• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: Mouchoir de Monsieur on one arm, Jicky EdT on the other.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Did you get a compliment?
devil.gif

nobody even noticed
eh.gif
, maybe I shoulda used more
sly.gif

boo

Reaction score
Rive Gauche today. I don't get the basenotes hype on this. It isn't a bad scent, but I'm not inspired to erect monuments in its honor.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
Rive Gauche today. I don't get the basenotes hype on this. It isn't a bad scent, but I'm not inspired to erect monuments in its honor.

It's perfect for an overcast funeral. Other than that I never seem to have a chance to wear it.

scugger

Reaction score
This is a really great fragrance in my opinion, but it seems so formal and old-school that I always felt odd wearing it even to the office. I finished the bottle a couple of years ago, but haven't felt compelled to buy another.
Yeah, Equipage feels pretty old-school to me as well. It is def nice, but I am trying to think about how I would fit in on a regular basis.
Originally Posted by Thomas
Actually, there were two pics that came to mind that were far larger: one was a large-scale decanter who had work tables covered with full bottles. Covered. The other one was a collector who put every bottle he owned in front of his fireplace. It was huuuuuge. The only drawback was that he had a ton of cheapies - but once you get to a certain count, there's not a whole lot left to draw from in terms of guy-friendly quality line-ups. I mean, SL has - what - 24 scents, Tom Ford a dozen or so? Then Bond, Le Labo, Guerlain, Nicolai, Malle. After that, you're into smaller-scale territory, with fewer than a dozen scents per house, or you go Lauder/Aramis, and the mass-market types. (BTW: guy's obviously a small-timer. In my house...the bottles that aren't in that season's herd...are in their boxes. That's right. in their BOXES!)
Haha crazy! Did you happen to save those pics? I'd be interesting in seeing them just for kicks. I don't understand the whole point of having a ton of full bottles of everything under the sun. I feel like you should curate your collection to what you are into. I remember seeing some YouTube video of a dude that posts on BaseNotes. He has hundreds and hundreds of full bottles. It seems like he collects them just to collect them. You listen to him talk and he is like, "oh yeah I have heard that X, Y, and Z were okay, so I bought full bottles. I sprayed it once and it was just okay." Not a fan.
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
today Encre Noire. I'm liking this more, but I still think Sycomore is much nicer
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
How is Encre Noire for year-round wear?
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I think it's fine. Personally I tend to prefer warmer sweeter stuff in winter like orientals and ambers and such, but sometimes on a cold winter morning I don't mind something a little crisper. I don't particularly like EN, at least I didn't at first. i've got a decant I'm working through, still not sure if I'd ever get a FB though. It holds up well in the summer heat as well as winter.
When I first tried Encre Noir, I really didn't understand what the fuss was about, but I tried it a 3 or 4 more times after the first sample and it really started to grow on me. At first I couldn't even really tell that it was a a fragrance (it did not smell perfumey at all), but now I get that vetiver and dirt thing. This seems very versatile to me in terms of weather and occasion. Low sillage (I think) and "natural". I keep hearing good things about Sycomore. Will have to try it someday. Last night: Tried C&S 88 for the first time. It seemed heavy and luxe and creamy. For some reason it reminded me a lot of Egoiste. I will need to give this a few days to settle in. Right now, I still prefer the rose of Black Aoud the best. Also, tried Kouros for the first time last night. Jeez! I do not think I could pull this off. I am surprised it is so popular. Just a small dab blasted me with me a mix of rive gauche and cat piss! I am glad this bad boy exists, but I cannot think of a situation where I would want to smell like this. Today: I am wearing Zegna Z. I bought a bottle of this a few years ago at Sephora. Trying to use this one up. An aquatic that I am not especially fond of anymore, but it works as an office scent.

Dane

Reaction score

Spill!
bounce2.gif

I'm still going back and forth between the two...Jicky has more musk in the drydown...did you notice that? MdM is much more subtle.

Dane

Reaction score

Spill!
bounce2.gif

I'm still going back and forth between the two...Jicky has more musk in the drydown...did you notice that? MdM is much more subtle...hmmmm.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scugger
Also, tried Kouros for the first time last night. Jeez! I do not think I could pull this off. I am surprised it is so popular. Just a small dab blasted me with me a mix of rive gauche and cat piss! I am glad this bad boy exists, but I cannot think of a situation where I would want to smell like this.

I felt like that the first time I tried Kouros. But then for some reason I felt compelled to give it another try. Now it's one of my favorites, and it's hard for me to imagine myself not liking it.

Eau d'Hermes today. I fell in love with this one the very first time I smelled it (which was lucky, because it was a blind buy). If I had a signature scent, I think this would be it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dane
Spill!
bounce2.gif

I'm still going back and forth between the two...Jicky has more musk in the drydown...did you notice that? MdM is much more subtle...hmmmm.

For the first time I can remember, MdM lasted through lunchtime. Of course, it's there at first sniff, and then my nose starts to ignore it again. Jicky is fuller, which makes it less appealing in the sumemrtime.

Originally Posted by vegasgz
Creed Acier Aluminium, if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative, please let me know. Thanks.

Hmm, have you tried Chanel Platinum Egoiste?

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunday - Histoires de Parfums' 'Marquis de Sade' - an initial burst of .... canned olives. Powerful, powerful canned olives (in vinegar). Afer about 30 minutes it drys down into quite a nice musky smell, but powerful and very long-lasting.

Monday - Odin New York's 'Nomad' - initial burst of licorice and a dry down of floral sweetness. But it is so slight - I could spray myself 10 times with this stuff and barely notice it.

boo

Reaction score
It's perfect for an overcast funeral. Other than that I never seem to have a chance to wear it.

That's describes the perfect occasion for it! Pleasant, yet understated so as to not announce to everyone that you're wearing it. I hope I don't have too many such occassions.

I felt like that the first time I tried Kouros. But then for some reason I felt compelled to give it another try. Now it's one of my favorites, and it's hard for me to imagine myself not liking it...

I get a urinal cake smell from Kouros, and it just so happens that I like the smell of urinal cakes. I plan on picking up a decant, but can't imagine myself going through a whole bottle.

Today I'm sampling Idole de Lubin. Getting a rum and orange peel scent that I really like. I initially didn't care for it after an intial spray on my wrist. It seemed to give off an annoying sharp metallic note. A full wearing, however, changed the feel completely.

I think I had my first scent-related dream last night. I had complimented some guy on his scent and asked what it was. He said it was a vintage Royal Scottish Lavender formulation from London that he had been hooked up with through a rapper (as in hip-hop) that he worked as an agent for. That is all.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wearing Mouchoir de Monsieur again today. Dane got me thinking about it again so I dug out the old bottle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads