• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

a sample, or the bottle? whattaya think?

Sample. I like it. I'd get in on a split, just to have 10ml around the house, but nothing more than that.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AgarAura - Aatma (pure oud oil) today. Yesterday something I really do not like: Boadicea the Victorious - Invigorating (I think..)

Guys, I need some more fragrances to sample. What do I like? Well, I can't really specify it. I like Jubilation XXV (Epic Man and Memoir Man, too), Himalaya by Creed, Puredistance - M, I don't like Lyric Man and Milesime by Creed (and said Boadicea), don't love Vetiver and BDP either. GIT is better, still I prefer Jubilation XXV. Does that help you to recommend me something? You probably know what I sampled by know. Maybe I am missing a few types of scents (I mean gourmands etc.)
If you can't, I'll just sample more good rated ones at basenotes.com. I'm really a newby with fragrances. It should be available at http://shop.essenza-nobile.de/?language=en . Thanks!

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: Giorgio for Men.

BTW: I heard that Lubin Idole is being released in an EdP version, with more frankincense, rose, and amber.

Frankly, it sounds like awesome with about 30% more win, but I'd like to hear actual feedback before I start drooling in earnest or talk seriously of a split.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vintage Tabarome. I have just a wee bit left of an old decant. Haven't worn this in ages - it smells like a musty old library, maybe with a bit of cigar smoke.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've got a sample of Strange Invisible Perfumes' Fire and Cream pure perfume in my jacket and just put some on - it's a lovely floral scent with some amber to it. I think L'Incandescent would like it, and after hearing his current leanings I've dabbled as well into florals to see what if anything struck my fancy.

Wow, thanks for the recommendation! Lately I've been really excited about Dior's Ambre Nuit, which is amber and rose. I'm definitely keen to try more floral ambers.

Today's my last day of teaching for this semester, so I decided to go with my favorite over the last few months: Bois 1920 La Vaniglia.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wow, thanks for the recommendation! Lately I've been really excited about Dior's Ambre Nuit, which is amber and rose. I'm definitely keen to try more floral ambers.
Today's my last day of teaching for this semester, so I decided to go with my favorite over the last few months: Bois 1920 La Vaniglia.

Have you tried Rose Poivree by Different Company?

Edit: I did a search of this thread for "poivree" and see that you certainly have!

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

AgarAura - Aatma (pure oud oil) today. Yesterday something I really do not like: Boadicea the Victorious - Invigorating (I think..)
Guys, I need some more fragrances to sample. What do I like? Well, I can't really specify it. I like Jubilation XXV (Epic Man and Memoir Man, too), Himalaya by Creed, Puredistance - M, I don't like Lyric Man and Milesime by Creed (and said Boadicea), don't love Vetiver and BDP either. GIT is better, still I prefer Jubilation XXV. Does that help you to recommend me something? You probably know what I sampled by know. Maybe I am missing a few types of scents (I mean gourmands etc.)
If you can't, I'll just sample more good rated ones at basenotes.com. I'm really a newby with fragrances. It should be available at http://shop.essenza-nobile.de/?language=en . Thanks!

I've been pondering this one. It's hard to pick out a clear set of commonalities among the fragrances you like, but I think I've got at least a little bit of a feel for what you're enjoying so far. (GIT is the outlier, I think.) Here's a few think I think are at worth trying out:
Idole de Lubin. (There's a new edp version out. I haven't tried it, but I can vouch for the edt. If I had to guess, though, I'd guess you'd prefer the edp.)
Hammam Bouquet--Penhaligons
New York--Parfums de Nicolai
Acier Aluminium--Creed
Leather Oud--Dior
Moss Breches--Tom Ford (Full disclosure: I recommend this to everybody! But I really do think it's in line with the things you like.)
Chergui--Lutens
Amber Absolute--Tom Ford
Arabie--Lutens
Ambre Sultan--Lutens
Taste of Heaven--Kilian

And now for a couple that are outside what seems to be your comfort zone, in categories you don't seem to have sampled a lot from.

Ambre Narguile--Hermes (apple pie and amber gourmand)
Bois des Iles--Chanel (aldehydic, creamy sandalwood. A masterpiece, IMO.)
Jicky--Guerlain (old-school French perfumery. lavender, civet, vanilla, and a hundred other things.)
Equipage--Hermes (classic, old school floral masculine elegance. Carnation)
Kouros--YSL (dirty civet, clove, incense)
Cologne Royale--Dior (classic cologne. Lots of options for this, but I think this one's really well done.)
Carnal Flower--Malle (the perfect tuberose)
Muscs Koublai Khan--Malle (dirty musk)
Fleurs de The Rose Bulgare--Creed. (Way outside your comfort zone! The perfect rose. Quite feminine. Too good not to try!)

Royal English Leather today.

How do you like this? I find it to be a wonderful rich, buttery leather, but with poor longevity

tps16

Reaction score
Royal English Leather today.

How do you like this? I find it to be a wonderful rich, buttery leather, but with poor longevity

I like it but find it a bit one-dimensional. Smells kind of like a saddle or an old leather armchair. I get a solid 8 hours out of it, although the initially strong projection dies down after the 1st hour or so. I find myself enjoying Cuir de Russie (Chanel, not Creed) much more than this.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday evening I was by myself at home and decided to perform a scent equivalent of walking around the house with just a shirt on - I sprayed a shitload of Geranium Pour Monsieur on me to revisit it. Previously we were talking about its fleeting spearmint qualities, but I really enjoyed what was left behind after a few hours and am still getting whiffs as I'm typing now. I think I like it but they need to triple the bottle size.

fungz0r

Reaction score
Great recommendation list L'Incandescent, I'm gonna save it for next batch of samples to try. Reminded me that I still have some Moss Breches left to try, haven't put it on in awhile

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More very sad news from the fragrance world today: Mona di Orio has passed away, apparently very unexpectedly. It was reported on her facebook page.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads