• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Savile Row House Styles Guide

MontyChapman

Reaction score
Could someone explain the necessary tailoring terms and also introduce me to the house styles of the following Savile Row tailors?

I hope this could serve as a basic guide to those beginners out there (like me) who want to educate themselves with each tailor's house style and any must-know tailoring terms to glide in!

1. Gieves & Hawkes
2. Anderson & Sheppard
3. Huntsman
4. Henry Poole
5. Davies & Son
6. Welsh & Jefferies
7. Dege & Skinner
8. Norton & Sons

And any other prominent Savile Row tailors or any other Savile Row tailors you had experiences with!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two posts I've written that you may find useful

This is about casualwear, but may help you think about clothes in terms of shapes.

Very generally speaking, there are two ends on Savile Row. Anderson & Sheppard is known for their softer shoulder, draped chest, and slightly rounder silhouette (all relatively speaking). On the other end, there's Huntsman, which has a stronger, more padded shoulder and X-shaped silhouette (Richard Anderson does this as well). Henry Poole is somewhere in the middle.

You can see some of these distinctions here

MontyChapman

Reaction score
Thank you so much, dieworkwear for your guides!

But I think this post could also benefit from a few lines each on the house styles from the members of styleforum to show the wideness of opinion!

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is so much subjectivity on the various houses and around what a man should look like. For example, one person may think the structured Huntsman look is classic masculinity while another may think it makes a man look like a stiff.

Simon does a good job in his style breakdown series.

Diamondflame

Reaction score
A lot has already been written on the various Savile Row styles; I’m not so sure if bringing them all under one thread is a good idea. Every house has its own quirks, either by virtue of tradition or in-house tailors’ own stylistic preferences. I wouldn’t necessarily call one better than another. It’s really up to the individual to find a style that flatters his own body figure. The learned ‘masters’ here can point us to the doors but the path you take is your own.

For instance, I own a Huntsman. The drape and silhouette are indeed exceptional but the quarters are an inch too long for my more modest height.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads