• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Semi-formal event, need your help guys.

Repurposes

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I am definitely not trolling.

I am now considering a french-cuff white shirt with cufflinks (that I have no idea about admittedly), and either a slim black tie or a very dark purple one. If I can find one, that is.
If you got any other input guys, I'm all ears.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
80% of the people will not be wearing black and white. Unless things have changed DRASTICALLY since I was in college, 99% of the guys are thinking just like you. They already have a crappy suit from Express or Macy's; they'd rather not "waste" their beer money on a nice suit; so they'll just set themselves apart with a loud shirt/tie combination. If you want to look good in an objective, classical sense, take everyone's advice: go with a white shirt and black or navy tie. Your audience (college-age girls, I'm assuming), however, might not necessarily appreciate the subtle refinement of classic black tie, so you might want to just consult your date or do whatever you think will get you the most attention from the opposite sex.

Last edited:

Snaporaz

Reaction score
I hear there are still some bear costumes available...

My preference would be traditional black tie, but you're perhaps right to be reluctant if so few others are going to wear it.

Wear the black suit, a white shirt and a black tie. A black suit is at its best in the evening- they are never quite right during the day, unless you're auditioning for a "Reservoir Dogs" remake- so now is the time to use it. A french cuff shirt, silver cufflinks and a white linen pocket square are all optional. A dark purple tie is as far as I'd push the colour.

The other options- knitted ties, stripe shirts, etc- smack of daywear and won't suit the black suit.

Repurposes

Reaction score
Alright lads, to wrap it up:

Black suit, fitting decently, sleeves shortened, slim waistline.
White french-cuff shirt.
Black oxford shine shoes, black belt with solid buckle (right?).

Now, pocket square options: White, Purple, Black with purple dots, Red.
Cufflinks: metallic or silk?

Just those two pieces to figure out and I'm game. What's your opinion guys?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Repurposes

Reaction score
Thanks, yes, I was thinking of solid rectangle buckles.

One quick question about about the tie, for educational purposes. Black normal size or slim? Or a dark one -- something that looks like this but a hint darker: http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/791956/. Are all of them equally good choices?

Socks, all black or can there bit some dark (fitting) color there? I guess the white pocket square eliminates all chances of matching the color to the socks.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, yes, I was thinking of solid rectangle buckles.

One quick question about about the tie, for educational purposes. Black normal size or slim? Or a dark one -- something that looks like this but a hint darker: http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/791956/. Are all of them equally good choices?

Socks, all black or can there bit some dark (fitting) color there? I guess the white pocket square eliminates all chances of matching the color to the socks.

Skip the solid buckle if you can.

Normal tie--skinny ties make you look like you are in a boy band. Im not a fan of solid black non-knit ties, but if youre going to do one, something formal like this is the time.

Darker tie than that--if youre going with the purple family, dark eggplant is the only really good option.

Socks, go nuts. As long as they are dark, it wont matter. Some will argue this, but this is really the lowest priority on the list. As long as they are dark, youll be fine.

Last edited:

socrates

Reaction score
My two cents. The combinations suggested and are choosing is the best choice for a formal event. So stick with it

The purple shirt and tie is a good choice to wear with a black suit for non formal events. Yes, there are many people here who will say you look like a clown. But But many people on this forum think you will look like a clown by simply wearing a black suit, if you wear jeans with a sports coat, a sports coat without a tie, a shirt and tie without a jacket. At the same time they think it is o.k. to wear coloured socks with a suit, or to wear a scarf as a fashion accessory. They take their own biased opinions and present them as facts. This is wrong, wrong, wrong! Think they are the owners of good taste. What arrogance! Take their advice with a grain of salt. There I said it and got it off my chest. Out of respect for the other members of this forum, I will not start a flame war, and let them have the last word.

Tie width: If you suit is a modern cut suit with very thin lapels avoid large ties. It will look disproportionate. If you suit lapels are three inches, do not go for ties that are over 3.5 in width.

Again my two cents. Do not go with a black tie. People who do that think that because a black tux, black bow tie work, a black suit, black bow tie will also work. What works for the former is the satin lapels of the tux match the satin fabric of the bow tie. A bow tie also takes up a small space on the chest allowing more contrast between the black tux and white shirt. Secondly, a tie is suppose to stand out. One will not wear a blue/ grey suit, with the exact same shade of a tie, so why black suit black tie? I like Bacnals advice better and would go with a blue tie. I would also make sure the tie is not too dark and matches the shade of the suit.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest you to keep your black suit for now, get a good white shirt and a white silk pocket square, but also a dark brown tie with a classic width. The latter 3 items can be easily found in websites or shops with reasonable cost.

White shirt, black suit and dark brown tie usually works well.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't the belt buckle be hidden for most purposes such that the choice of belt buckle, within certain bounds, would be by and large irrelevant anyway?

I thought a solid belt buckle as such like this here, would be okay -- http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Sterl...le/333F________SS____________,default,pd.html

A dark tie seems like your best bet -- dark navy, eggplant, even dark brown are all the next best option, given the suit colour.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nighttime means low lighting. That means you need high contrast in your outfit. Dark suit (black, navy, whatever), WHITE shirt, DARK tie (black, navy, eggplant, deep burgundy etc.) Personally, I like my nighttime ties to have pin dots. Creates the illusion of optical brilliance.

Pocket square needs to contrast with jacket. That means white. Or white with black or purple dots. Or even a black PS with white dots.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The purple shirt and tie is a good choice to wear with a black suit for non formal events.  Yes, there are many people here who will say you look like a clown.  But But many people on this forum think you will look like a clown by simply wearing a black suit, if you wear jeans with a sports coat, a sports coat without a tie, a shirt and tie without a jacket.  At the same time they think it is o.k. to wear coloured socks with a suit, or to wear a scarf as a fashion accessory.  They take their own biased opinions and present them as facts.  This is wrong, wrong, wrong! Think they are the owners of good taste.  What arrogance!   Take their advice with a grain of salt.    There I said it and got it off my chest.  Out of respect for the other members of this forum, I will not start a flame war, and let them have the last word. 

Are you mental? A purple shirt and tie are never to be worn, much less with a black suit. Formal or non formal, this looks like express level dogshit. If you have the audacity to wear a plain purple shirt, it should be worn with a navy suit and grey tie.

slim jeans (not skinny, not dad) with a tailored modern cut sportcoat are just fine and I don't think many disagree.

Sport coats without ties are in the same category.

Shirt and tie without a jacket looks absolutely awful unless you are remaining on your office floor. Walking around on the street like that is disgraceful.

Colored socks? well considering that everything but black is a color, I'd say yes, colored socks are a good look.

We may not be the owners of good taste, but your advice is the antithesis of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads