• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am debating if I should create a Excel chart to keep track of my thoughts. But then I remembered I am not @otc.

Wearing Homesick today. It's out there, for sure. Im glad I don't have to go into the office.

I just have a note in my phone with all my scent notes. it's been really handy. def recommended.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Burberry today - got it as a sample.

Philosophical moment: I understand that one of the main symptoms of this new virus that's causing so much trouble is losing a sense of taste and smell. Bearing that in mind, I feel that putting on a fragrance everyday has become a sort of ritual - a reminder that you're here, alive and well. It gives a sense of being grounded, as well as groomed.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Philosophical moment: I understand that one of the main symptoms of this new virus that's causing so much trouble is losing a sense of taste and smell. Bearing that in mind, I feel that putting on a fragrance everyday has become a sort of ritual - a reminder that you're here, alive and well. It gives a sense of being grounded, as well as groomed.
Expensive fragrances are today's canary in the coal mine...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find it helps immensely to transfer those dabbers into small atomizers. You'd be amazed how much better you can smell something that has been sprayed, that was meant for spraying. You can get them cheaply in bulk on Amazon.

I had been using Fragrantica for notes, you can keep a "notebook" that only you can see for thoughts and such. It is fun to go back and resmell things to see how your perspective evolves. That said, go OTC on it.
I am gonna buy some atomizers.

BUT.... in the meantime guess what I did?

Imaginary AuthorsEvery Storm a SerenadeA little sweet, I think this is what marine scents are supposed to smell like. It makes me wish I lived near the coast/reminds me of big, wild, open, West Coast beaches. Feels like a cooler-weather scent. I would probably buy a bottle of this, depending how much I like other marine scents.

I think one thing that would help me in this hobby is if there were a Platonic Form of, say, Amber or Camphor. That way I could actually identify what I'm smelling because lmao I got no fuckin clue. Also I don't really care that much but still.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can buy from the perfumer's apprentice starter perfumers kits with a mix of synthetic and natural aroma chemicals so you can do just what you're saying. Many things don't actually have a smell and the perfumer creates an impression of it. For example you bring up amber. Amber doesn't have a smell, but we have come to associate it with some sort of vanilla, spicy blend that can lean drier and dirtier, or sweater and lighter. Same thing with fig, and fern (fougere) no smell at all, just "accords" of other things built up to smell like something.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can buy from the perfumer's apprentice starter perfumers kits with a mix of synthetic and natural aroma chemicals so you can do just what you're saying. Many things don't actually have a smell and the perfumer creates an impression of it. For example you bring up amber. Amber doesn't have a smell, but we have come to associate it with some sort of vanilla, spicy blend that can lean drier and dirtier, or sweater and lighter. Same thing with fig, and fern (fougere) no smell at all, just "accords" of other things built up to smell like something.
Thanks! Yeah I knew that fougere were just impressions. I did not know that about fig.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm springing for a bottle of Le Lion. @mhip, you'd really appreciate this, I think.

This one and Sycomore are the best two from Chanel, in my opinion.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Even though now i have a job where honestly....it's really the same as it always has been.... i still work remotely and before I started it i found what you were saying to be very true. There's something about going through the rituals and not just wearing sweats and slippers all day every day.

Granted if like me you wear a suit amd tie too you also realize there's a bit of an affectation to it as well.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update from yesterday: the Imaginary Authors dried down to be basically a one-note camphor note. It wasn't bad at all but considering it was 15-20% of the time this really interesting scent and then immediately a one-note aroma for the rest of the day....and it reminded me of Green Irish Tweed (a not-as-good version no less...not bad just not as good) so I would have to say no to buying a bottle, maybe to another spray as a sample.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BortnikoffVesnaSweet, fruity, a bit of leather. I don't really know the fruits I'm smelling. Slightly tropical, a bit of musk. Maybe a bit too feminine.Borderline professional smelling. It's very nice though. Worth considering buying.Feb. 4

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a sample and it really is a beautiful fragrance. Can't figure out if I want to wear it myself or if I want to smell someone wearing it, though.

I felt the same when I first tried it, but I have since been told that it smells very masculine on me, so skin chemistry plays a role in how the notes develop (as always).

It's definitely lower on the list compared to some of my favourites, but I save those for the right occasions.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BortnikoffAmberSuper floral, mainly Star Jasmine. Mandarin orange rounding things out. Very summery. Fragrantica says this has oud but I get nothing but white flowers and some sweet citrus. It's nice but why would I buy this when I have Mandarino di Amalfi? Feb. 5

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads