• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bois d'Orage last night. Can still smell it this morning. This is becoming one of my favorites.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: Voyage d'Hermes
SOTD: Rose Nacree du Desert

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rance Duc de Berry again today. I couldn't be arsed digging through my drawer.

Had a good haul at the market yesterday. Minis of Ted Lapidus Homme, Gaultier Classic EDT, Gaultier Classic EDP and YSL Paris, plus bottles of Dioressence, YSL In Love Again (NIB) and Je Reviens (full).

Would any of these work as a unisex frag, or should I send them all to eBay?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This weekend: Geranium Pour Monsieur, but I found a bottle of Gucci Pour Homme, the original one, for $57 today and wearing it this evening.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to work.
1725 for me today. Like it. Shares that lavender+anise accord they used in 1828. Not sure which I prefer.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This weekend: Geranium Pour Monsieur, but I found a bottle of Gucci Pour Homme, the original one, for $57 today and wearing it this evening.
Nice find. Where'd u find it?
I rarely bother looking in those mall kiosks u see everywhere. Maybe I should rethink that.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found it in a woman's clothing store that I followed my wife into and they had some men's fragrances in the back. That was the only Gucci Pour Homme and the rest were olde tyme.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jules by Dior

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Currently sorting through a stack of samples, so here's my quick-and-dirty thoughts based on sniffing vials:

(fun fact for you techies, DOS, the operating system actually stands for QDOS, ie quick and dirty operating system)

Parfum D'Empire Cuir Ottoman - wow, I'm not a leather guy particularly but this is really nice off the bat. It's sort of got a honeyed sweetness and then a smooth slightly smokey leather. It's nowhere near as sharp as Knize or it's ilk or as soft as say the suede-y Daim Blond or Botega (women's)... Some warmth, very smooth, and a hint of florals. Very easy to wear and versitile. Not macho macho man, but still masculine. I'm impressed! Will have to skin test this out sometime. Colors I see are mustard, orange, brown, and hints of black. It's short and compact, everything blended together into a watercolor blur. For anyone who even remotely like leather, I'd say a must TRY.

Odin 04 Petrana - umph, not my cup of tea. I know there's people who'll like this sort of thing. It has a sort of chemical petrolium vibe off the top, reminds me immedietely of a CdG type scent plus Farenheit, though I own plenty of both. There's something almost bubly about this, like a white rounded bubble popping up. Now I'm getting more sort of earth. The official BN notes tell me it's Orris (Iris?) and white musks. I guess I get a sort of boggy earth vibe. Feels like an unfinished MfK scent with all the white musk. Overall pretty simple and lackluster IMO. I get white colors and some browns. BN reviews say there's quite a bit of violets in here too which I'm really not a fan of. Totally boring and a PASS IMO.

L'Artisan L'Eau de L'Artisan - eh, it's an EdC. These rarely get me excited. I'm getting a sort of plastic/rubber topnote that reminds me of some bubble stuff I used to blow as a kid, that neon pink stuff in a squeeze tube you put on the end of a straw and blow a big bubble with. Anyone? Past that, some bitter petigrain, Neroli, basic citrus like lemon/lime/mandarine. A BN reviewer says there's basil in here too. Just go buy Monsieur Balmain instead for $30. Baby blue shimmering water with some orange and green dots. Eh, PASS unless you're OCD about trying every EdC out there.

Amouage Lyric (Men) - oy, I've got some clean soapy things but this is a no go off the top. A super soapy white musky chemical mess. This is for men? sht I wear No.5 and I wouldn't wear this. Plus, honestly it just smells really cheap. OK just read BN reviews ... well I'm not a rose fan generally and all I get is an inflated white musk thing, none of the other proported notes. Maybe a little green rose, but buried. YYMV but IMO there's a vague baby powder resemblance to Reflection but otherwise if it were a blind sniff I'd never bother sniffing it again or ever guess it came from Amouage. Might have to retest incase but so far really didn't like it. If you love rose, I guess give it a sniff, otherwise I think Amouage has better. hmf, that was a surprise. PASS(?)

SoOud Asmar Eau Fine - Huh, call me crazy but I was expecting Oud. Starts off with a weird grapey rubbery note, I instantly see dark purple. But within a minute it changes to a dusty wood through a somewhat powdery phase and then it goes to a warm honeyed tobacco scent all off the scent stick within a matter of minutes. Honestly it's actually very nice! Sort of like Kilian's B2B honeyed tobacco vibe. Now, for 60ml at $225, I'd say pass, but if you're curious to stretch your nose muscles or really like warm wood or tobacco, it's worth getting a sample. If money is no object, nor do you care if the bottle is ugly, then it's a TRY, otherwise, as nice as it is, there are similar options more readily available for much cheaper, but I still think this one is worth testing at least incase it grabs you. Think Back to Black without the Cherries and a hint of powder instead of cloying.

Last edited:

David23

Reaction score
So disappointing when you find a fragrance you enjoy but it doesn't work with your body chemistry. Frapin 1270 doesn't last much on my skin.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Moar:

Mazzolari Lui - Wow, heavy heavy hitter here folks. Strong beeswax or something resinous off the bat. It smells oily and sticky. This is a Lucky Scent sample so I know it's current but this smells like vintage style juice. I'm getting an Anteaus vibe here. Resinous honey and maybe a leather? some incense and spices? phew, this sample is really stinking up the air, which if you like the smell then it's a thick delicious bath. I got a hint of some funk for a second, something personal and dirty like stinky sweat. Reading BN reviews now. Ah, patchouli, that's what I was smelling. Yes, so earthy funky sticky resin. It's got a dark brownish yellow color in my mind. Hell, even the juice is that color. I'd say if you love either vintage Anteaus or Goutal Sables (very similar) then it's a TRY. If you're at all into patchouli or things like heavy Immortelle, then give it a shot. On the downside, I'd say it's really a heavy take no prisoners scent, and it's a bit linear. A few notes, but doesn't really go anywhere. Reminds me a lot of Sables actually the more I think about it.

Kieko Mecheri Cuir Cordoba - Was this just a whole bag of leather samples? my first thought is fruity leather, like Armani Privee Cuir Amethyst. It's sort of peachy and a bit powdery. I'd say pretty firmly feminine. It's a floral, soft fruity leather. Maybe like Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur? Just read BN reviews. I knew there was Violets in this! It's a decent composition. Not the kind of stuff I particularly like, but if you like the above two, particularly the Heeley then it's a TRY, otherwise in general I'd say PASS. It's not a bag fragrance, but somewhat generic niche IMO.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So disappointing when you find a fragrance you enjoy but it doesn't work with your body chemistry. Frapin 1270 doesn't last much on my skin. 

My experience exactly.

Parfum D'Empire Cuir Ottoman - wow, I'm not a leather guy particularly but this is really nice off the bat. It's sort of got a honeyed sweetness and then a smooth slightly smokey leather. It's nowhere near as sharp as Knize or it's ilk or as soft as say the suede-y Daim Blond or Botega (women's)... Some warmth, very smooth, and a hint of florals. Very easy to wear and versitile. Not macho macho man, but still masculine. I'm impressed! Will have to skin test this out sometime. Colors I see are mustard, orange, brown, and hints of black. It's short and compact, everything blended together into a watercolor blur. For anyone who even remotely like leather, I'd say a must TRY.

Agree M-C. I'm not a huge leather fan, but this one is my favourite, with Tom of Finland.

I have gone for an EdC today; the ever-reliable Acqua di Parma.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Evan Moar:

Profumum Dulcis in Fundo - translation anyone? No hablo Italiano... Wow, another heavy hitter. Could smell it as soon as the vial opened. OK, I got a hint of mint and petrolium/tar with something thick, which all sounds bad but it's good! ok, a few seconds later i'm getting strong wafts, hell very strong wafts of something very sweet and rich. It's a very rich heavy boozy vanilla, somewhat plastic synthic edge. Hmmm, this is nice! Strong, deep vanilla. You might think feminine but I think it still retains the male footing quite well here. Smelling 30 seconds later, there's still this sort of minty green first second to the sniff and then all the warm heavy boozy vanilla. It's a bit heavy handed but I'm impressed so far. Now, would I wear this stuff? not so sure, it's helluva strong so a dab goes a long way. Maybe more worthy of a decant, plus bottles are about $250. If you love Vanilla, along the lines of Guerlain Double Vanille, then it's a try, if you're not a big gourmand person, well I'd say overall it's nice but a PASS. Again, not because it's bad per se, just because there are a lot of other gourmands out there and this is sooo potent. Plus it has limited versatility IMO. I'll end up putting some on my girlfriend but keep the sample for reference to retest in a couple of years and see if I change my mind. Afterthought, wow, my whole room just really smells of this stuff. It's not going away. Need to go take a break and air out my room just to keep on sniffing lol.

Nez a Nez Atelier D'Artiste - well I like the name! and the guy who started NaN apparently did SoOud, so that's an interesting connection. ok, so the smell. Fruity plastic? definitely getting some sort of juicy fruits like berries. boozy now. BN reviewer said something about smelling like Frapin and I agree. Pretty sure I'm also getting a tobacco leaf here too. Hmmm, sort of an odball this. Not bad, not immediately great. I sound like I'm on repeat but it's a sort of watery fruity leather/amber/tobacco type scent. Much more open and juicy than the others above. Will have to retest this to get a better sense since I think my nose is starting to get full.

Cacharel Gloria - technically marketed as a women's fragrance, but I think a guy could wear this for sure. It's simple, but pleasant. I'm getting cherry tobacco almonds and a light touch. It's warm, not overly sweet, and rather cozy. This is a woman you want to hug/snuggle. It could be an aunt, or sweet highschool love. Discontinued in 2002 so I doubt you'll find it anywhere, so technically it's a PASS. Pleasant enough, nothing really unusual about it, could be a simple signature scent for a mousy lady.

Kieko Mecheri Oliban - vial is empty so just sniffing the stick and fumes. My first thought is immortelle and incense. I'm intrigued... honeyed, thick, maybe a tad dirty. maybe a candied lemon? Leathery resins... it's a shame this is only fumes, this smells very promising. Again, maybe heavy handed, but so far so good. Based on BN reviews, they're adding frankincense, cedar, and a description of slightly urinous honey type notes. Actually I'd say if you like Divine L'Homme Sage, this will be right up your alley too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads