1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Saville Row Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GodAtum, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Sleats

Sleats Senior member

Thanks - Just wish I had more time to update it a little more often.... in fact there is a New Years resolution there somewhere!!!

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

It's worth considering the tailors who work in the Holborn area serving the Inns of Court etc. They tend to be a lot cheaper than the Savile Row tailors, but still of very high quality. Two of the best are Connock and Lockie (about whom I have heard very good things, and I've seen excellent examples of their work), and Sims and Macdonald, both on Lambs Conduit Street. They both do fully bespoke for 1000+ or thereabouts.

Incidentally, if you are really strapped for case, there used to be several small tailor's shops in the same area who do really well-priced OTR/MTM suits in a very limited range of cloths. I suspect their main market is people appearing in court in a rather different capacity those served by the bespoke makers, however I bought two navy and charcoal pinstripe suits from one for when I went off to teach in Japan back in the mid 90s, had them adjusted in store, and they actually fit me me really well. I wish I had kept them now.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I can highly recommend Tom. He made my smoking jacket for me and a lovely navy herringbone suit which I wear regularly. A lovely chap, too, whom I talk cricketing matters over with.

4. Russel

Russel New Member

Made to measure means they make it to your measurements. I don't know how you are struggling to find one in your size in an outlet store because that is the definition of "off the peg".

5. burtonbradstock

burtonbradstock Active Member

Hi there, Looking for a three piece tweed suit for my wedding; one that I can wear again for stage purposes (i'm a singer) and through extensive research, have found myself visiting both Connock and Lockie and Sims and MacDonald. Both very approachable. Connock being more approachable, which is not surprising at there price of £2400, and Sims quoting £1600.
    I'm torn between the two! The main difference being that Connock are solely bespoke, with everythin being hand stiched and sims just hand cutting the cloth, with the rest machine stitched.
    i suppose that i've awnsered my question, but would still appreciate any advise.
    I was told fomr a good source that if I sourced the cloth myself, and went to these guys, that I would find something around £1500. Connock... are way off this.

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Tweed...for a wedding...? :hide:

7. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

YES!

8. gegarrenton

gegarrenton Senior member

I'm glad this thread got bumped because there is some high quality LOL's going on.

9. burtonbradstock

burtonbradstock Active Member

Hi there, Sims and MacDonald quoted me £1600 for a 3 pce. Have the prices gone up that much since this post?

10. fu2018

fu2018 New Member

Not too sure how you can say Fielding and Nicholson are not bespoke! When I bought a suit (one of three) from there, i met with their cutter, having had all my measurements taken the cloth was cut in London (I saw him at work) and following a couple of fittings all my suits have been perfect. If you wish to bring down the reputation of a reputable company then at least get your facts right first.