1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

SOTD - Chanel Pour Monsieur ... i'm sure most of you are familiar with this one so no need to write more about.

Also, I have been known to apply more than 5 sprays of some frags...especially ones that I think don't last that long...sometimes even 10!

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Zegna Forte today, from a sample vial. This is pleasant enough, sweetish, but I'd like it to be stronger. I think that I haven't applied enough with the dauber.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  3. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Mancera Sand Aoud today

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Pre-shower: Liaisons Dangereuses. This is dark, fleshy, jammy fruit with rose.
    SOTD: Prada Amber pour Homme. This is just a pleasant, soapy, somewhat sweet scent that would be really good for everyday wear. I don't know why, but I always pick up a strong note that smells like blueberry. Not real blueberries, but the taste that represents blueberry in blueberry yogurts and shakes. I've never seen anyone else mention that, so it must just be a quirk of mine. (I get something similar from Invasion Barbare, BTW.)

5. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Labdanum 18. The name of this is certainly appropriate. It's a sweet, warm labdanum scent with vanilla, but also some quite prominent animalic notes. As it dries down it becomes much more powdery.

6. James1051

James1051 Well-Known Member

For me today, it has been FMalle Geranium PM. You all know it, and I wore it because it is a summer favorite.

2 people like this.
  7. rossoz

rossoz Well-Known Member

SOTE: Bleu de Chanel for dinner in with GF.

Cheers,

8. L'Incandescent

SOTD was the new Eau de Magnolia by Frederic Malle. It's wonderful. Light and summery but nonetheless quite complex. It opens with bright citrus--bergamot and lemon. The magnolia note is not dense and heavy, but it still comes off as creamy. For a long stretch of the drydown, the custardy creaminess of the white florals blends stunningly with the lemon. There's a light, sharp woody note that I suspect might be Iso E Super, but I don't know for sure.

1 person likes this.
  9. James1051

Shifted gears for this evening. L'ombre dans l'eau EdP, a terrific green scent (black currant) complemented by rose and a babbling brook note! Unique!

2 people like this.
  10. L'Incandescent

SOTE: Domenico Caraceni 1913. Big rose with tobacco, dries down soapy. In the past I'd always applied too little of this and so all I got was soapy rose. What I experienced never corresponded to the reviews I read, so I tried applying more liberally. Doing so brought out facets of the scent I'd always missed, especially the tobacco. I like it quite a bit more than I used to.

11. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Big fan of the leafiness of the L'Ombre dans L'Eau.

Yesterday: Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur - this is up there as one of my top 10-15 favorite fragrances, with its violet aspect as well as the cumin note. The cumin is NOT a sweaty, body odor type of smell.

Today: Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano - this is not a world-beater of a fragrance, but it is a high quality, yet straightforward tobacco in the Italian style of fragrance making. Very comfortable scent.

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Have you tried Miller Harris Feuile de Tabac and Sonoma Scent Studios Tabac Aurea?

13. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

14. Master-Classter

so that's short for 'not yet'? ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. LeeroyDaBoy

LeeroyDaBoy Well-Known Member

16. James1051

Tonight I'm going with PG DjHenné. Lavender and mint sitting upon a mix of cedar, and myrrh. and a trace of chocolate powder. "Well blended" in the sense that the individual notes do not shout their presence. Sweet-ish. Works for me on summer nights.

17. Master-Classter

from earlier... wait, what? at the risk of you telling me to just go google that, what is this? I've never heard of it

A few mini reviews from sniffing some random vials on my desk...

Slumberhouse - Sova: Stewed fruit, particularly prunes and bananas. Thick syrup and cinnamon. Yep, old bananas in a crepe flambée or the prunes and stewed fruit in tea and syrup my mother used to make for desert (70's throwback?). Very rich and thick. Gourmand in an unusual way. Certainly very potent juice. Interesting, pleasant. I suppose I'd wear this on a cold windy fall day. It's comforting, the way I feel about Amber Absolute. I'm also getting a bit of sweet anise, and based off the notes, now I do see a slight yeasty hoppy beer connection. Very interesting stuff. Not something I'd get a bottle of because it's too specific and quite heavy handed but if you love rich dense gourmands, something like say Lutens Arabie then give this a shot.

Escentric Molecules - Kinski: I had no idea essentric molecules made this! Ok so I'm getting a watery woody scent, sort of like molecule 01 with a waxy dirty funk (mold?) smell. slightly spicey. Musty. green funkiness. maybe like wet moss on a old dead tree? I'll resmell this and even give it a small wearing, but for now i'd say too weird. I can see it's received a lot of positive (unique) reviews but this feels a little 'wrong' to my. Not a happy smell. Interesting artistically, so maybe if you're looking for just that, but more than edgy, it's a bit offputting. Will retest and write more but for now those are my thoughts.

Zhir - Corduroy: basically a bay rum with a prominent orange/mandarin top note and a watery suede dry down. A little generic smelling but still pleasant. Nothing worth seeking out. The type of thing that average Joe has in his underwear drawer and puts on after mowing the lawn on the weekend. It's not a bad scent, actually there's a lot worse out there, and I've used up most of the 5ml decant because I have kept coming back to this to consider it for a full bottle but I really dislike bay rums, and also after a few wearings now I've realized there's so much more out there (or I already own) that I really enjoy wearing, so why settle for something generic. I'd say a pretty good cheapie for someone starting out or without access to more interesting niche.

CB I Hate Perfume - In the Library: I've heard from two people recently that it makes them sneeze. Go figure. I'm getting a milky smokey scent, sort of a plastic play-doh like texture. Soft leather, hint of smoke, waxy (again?) creaminess. Also has what seems to be CB's common base, a sort of milky bog water earthy dirt accord. now I'm getting a wet paper bag. Overall it's pleasant, not particularly evocative. If he'd called it warm paper bag it would have still worked. I think the name is nicer than the scent. Will give it a few full wearings and I'd say maybe worth a sniff or sample buy but it's not an immediate love, and honestly this is supposed to be one of his better ones too.

And a few days ago I wore Mona Di Orio - Amber. Really smooth, slightly sweet, and slightly oudy actually. Wore SO well. It's present but not overpowering, smoothly blended and multifaceted. Really masterful work. Worth the price? well it's excellent juice, so at around $250-300 I'd say strong consideration. I don't know the price. If it's $350+ I'd say pass, but certainly 10ml decant worthy for sure.

18. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

It is part of his newest line (theme) of fragrances called 'Asian Tales'...

I also tried Bamboo Harmony and Imperial Tea from this collection. Bamboo Harmony is a very wearable green frag that starts with citrus and bergamot and neroli...and dries down into a very smooth light woody frag, i wouldn't say it is super woodsy, it is like you would think of bamboo woody but in a very clean green spa type of way...Imperial Tea is an amazing green tea frag...not something I would wear in public...but could definitely see myself lounging around in my home wearing this one.

19. L'Incandescent

Okay, since none of you buns-heads had the courage to acquire the new TF Velvet Orchid and write up a review, I decided to do it myself. :)

This is a flanker of Black Orchid, and it definitely shares its DNA. But it is a lot more than just a copy. The opening is very different, with bright citrus and rum. It's sweet, but not quite as syrupy sweet as the original. It completely lacks the overripe fruit notes that a lot of people dislike in Black Orchid. As it dries down, you move into a mass of floral notes; there's so much going on that I really can't distinguish what's in there. I can say that the florals are much less tropical than the ones in BO Voile de Fleur. That means less gardenia and tuberose. What I'm getting is just a dense mass of floral sweetness. The base is sweet and ambery. I think this would be perfect for anyone who really enjoys Black Orchid but finds it unwearable for a lot of situations. I'm a big fan.

Also, the bottle is just gorgeous. (I don't actually have a bottle.)

20. James1051

Thats a good description of Sova, a scent I disliked at first and came around to in a big way. Ended up buying a bottle.
    Unique.

Today: Tom Ford Lavender Palm, because I really like it. That's all I got.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.