• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Am I the only person who thinks that Guerlain Vetiver smells exactly like a dentist's office? I've sampled it a number of times because of all the good reviews it gets, but I can't ever get past that association.

Originally Posted by willpower
+1000000000000000000

Smells like the cement they use to pack a tooth.

Originally Posted by scugger
for some reason when i smell tom ford's grey vetiver I get the smell of the mouth numbing stuff like lidocaine. sometimes i even get the smell of cocaine for that one.

I'm a dentist, and an owner of some Guerlain Vetiver, but I've definitely never made this association. I will be smelling for it next time around.

To me the most medicinal scent I've experienced (by far) is CdG White. Oddly, I love it.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ for me it was Serge Lutens Serge Noire. The opening has a strong clove note and since getting my wisdom teeth out and having some clove soaked gauze stuck in my infections the clove note makes me wince a little.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, the summer is starting to come on strong. That, or one of our A/C units has gone bad (which is sadly true). Anyway, I started sweating post-shower, and that generally means I only have a few realistic scents to choose from: Today was Mugler cologne.

boo

Reaction score
Dior Homme Intense today. There's a definite similarity to the original, but with the addition of chocolate and vetiver. Also feels much more masculine to me.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A trip from which I may not return: GIORGIO FOR MEN.

I did my usual 3-4 sprays, and should have known better. One spray on each wrist, one on the neck, ... and paint is peeling off the ceiling.

Ne'ertheless, this one is a great, old school power scent. Not for the weak, but a great combo with honey, patchouli, and enough kick to stop traffic. Having this, the original Antaeus, and the original Versace L'homme (OR the original Armani), and you'd be the coolest cat from 1984.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
A trip from which I may not return: GIORGIO FOR MEN.

I did my usual 3-4 sprays, and should have known better. One spray on each wrist, one on the neck, ... and paint is peeling off the ceiling.

Ne'ertheless, this one is a great, old school power scent. Not for the weak, but a great combo with honey, patchouli, and enough kick to stop traffic. Having this, the original Antaeus, and the original Versace L'homme (OR the original Armani), and you'd be the coolest cat from 1984.

Yep, that would do it. I enjoy it, but it is Fabio in a bottle and I have to tread lightly.

Speaking of treading lightly...today, Etro Shaal Nur, a dry smoky incense/vetiver that I'd forgotten I had. Very presentable and easygoing.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lanvin Oxygene Homme today. I'm reminded why I never wear this. It's by far the worst fragrance I own.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Le Feu d'Issey today. The anise and peach notes are usually the most prominent, but today I'm picking up some of that sour milk that the BN reviewers describe. Needless to say, I like that note less than the anise and peach.

is this a unisex scent?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by downwithianbrown
is this a unisex scent?

No, it was marketed as a feminine scent. But like a lot of scents that are marketed as feminine, it's perfectly wearable by men. I don't feel at all self-conscious wearing it.

If you haven't tried it, I'd highly recommend it. The opening is like nothing else I've ever tried--it seems like there's a hundred different notes competing for your attention. It eventually dries down to something like an overripe peach. Unfortunately, there is that strange note that smells like spoiled milk that sometimes jumps out and sometimes doesn't.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
Dior Homme Intense again today. This is taking a place on my top 5.
I was thinking of picking up a bottle of the DH. Do you think there's enough difference to warrant testing or even buying the Intense? PS - how's that swap box coming along?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, getting by on less sleep than I'd like...just like the past few days, and I've gone for something bright and rather dry, and reminds me of how I was 20 years ago when 4-hour nights weren't such a drain. Aramis New West.

boo

Reaction score
Montale Black Aoud today, having bought it blind. With just three sprays, I think I'm treading on overspray territory (two to the chest, one to wrist). Probably one of the most natural smelling scents I've come across. My nitpick is that I like my scents to have at least a hint of sweetness and this has none. Smells just like I rubbed roses and wood on my chest. Mrs. Boo remarked that I smell "gothic".

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I was thinking of picking up a bottle of the DH. Do you think there's enough difference to warrant testing or even buying the Intense?

If you like the original, not only is it worth testing, but IMHO it's a safe blind buy. I think they're sufficiently different to have both. But if you ask me right now, I can't imagine an occassion where I'd prefer to wear DH to DH Intense, other than just to mix things up. I used to love DH, but reading criticisms on basenotes likening it to lipstick and makeup bags messed with my head. You can still sense a bit of it in DH Intense, but it's much more muted. If it isn't available in Canada, strawberrynet has it, at least they did as of a week ago. I remember seeing a Hungarian-based eBay seller that was a bit cheaper, but I can't vouch for them.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
PS - how's that swap box coming along?

As of the beginning of the week, I heard WRAdisor had trouble contacting reptilia..I believe he's in Europe right now...so he was looking to send it to amerikajinda. I had mistakenly told him to contact amerikaninja, so that might have resulted in a delay
blush.gif
I threw a bunch of Bonds in there (and reserved some Dreamer and Nuit de Noho for you). I was tempted to sample the Liz Zorn Blood Orange, but all those warning labels scared me off lol.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
Montale Black Aoud today, having bought it blind. With just three sprays, I think I'm treading on overspray territory (two to the chest, one to wrist). Probably one of the most natural smelling scents I've come across. My nitpick is that I like my scents to have at least a hint of sweetness and this has none. Smells just like I rubbed roses and wood on my chest. Mrs. Boo remarked that I smell "gothic".

Love that Black Aoud. Three sprays is too much for me. I'd hit one chest and one wrist. Haha, yeah I get what your wife is saying about the gothicness.

I got my bottle of Encre Noire a few days ago. I think this scent is very versatile. Hot weather, cold weather, formal, casual.

Other than that I have been rocking a sample of Shaal Nur after seeing a few mentions here. Nice easy wearing vetiver with some smokeyness like Thomas said.

Today: rocking a sample of Miller Harris Terre de Bois,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads