• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serious fluff / balling problem with my Ralph Lauren sweaters

litho

Reaction score
Hi there, 2 months ago i bought 2 ralph lauren sweaters, one black one navy. They are very comfortable but I have a huge problem with fluff balls all down the arms and in general around the entire shirt.

I've just put a white shirt on then the sweater and upon removing the sweater my white shirt is head to tail covered in blue fluff

I've taken them to the dry cleaners to try to remove it all but it made no difference whatsoever

It is funny because the salesman said that this wool was better than cashmere because it will ball much less! I would expect more for £95 per shirt...

looks like this:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

code on label is psz 06w

litho

Reaction score
no one else have this problem?

jjjohn

Reaction score
Nothing much you can do about this.
This will go away by time.

Next time, try to get cashmere one, I never have any problem with my Ballantyne.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I have two of RL's "famous" cashmere cableknit crewneck sweaters. They create fuzz balls (pilling) like no other sweaters I have -- poor quality cashmere, I think. Also very stretched out neck, hem, and cuffs after a few months' wear. RL should be ashamed to sell these. I will never buy woolens from RL again. Try Johnson's of Elgin via STP. Much better quality But then again, I've never even heard of pilling being possible with your kind of cotton sweater.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine have been pretty good. What line is it from?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have that problem with a couple of RL sweaters I've gotten recently - one RLBL, on RLPL. Both have pilled badly - a little disappointing in such an expensive sweater.

I've come to the conclusion that RL makes crappy sweaters.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple pima v-neck polo sweaters and never had that trouble. They're probably 5 years old or so and retailed around $80 back then iirc, not sure what line.

litho

Reaction score
what other brands would you recommend? I am in Hong Kong so can pick up new clothes now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads