• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules? It's basically Iso E Super that is supposed to mix with your natural body odor to create a unique scent. Hard to believe it would work, but I've read a lot of reviews saying it's a major compliment getter.

I've tried it. TBH, I think that the whole "invisible scent" stuff is a scam.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules? It's basically Iso E Super that is supposed to mix with your natural body odor to create a unique scent. Hard to believe it would work, but I've read a lot of reviews saying it's a major compliment getter.

I haven't tried the fragrance, but are they citing pheromones or the like?

Actually, I wonder if there might not be a reason some scents are more popular in different areas because of skin chemistry. The Italians that I know can wear citrus all day long, but it completely dissipates on me within a couple of hours, whereas I can wear ouds and cedar/pine without it getting cloying, etc.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't tried the fragrance, but are they citing pheromones or the like?

Actually, I wonder if there might not be a reason some scents are more popular in different areas because of skin chemistry. The Italians that I know can wear citrus all day long, but it completely dissipates on me within a couple of hours, whereas I can wear ouds and cedar/pine without it getting cloying, etc.

It's not really pheromones. It's ISO-E Super, which is normally added to fragrances to boost its projection. Molecules 01 kicked off a whole trend in fragrances with this kind of thing. The trend can be broadly described as minimalism or "invisible fragrances." I think it follows from Jean Claude Ellena's "clean fragrance" trend, but this one is even softer, more minimalistic, and fleeting.

There's a whole class of fragrances like this. Aether, for example, is basically ISO-E Super with a touch of various notes. One might be woodier, another more citrusy. But they're all basically skin scents with ISO-E Super. DS & Durga has their own version of this called I Dont' Know What. When Virgi Abloh collaborated with Byredo, he said he wanted the scent to smell like "nothing." The Byredo scent is called Elevator Music because it's supposed to play in the background.

All these scents promise a few things: that they'll mix magically with your skin chemistry, that they'll make you alluring and attractive, and most of all, that they won't be very detectable. When you spray these things on, they are indeed undetectable. At best, they smell like your skin after you've washed your hands with soap. At worst, they're completely undetectable until you press your skin up to your nose -- and even then, you're not sure if you're smelling anything.

But I think they're popular because people are very self-conscious about perfume nowadays. In the past, if you went through the trouble of spritzing yourself, you wanted people to notice. People wanted a "signature scent." Now that people are much more self-conscious about "smelling," this invisible scent trend promises to cover up your tracks. You'll smell "good" but no one will notice, and if they do, they don't know why. The scent promises to be some kind of alluring halo around you.

When I sampled a bunch of these things, it felt like little more than spraying water on yourself. I think ISO-E Super plays a role in normal perfumery, but I think the stuff is too hard to detect on its own. It feels more like a marketing ploy than anything.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not really pheromones. It's ISO-E Super, which is normally added to fragrances to boost its projection. Molecules 01 kicked off a whole trend in fragrances with this kind of thing. The trend can be broadly described as minimalism or "invisible fragrances." I think it follows from Jean Claude Ellena's "clean fragrance" trend, but this one is even softer, more minimalistic, and fleeting.

There's a whole class of fragrances like this. Aether, for example, is basically ISO-E Super with a touch of various notes. One might be woodier, another more citrusy. But they're all basically skin scents with ISO-E Super. DS & Durga has their own version of this called I Dont' Know What. When Virgi Abloh collaborated with Byredo, he said he wanted the scent to smell like "nothing." The Byredo scent is called Elevator Music because it's supposed to play in the background.

All these scents promise a few things: that they'll mix magically with your skin chemistry, that they'll make you alluring and attractive, and most of all, that they won't be very detectable. When you spray these things on, they are indeed undetectable. At best, they smell like your skin after you've washed your hands with soap. At worst, they're completely undetectable until you press your skin up to your nose -- and even then, you're not sure if you're smelling anything.

But I think they're popular because people are very self-conscious about perfume nowadays. In the past, if you went through the trouble of spritzing yourself, you wanted people to notice. People wanted a "signature scent." Now that people are much more self-conscious about "smelling," this invisible scent trend promises to cover up your tracks. You'll smell "good" but no one will notice, and if they do, they don't know why. The scent promises to be some kind of alluring halo around you.

When I sampled a bunch of these things, it felt like little more than spraying water on yourself. I think ISO-E Super plays a role in normal perfumery, but I think the stuff is too hard to detect on its own. It feels more like a marketing ploy than anything.

Very interesting. I am also skeptical of the idea of a fragrance based upon a boosting ingredient, though I haven't tried these.

I shall never understand anyone's aversions to smelling good, apart from actual allergies to some natural ingredients. If you pick good fragrances for you, they will never smell like too much.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One fragrance I have tried recently is Des Clous Pour Une Pelure from Serge Lutens. It has some citrus notes, but also a depth that I actually find very nice for a fall scent. Thinking of picking up a bottle this season.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I have read, these kinds of scents are meant to smell 'clean'. That's it. Like cleanliness, neutrality, nothing.

Personally I prefer it when Iso-E is used to realy accentuate something more challenging, which is why I like L'Encre Noir.

If there's anything i would never wear - well, actually there are a lot of things: most things like remind me of an airport duty free: big, brassy, 'sports' scents and massively metallic and synthetic smelling stuff. In other words, the vast majority of what most people would think of when they think of after-shave or cologne. Funnily enough, this does not necessarily have any relationship to price or reputation.

harlequin782

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with elysium by roja?

Pretty good scent. Weak projection and longevity. Ive gotten good compliments on it though. Juicy, bright, fresh citrus opening, with a zingy juniper berry vibe, and a slightly smokey/earthy vetiver and mildly tart black currant drydown. A bit of the best parts of Bleu De Chanel and Aventus blended together.

Last edited:

shoewarma

Reaction score
It's far too common in Toronto. I don't mind so-called "artificial" scents, since they're usually just more stable formulations of natural ingredients, but Sauvage does smell like a chemical note to me.
You know, if you were to ask me why I dislike Sauvage and other mainstream fragrances so much, I would've said it's because they're too common. But are they really all that common? I rarely ever smell or pay attention to scents on other people. The only thing I notice is whether it smells decent or terrible. I have rarely noticed Sauvage on others, except for maybe once. It does smell like a common scent, but it's not necessarily commonly used by every average schmuck.

shoewarma

Reaction score
I would also like to shine a spotlight on Geo F. Trumper's Eucris Eau de Toilette. Man, this is a true fougere with lots of vintage character. It's very mossy, but somehow devoid of any brightness. People like to call it dark, but I wouldn't use that word to describe it. I know if something isn't bright, then it must be dark, but I just don't know what the correct word in this case would be. Anyway, I don't like musty qualities in fragrances, but Eucris makes use of it in the most perfect way possible. This makes me think of horse carriages traveling on cobblestone roads and dungeon-like pubs in England. I wasn't sure about the scent of my other Eucris products, but I'm happy I picked up a bottle. I think it would go very nicely with tweed garments.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, if you were to ask me why I dislike Sauvage and other mainstream fragrances so much, I would've said it's because they're too common. But are they really all that common? I rarely ever smell or pay attention to scents on other people. The only thing I notice is whether it smells decent or terrible. I have rarely noticed Sauvage on others, except for maybe once. It does smell like a common scent, but it's not necessarily commonly used by every average schmuck.

Let me put it this way: in the course of 3 days one week, with a mask half the time, I smelled that fragrance no less than 7 times. Three of those times took place as I exited the same subway station. This was at the height of summer, possibly the worst time for such a powerhouse of projection.

Ultimately it's not even one I would go for in the first place, but these days do not help!

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also like to shine a spotlight on Geo F. Trumper's Eucris Eau de Toilette. Man, this is a true fougere with lots of vintage character. It's very mossy, but somehow devoid of any brightness. People like to call it dark, but I wouldn't use that word to describe it. I know if something isn't bright, then it must be dark, but I just don't know what the correct word in this case would be. Anyway, I don't like musty qualities in fragrances, but Eucris makes use of it in the most perfect way possible. This makes me think of horse carriages traveling on cobblestone roads and dungeon-like pubs in England. I wasn't sure about the scent of my other Eucris products, but I'm happy I picked up a bottle. I think it would go very nicely with tweed garments.

Oh, I love this one. It's oakmoss, but clean and definitely vintage in character. I think the word I'd use is aloof - should be worn by a man who's dressed very sharply.

One of my favorite fougeres, without a doubt.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Let me put it this way: in the course of 3 days one week, with a mask half the time, I smelled that fragrance no less than 7 times. Three of those times took place as I exited the same subway station. This was at the height of summer, possibly the worst time for such a powerhouse of projection.

Ultimately it's not even one I would go for in the first place, but these days do not help!

me thinking about what it would be like to live in a city where that many people wear fragrances

EfFBKl9XoAE6CBM.jpeg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
me thinking about what it would be like to live in a city where that many people wear fragrances

View attachment 1451386

Honestly, it's not all that many, but the choices are fairly similar. Terre d'Hermes (of course) and Cool Water also seem popular.

I notice a far greater variation on women all the time.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Where do you live?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur