:

cannot wait til it's my turn to upload a movie but that's a few months away

Last edited:

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some friends who work || intern at DB, will see if I can't rustle up a few free space coupons

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
just finished this morning after starting late last night. great pick dwyhajlo

after seeing the trailer i thought i wouldn't be able to watch it (what with the conditioning of mainstream cinecrapnema now requiring many special effects, hd resolution, unnecessarily dizzying post-production 3d, etc etc). but for this same reason i kept thinking, this movie was done in the right era, it couldn't be done in modern times (fingerprints and dental records are no longer the sole identifiers, your dna is everywhere). it feels disappointing to think this fantasy is now lost, however unreal it may have been to begin with.

frankenheimer was a good craftsman. disorienting camera work really added to the emotion at the right times. i thought in the middle the film got a bit off-tracked, going too far into wilson as a real person, maybe that was intentionally done to show a natural tendency toward the mundane/ordinary (all the creepy robotic seconds living similarly unconventional laissez faire lives in hippyland cali) ? but got back to the point shortly. anyway, Will Geer was awesome and his smile when chatting with the fellow kept making me think of the Cheshire Cat.

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
watched it a few days ago - i thought it was fantastic movie, loved it. will post thoughts later!

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drunken Sailor isn't going to sound the same way again.

Not what you'd call a feel good movie. Sort of read the 'reborn' thing as culture commentary. Guy works in finance, lives in suburban ny with wife, in a dead marriage, empty nest, sexless. What could be better than transplanting your existence to sixties California. C'mon, you get to be an artist and attend random grape smushing things! Bang semi attractive saggy titted women with hidden agendas! Only problem is things don't work that way. Like Mr. Wilson's conscience doesn't work that way (which the narrative could have explored more but whatever). All he had to do was play the part. What a shame. In the end refusing to toe the line gets him phased out of the program, so to speak. Which in a way was what being a hippie was about. So irony points there I suppose. All in all there was some nice symbolism. Good one dwyhajlo. Looks like we're two for two on these.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Help, technical difficulties!
Dropbox downloaded Little Odessa again, but not Seconds. (I have a Seconds folder with a green check, but nothing inside). Says all files are up to date. No!

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help, technical difficulties!
Dropbox downloaded Little Odessa again, but not Seconds. (I have a Seconds folder with a green check, but nothing inside). Says all files are up to date. No!

Try logging in via the web client, rather than having it mirror to your hard drive?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. The Seconds folder is there, but it's empty. Had to click 'Deleted Files' and 'Restore'. Hope this doesn't cause any problems.

Last edited:

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Just some food for thought:
I feel like there's some subtext in Seconds regarding Rock Hudson's homosexuality. Though he would definitely not have been openly gay at the time this film was made, it was supposedly an open secret in Hollywood. The idea of a man trapped behind a façade, unable to express who he really is, and with a large cadre dedicated to ensuring he keeps up the façade (to protect their business), rich idiots (frauds or charlatans, essentially) flocking to California from across the country to recreate themselves, etc. I feel like this may have had some resonance with Hudson. It seems like a pretty open poison pen letter to Hollywood from Hudson and/or Frankenheimer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads