• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Hmm. What I know of toilet vinegar (vinaigre de toilette en francais) is that it's a beauty product from the 19th century that's meant primarily for skincare. It really does have vinegar as one of the ingredients. They had a sharp, herbal smell; I wonder if that's what the fragrance is supposed to replicate?

I get green backed up by a faint hint of the musk. nothing really vinegar-y.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just noticed that Diptyque actually has a fragrance in their lineup called Vinaigre de Toilette. That's odd.

Do you like the Eau Particuliere?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I switched into Bond No. 9 Hamptons for the evening. I just reached into one of my boxes and decided to wear whatever I grabbed. I haven't worn this in a while. I definitely don't remember liking it as much as I'm liking it now. This is a wonderful crisp, green, velvety rose scent.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Welcome to SOTD!
How do you like it? I'm one of the few defenders of Byredo here, but I do understand the criticisms people tend to make. MM is very aromatic and masculine, but like some other Byredos, the longevity really leaves something to be desired. I think Bullion, Baudelaire, and La Tulipe are really good from this line. M/Mink is interesting; I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but it's fun to wear from time to time.
Master-Classter is our forum expert on Byredo. I wonder what he thinks of MM?

Byredo marvelous man. Had a sample from Barney's. Has anyone else tried it?

Welcome too! please keep posting and let us know what you're wearing and what you think.

(Mr. Marvelous). Have only worn this one a few times. I'm personally not a fan of green or herbal scents so it's not something I relate to. That being said it's one of the less popular ones in the line in terms of sales, so that may say something too. For me it's a good type of scent for someone who's maybe a little more into vintage stuff, old school or barbershop type scents like the wetshavers crowd. It smells to me like a guy who wears flannel and mows his own lawn. Something you could also wear to a gym, the kind with really old broken in boxing bags... for longevity my experience has been it's a medium level, meaning like 4-5 hours at best, probably closer to 2-3 good hours. It's based on limited experience wearing it though in all honesty.

One of these days Byredo is going to click with me - after it's been reformulated and I regret not getting the original formulations.

it's a certain style/aesthetic. I think as frag heads we're used to searching for more complexity and layers but the line generally seems to me to be fairly minimal and linear, but that's its charm. The criticisms I've seen of the line tend to either write off a frag as being too minimal or linear, which I don't take as a fair point. As for points about being overpriced, well yes, I do agree on that one. They're deliberately priced a little high to give the impression of high quality and prestige, which other smaller niche guys don't do. There's lots of good niche juice out there for less, so I think it's a fair point. They're not way off, basically like Le Labo prices I think as a comparison. the other interesting issue is because of the brand's story and philosophy, they don't drop and frags, even if they aren't selling that well. So I know we all complain about discontinuations, but they have their place. The line has nearly 20 fragrances now so it's a broad range and can be a bit overwhelming, plus IMO there are a few duds in there or ones like M/M that should have just been limited editions or something that are now a permanent part of the line... I think I'd say Byredo is almost a pseudo-niche in that they're a niche line started with the intention of being reasonably commercial. Guys like Ford intended the same thing. Guys like Malle accidently have become the same thing. and don't forget, as artistic as this all is, it's still a business, these guys are here to make money. they're doing what they like, but it's a business.

Inc/B - believe it or not but I was never told anything about Buillon and if I'm not mistaken it's a limited release for the middle east or something or Europe so we won't get it here in North America.

Yesterday: Bois d'Iles and still going strong on me. I'm telling you, those Chanel Les Exclusifs are some of the best buys in perfumery.
Agreed, quite a few of them are really boring but there are some solid winners in the lineup and the prices are very reasonable. I personally own big ol' bottles of a few of them. Def a line worth checking out.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh, I'm on vacation and have been wearing GIT for a few days now...

Gotta say I'm quite let down! The scent is a little meh, and honestly I can't smell a damn thing after like a 1/2 hour. I'll get little whiffs here and there for a few hours but I'm putting on like 4-5 big sprays at least and it's 30+ degrees here and still nothing. Will ask people around me if they smell anything... I wonder if it's just my skin or what? I've never really had good luck with any of the Creeds, plus their general style doesn't really appeal that much to me anyway, I just do feel some obligation to like them since they have so many fans

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome to SOTD!
How do you like it? I'm one of the few defenders of Byredo here, but I do understand the criticisms people tend to make. MM is very aromatic and masculine, but like some other Byredos, the longevity really leaves something to be desired. I think Bullion, Baudelaire, and La Tulipe are really good from this line. M/Mink is interesting; I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but it's fun to wear from time to time.
Master-Classter is our forum expert on Byredo. I wonder what he thinks of MM?

Byredo marvelous man. Had a sample from Barney's. Has anyone else tried it?

Welcome too! please keep posting and let us know what you're wearing and what you think.

(Mr. Marvelous). Have only worn this one a few times. I'm personally not a fan of green or herbal scents so it's not something I relate to. That being said it's one of the less popular ones in the line in terms of sales, so that may say something too. For me it's a good type of scent for someone who's maybe a little more into vintage stuff, old school or barbershop type scents like the wetshavers crowd. It smells to me like a guy who wears flannel and mows his own lawn. Something you could also wear to a gym, the kind with really old broken in boxing bags... for longevity my experience has been it's a medium level, meaning like 4-5 hours at best, probably closer to 2-3 good hours. It's based on limited experience wearing it though in all honesty.

One of these days Byredo is going to click with me - after it's been reformulated and I regret not getting the original formulations.

it's a certain style/aesthetic. I think as frag heads we're used to searching for more complexity and layers but the line generally seems to me to be fairly minimal and linear, but that's its charm. The criticisms I've seen of the line tend to either write off a frag as being too minimal or linear, which I don't take as a fair point. As for points about being overpriced, well yes, I do agree on that one. They're deliberately priced a little high to give the impression of high quality and prestige, which other smaller niche guys don't do. There's lots of good niche juice out there for less, so I think it's a fair point. They're not way off, basically like Le Labo prices I think as a comparison. the other interesting issue is because of the brand's story and philosophy, they don't drop and frags, even if they aren't selling that well. So I know we all complain about discontinuations, but they have their place. The line has nearly 20 fragrances now so it's a broad range and can be a bit overwhelming, plus IMO there are a few duds in there or ones like M/M that should have just been limited editions or something that are now a permanent part of the line... I think I'd say Byredo is almost a pseudo-niche in that they're a niche line started with the intention of being reasonably commercial. Guys like Ford intended the same thing. Guys like Malle accidently have become the same thing. and don't forget, as artistic as this all is, it's still a business, these guys are here to make money. they're doing what they like, but it's a business.

Inc/B - believe it or not but I was never told anything about Buillon and if I'm not mistaken it's a limited release for the middle east or something or Europe so we won't get it here in North America.

Yesterday: Bois d'Iles and still going strong on me. I'm telling you, those Chanel Les Exclusifs are some of the best buys in perfumery.
Agreed, quite a few of them are really boring but there are some solid winners in the lineup and the prices are very reasonable. I personally own big ol' bottles of a few of them. Def a line worth checking out.

Thanks for the info, M-C. :cheers:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: vintage Balenciaga Pour Homme. This is truly one of the great masculine fragrances of all time.

olivier.nyc

Reaction score

I switched into Bond No. 9 Hamptons for the evening. I just reached into one of my boxes and decided to wear whatever I grabbed. I haven't worn this in a while. I definitely don't remember liking it as much as I'm liking it now. This is a wonderful crisp, green, velvety rose scent.

This is one of my goto summer scents. I absolutely adore it.

SOTD: AdP Colonia Intensa Oud.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: Domenico Caraceni 1913. This is a big soapy rose. I'd wanted to try this for a long time, but when I finally did, I was disappointed. I've given it a lot of wears since then, but I still feel the same.

SOTD: Byredo Bullion. M-C is right, this was an exclusive for the Middle Eastern market. They also sold a small number of bottles from the Stockholm store IIRC. I got my decant from one of the regular online retailers, I forget which.

@Olivier.nyc: after the Hamptons dried down some more, I remembered why I wasn't a big fan. It starts to smell very synthetic and somewhat harsh once it gets to the heart. That's how I perceive it at least.

Last edited:

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today: Ramon Monegal Dry Wood. My reaction to Monegal always seems to be the same: this is well-made, occasionally interesting, but mostly unremarkable.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Les Exclusifs, it's Bois des Iles (EdT) today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads