• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF is having a horrible effect on me...

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaizen
I hope you spent that hundred on clothes.

You bet your ass I did. I think I spent it all on shoe cream and polish!

AcuraNSX

Reaction score
I've just recently found this site and have enjoyed it immensely. I ordered a pair of Allen Edmonds this week and have went to Brooks Brothers (we have a great new store nearby) to look around. Loved being surrounded by all the nice-ities. Why is it that everything I love in life always cost the most? Cars, houses, watches, now clothes..... I need to make more money. Thank goodness I can be thrifty. Glad I'm not alone here. It's like were part of an exclusive club.
bigstar[1].gif

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
SO, as newbies, you will see what happens next, when you become more advanced in your SF disease:
1. You will think days in advance, and several hours a day on what you can combine to top the last combo of outift.
2. You will search for a job that pays very well to pay for your infection....it will spread beyond clothing, espresso machines, chairs, art, stereo systems, TV's, new music etc.
3. You will hide purchases, but brag about how you scored a $3000 suit NWT for $250.00, then get your hand slapped...
4. You will find yourself feeling naked with out the correct scent, which will be a play on your mood, your outfit, and the nature of your day.
5. You will find that women you had never attracted before commenting on your socks, and how sexy cashmere socks that are bright crimson are, with your 2+inch cuffs, and your perfectly polished shoes, while you sip some perfect drink. Then you will find your spouse/GF (what ever), in a jealous rage.
5. You will be able to tell whom your sartorial bretheren are, by the neopolitan shoulders, or obvious full canvass hand tailored jackets.
6. You will supplement your income by making bets that you can guess the maker of a coat by the button holes (I seriously won a $100 bet last week on guessing a suit, tie, and shirt a co-worker was wearing:Zegna, but two sizes too big, Brioni shirt, and Ricci tie...haha cant **** with me)

+ 20202020000000000000000000 besides number one...i just throw on whatever is at hand and it either looks really good or questionable, yet affected which i actually kind of like anyways.

To add something to the list,

7. You will laugh at clothing jokes...
frown.gif

^ I'll randomly crack up in my dorm room and my roommate will always wonder wtf im laughing about

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread is like the yang to the 'no clothes buying in April club' thread's yin. I like it
devil.gif

6. You will supplement your income by making bets that you can guess the maker of a coat by the button holes (I seriously won a $100 bet last week on guessing a suit, tie, and shirt a co-worker was wearing:Zegna, but two sizes too big, Brioni shirt, and Ricci tie
Good trick. Some times I like to say 'hey, that's a nice insert brand name suit' to random strangers. You should see the suspicious looks they shoot me
laugh.gif

neyus

Reaction score
Styleforum owns you now, *****!!

I found that in the beginning I made alot of mistakes and it has probably taken me at least a couple of years to develop my own sense of style.

My advice is do as much research as possible, get a sense of brands, styles, fits and what looks good on you what doesn't and then once you've established what works for you - go and get it.

Be careful buying really expensive clothing, because generally once you get it you can't get enough of it and you might feel that it makes everything else in your wardrobe look inadequate.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur

People already think I put too much effort in dressing nice, but now it's going to get even worse.
musicboohoo[1].gif

... not to mention throwing away half of my wardrobe because it no longer matches my standards.

F you, SF.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

+1

wind88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
Styleforum owns you now, *****!!

I found that in the beginning I made alot of mistakes and it has probably taken me at least a couple of years to develop my own sense of style.

My advice is do as much research as possible, get a sense of brands, styles, fits and what looks good on you what doesn't and then once you've established what works for you - go and get it.

Be careful buying really expensive clothing, because generally once you get it you can't get enough of it and you might feel that it makes everything else in your wardrobe look inadequate.

+9999999999

John Ellis

Reaction score
It is addictive. I've always has a bit of an eye to style but as I've gotten older and influenced by the net which makes you look at things in a different way, I've undoubtedly become more adventurous. That said dressing stylishly is a great lure for members of the opposite sex (although my chicks are now usually chickens but some with nice plumage). I'm constantly getting comments of the "I wish my husband/boyfriend could look like that" variety. One of the most amusing situations one encounters is being in a man's store buying a tie or whatever and encountering the woman shopping for her man. They often ask for advice but seldom take it because in my experience they are very cautious. Probably reflecting the attitudes of their mates. They'll say something like that tie and shirt you're wearing looks great, but when you suggest something similar they invariably back away. Their taste in ties is invariably awfu tending in the Tom Wolffe exploding pizza direction. They also seem to have a love affair with the color Taupe. Anyway it's quite a pleasing addiction to have, does little harm to anyone and adds a little color and spice to the world.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SO, as newbies, you will see what happens next, when you become more advanced in your SF disease:
1. You will think days in advance, and several hours a day on what you can combine to top the last combo of outift.
2. You will search for a job that pays very well to pay for your infection....it will spread beyond clothing, espresso machines, chairs, art, stereo systems, TV's, new music etc.
3. You will hide purchases, but brag about how you scored a $3000 suit NWT for $250.00, then get your hand slapped...4. You will find yourself feeling naked with out the correct scent, which will be a play on your mood, your outfit, and the nature of your day.
5. You will find that women you had never attracted before commenting on your socks, and how sexy cashmere socks that are bright crimson are, with your 2+inch cuffs, and your perfectly polished shoes, while you sip some perfect drink. Then you will find your spouse/GF (what ever), in a jealous rage.
5. You will be able to tell whom your sartorial bretheren are, by the neopolitan shoulders, or obvious full canvass hand tailored jackets.
6. You will supplement your income by making bets that you can guess the maker of a coat by the button holes (I seriously won a $100 bet last week on guessing a suit, tie, and shirt a co-worker was wearing:Zegna, but two sizes too big, Brioni shirt, and Ricci tie...haha cant **** with me)

lol, so true. I find myself telling my wife, "but it retails for $2k and I only got it for $300!!"

lithium180

Reaction score
I recently experienced the post-Brooks Brothers transition.

I can't even go in that store now without noticing how poorly cut and low quality most of the items are and how many of the employees look like used car salesman.

Thanks a lot SF, I used to really enjoy my sack suit but now it's ruined and all my pants are Italian.
plain.gif

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Christ, should I get out of here while I still can?

Only if you value your credit line.
devil.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Too often I now find myself observing well dressed men and wondering if they are members of SF. I also notice those who definitely should be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads