• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking suit fit advice

slm

Reaction score
Intelligentsia of StyleForum,

I ordered a suit from Spier and MacKay. It's the first suit I've bought since.... ever, since my mother bought my last one when I was in High School.

I have the following questions:

1. How are the shoulders? The seam where the sleeve meets the shoulder is over the 'edge' of my shoulder, which is what the internet says means that it fits, but I'm not entirely convinced. Do you see the "divots" that I've read about on here?

I included an "arms raised" picture in case it helps. If the shoulder width is off, is it just a matter of needing a different size jacket, or is it something more subtle than that?

2. Is the body of the jacket the right length?

3. Are the sleeves a good length, or too short? I don't have a dress shirt (yet) so I can't really try it on with representative sleeve lengths, unfortunately.

The whole thing looks like it fits decent to me, but if I'm dropping $350 plus some tailoring I want to get it right!

Thanks a lot, S.

IMG_1596.PNG
IMG_1597.PNG
IMG_15995.png

jts287

Reaction score
I don't see dimples- the shoulders have a roped style. I also think the fit and length are just fine.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shoulders look fine to me as well. However the jacket looks a bit tight in the chest/body when the button is fastened. Is this the slim or contemporary fit? If it's a slim, I'd consider trying on the contemporary fit.

slm

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice!

The shoulders look fine to me as well. However the jacket looks a bit tight in the chest/body when the button is fastened. Is this the slim or contemporary fit? If it's a slim, I'd consider trying on the contemporary fit.

The jacket is 40S Slim and the pants are 30 Contemporary. That's why I'm asking about the shoulders, I'm not fully convinced I'm actually a human triangle.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shoulder width looks okay from the front. How does it look from the back?
I'd still consider trying the 40S in contemporary. The slim looks tight in the chest. There is a little pulling with the button fastened and the lapels are bowing slightly.

slm

Reaction score
shoulder width looks okay from the front. How does it look from the back?
I'd still consider trying the 40S in contemporary. The slim looks tight in the chest. There is a little pulling with the button fastened and the lapels are bowing slightly.

Here are some pictures from the side. I don't have a back picture.

IMG_1608.PNG
IMG_1609.PNG

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m having a hard time finding anything wrong with that all, to be honest. Chest, shoulders, and sleeves look really good. The sleeves need to be shortened 2 cm which is absolutely normal for an OTR jacket. No more than that. I’d say you’ve r done really well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads