1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Seriously people

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Jul 21, 2004.

1. j

j Well-Known Member

Like I said, weird is okay. [​IMG]

2. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

Just to add my 2 cents.
    I do not think there is anything wrong with constructive critique. In fact it can be quite healthy.
    What I do not like is the childish name calling and insults, which then takes over the topic for endless posts and all with nothing of value to add.
    Certainly we can express our opinions without getting into the pettiness that is often seen.
    I certainly do not agree with everything that is said, and I doubt that everyone agrees with me on all issues. Likewise we all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to clothers, shoes, whatever.
    This forum, and others have been a great help to me and much has been learned. It would be a shame if others could not share the experiences.
    While I do believe that we have the right to express our views, I personally would not object to having Steve B and J
    calling the shots, so to speak. After all, it is their "board" and "he who has the gold, makes the rules".
    Perhaps we could electronically sign an agreement, which if violated would then mean we would forfiet our right to participate.
    Is it not possible to just be civil?

Classic

PS. J and Steve B, thank you very much for your efforts in this forum. It has been a source of knowledge for me in the areas of men's clothing and am gratefull. It certainly has shown that an old dog can be taught new tricks.

3. bryce330

bryce330 Well-Known Member

I am pleased something is being done (or at least threatened) about the recent deterioration of the forum, but I am also somewhat troubled by the threats to ban "peanut gallery spectators" who "egg on" the main offenders. I don't know what exactly is meant by "egging on," but I don't see the problem with (for example) pointing out inconsistencies where someone is claiming to be someone they aren't, or just pointing out (tactfully) when somebody is being a jerk.

Without naming names, it seems to me that 95% of the recent problems on this board have been the fault of two or three posters and I think it would make more sense to ban those individuals than to threaten to ban the rest of us.

4. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

(marc37 @ 21 July 2004, 11:10) l would be the first to go. People hate my guts on this forum and Andy's. lt is just a case of being misunderstood.
    J, glad that you are now keeping an eye on the various goings on, on this (your) forum. I would just like a definition of "weird" as per your usage towards marc37? for example: Styleforum shoe discussion All posts by marc-au:
    - a baseless attack coupled with a baseless accusation against a former (and thus unable to defend himself) member.
    -spitting on??? or how about the killing and eating people? Styleforum discussion on self image
    - this is "weird"[​IMG]?? Remember the recent flap about the German cannibal. Please inform us if this is the definition of "weird", and these kinds of posts are allowed since "weird" is ok. If so, are we then allowed to spill vitriol on whatever we choose? Sincerely, T4phage

5. avtar

avtar Member

Ok, I'll say it. Here are the members that should be banned immediately:

A. Harris
    AAA
    Bjorn H
    Carlo
    Duveen
    FIHTies
    HRHAndrew
    jcusey
    Mike C.
    Steve B.
    STYLESTUDENT
    TimelessRider
    tjmaglio

Of course I am kidding, but since they help fund the forum maybe they should be on a type of standards committee.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Oh, I second FIHTies. [​IMG] Out he goes. [​IMG] Jon. (sorry, inside joke)

7. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Well-Known Member

Oh come on, I am sure you have good intentions avtar, but I am not intersted in serving on a committee. I just wish that people would use common sense a little more often.

8. FCS

FCS Well-Known Member

(j @ 22 July 2004, 10:44)
    l would be the first to go. People hate my guts on this forum and Andy's. lt is just a case of being misunderstood.
    J, glad that you are now keeping an eye on the various goings on, on this (your) forum. I would just like a definition of "weird" as per your usage towards marc37? for example: Styleforum shoe discussion All posts by marc-au:
    - a baseless attack coupled with a baseless accusation against a former (and thus unable to defend himself) member.
    -spitting on??? or how about the killing and eating people? Styleforum discussion on self image
    - this is "weird"[​IMG]?? Â Remember the recent flap about the German cannibal. Please inform us if this is the definition of "weird", and these kinds of posts are allowed since "weird" is ok. Â If so, are we then allowed to spill vitriol on whatever we choose? Sincerely, T4phage
    My, I missed the apocalyptic killing part. J, I agree with T4phage. His participation at Andy's forum is also similar to this nature, if not more disturbing, with those unamusing racial references and all.

9. imageWIS

You know I like American Psycho as much as the next guy, but Marc37's Bateman reference is really disturbing onto itself. Of, course this could be on of his "˜apparent' jokes...as there seems to be some members whom have stated that these posts are meant as jokes. I personally do not find anything remotely amusing about: "l like seeing people suffering and in pain. l hate all the people in the world; l wish 95% of the humans on earth were destroyed (Don't want all of the humans dead, l have to eat something)." Jon.

10. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Thank you for the post, J. I don't like the idea of banning anyone, or voting anyone out, but it is good that you raise the issue and let everyone know..

the mods are watching.

Btw, can you make my text hot pink without having me voted on?

12. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

use Code Sample Font Color[/quote] ...check the 'iB Code' help card for more fun stuff.

13. vero_group

vero_group Well-Known Member

J,

A few months back a forum member here called me an "asshole." That kind of behavior is certainly ban-worthy in the future, yes?

Logan.

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

I will interject here and say that I certainly hope not. That does not seem like a large offense. I don't think that j is changing any rules, so to speak, but just making us aware that we are gentlemen and should act as thus (even if we use improper sentence structure).

And the hot pink ends... I promise.

15. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

(vero_group @ 22 July 2004, 5:30) J, A few months back a forum member here called me an "asshole." That kind of behavior is certainly ban-worthy in the future, yes? Logan.
    I will interject here and say that I certainly hope not. That does not seem like a large offense. I don't think that j is changing any rules, so to speak, but just making us aware that we are gentlemen and should act as thus (even if we use improper sentence structure). And the hot pink ends... I promise.
    I don't think I could take anyone seriously if they posted in hit pink. I'd assume I was reading a post written by a 12-year-old girl.

16. imageWIS

Hi Barbie. Hi Ken. You wanna go for a ride? Sure, Ken. Jump in. Ha ha ha ha. I'm a Barbie girl in the Barbie world Life in plastic, it's fantastic You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere Imagination, life is your creation Come on, Barbie, let's go party I'm a Barbie girl in the Barbie world Life in plastic, it's fantastic You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere Imagination, life is your creation I'm a blonde single girl in the fantasy world Dress me up, take your time, I'm your dollie You're my doll, rock and roll, feel the glamour and pain Kiss me here, touch me there, hanky-panky You can touch, you can play You can say I'm always yours, oooh whoa I'm a Barbie girl in the Barbie world Life in plastic, it's fantastic You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere Imagination, life is your creation Come on, Barbie, let's go party, ha ha ha, yeah Come on, Barbie, let's go party, oooh, oooh Come on, Barbie, let's go party, ha ha ha, yeah Come on, Barbie, let's go party, oooh, oooh Make me walk, make me talk, do whatever you please I can act like a star, I can beg on my knees Come jump in, be my friend, let us do it again Hit the town, fool around, let's go party You can touch, you can play You can say I'm always yours You can touch, you can play You can say I'm always yours Come on, Barbie, let's go party, ha ha ha, yeah Come on, Barbie, let's go party, oooh, oooh Come on, Barbie, let's go party, ha ha ha, yeah Come on, Barbie, let's go party, oooh, oooh I'm a Barbie girl in the Barbie world Life in plastic, it's fantastic You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere Imagination, life is your creation I'm a Barbie girl in the Barbie world Life in plastic, it's fantastic You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere Imagination, life is your creation Come on, Barbie, let's go party, ha ha ha, yeah Come on, Barbie, let's go party, oooh, oooh Come on, Barbie, let's go party, ha ha ha, yeah Come on, Barbie, let's go party, oooh, oooh - Oh, I'm having so much fun. - Well, Barbie, we're just getting started. - Oh, I love you Ken. [​IMG] Jon.

17. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

Ok, I have no qualms with banning Jon on this one post alone. [​IMG] Who seconds the motion?

18. imageWIS

HAHAHAHAHAHA. (Fell on the floor, hold on...) [​IMG] Hey, VersaceMan mentioned a 12-year old girl and the color pink...what else could I post? Jon. Could be worse, in could have posted the lyrics to Cyndi Lauper's "˜Girls Just Want To Have Fun'...

19. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by j,22 July 2004, 10:44
    l would be the first to go. People hate my guts on this forum and Andy's. lt is just a case of being misunderstood.

- this is "weird"[​IMG]?? Â Remember the recent flap about the German cannibal. Please inform us if this is the definition of "weird", and these kinds of posts are allowed since "weird" is ok. Â If so, are we then allowed to spill vitriol on whatever we choose? Sincerely, T4phage
    Common T4phage; you are gullible, don't take things too seriously. l like to ham things up alittle bit. Stop trying to cause trouble. Stop being sour all the time. Sweeten up son. Take a chocolate freddo frog; that'll sweeten you up son. [​IMG] Note: my responses are in context with my avator. P.S: the world is overpopulated though. We are running out of natural resources and plantlife: maybe a tragic natural disarster is not such a bad thing. Nostrodarmous predicts these things. Nature always wipes pests out: l argue humans are the pests of the earth. We destroy everything we touch. We ruin the ocean, we ruin (put chemicals in the soil and don't compost) the soil, we destroy innocent animals homes and habitat, we eat animals, we pollute the atmosphere, we destroy everything like there's no tommorrow. lf animals destroyed the earth like we do, they would be classified as a pest and destroyed. There is nothing to be disturbed about folks, we are like a notious weed and we will destroy ourselves in a little time (50 - 70 years). The more we damage our earth, the more nature will activate disease to destroy us all. The only people that will survive are the people who have learnt to live by nature (ie: grasses, sprouts and natural foods). The more we pollute the environment, the more we destroy oxygen and the more we get Anaerobic deseases such as Cancer and Aids. Since the earths oxygen levels have fallen below 21%, Aids has been introduced (1982). At higher oxygen levels, Aids cannot exist. Mother nature has the last laugh over us brainless human beings. lt's a pity we couldn't get a clue and start up cottage industries again. [​IMG]

20. brescd01

brescd01 Well-Known Member

Steve, Chowhound just makes offending posts disappear and this is quite effective. Two or three of my posts were "disappeared" for very subtle reasons (I mentioned a restaurant whose mention had been banned without my knowing it). You can be sure, I stopped talking about the restaurant.