• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Savile Row First Timer!

bababooey

Reaction score
Heynow Gents. My name is Parker. 30 years old. I just stumbled upon this wonderful forum! I am quite impressed with the information and knowledge. I am looking for advice with regards to suits and tuxedo's. I have never had MTM or Bespoke before and am looking to buy the best possible. A friend of mine said Savile Row MTM and Bespoke is the only way to go. He recommended two Savile Row tailors.. Richard James and Richard Anderson. They are coming to NYC for their US Tour in a few months and am considering booking an appointment with one of them. Quick background so you can understand my style. I am a young gent in my 30's. I do not wear suits to work as I dress very casually.. so these will be for dinners, events, weddings etc (not everyday use). I am approximately 6' 160 lbs. very slim and slender. I do not typically dress up when going out, my usual outfit is a Ralph Lauren cashmere sweater, jeans/pants and loafers. (That is my style to a T). Which of the two tailors would you recommend? Is one more "younger/contemporary" that would fit my age range and style versus the other? Or is there another Savile Row tailor that tours the US I need to look at? I appreciate any and all advice and am looking forward to contributing to this great forum in the future! Thanks!

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your name isn't Gary?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fa Fa Fo Hi

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are truly interested in getting a bespoke suit, I would avoid worrying about what looks contemporary or trendy since trends change and a well made and well cared for suit that is worn infrequently will last you a long time. I'd focus more on finding the style and cut of suit that you like and that looks good on you. You probably don't want to learn what style you like by spending $5,000 on a bespoke suit or even $2,000 on something MTM without some more research.

Richard Anderson's house style is on one end of what you'd expect to find on Saville Row (dramatic and military inspired silhouette, similar to Huntsman where Richard Anderson used to work). Anderson and Sheppard and some of their expatriates (e.g. Steed) are on the other end (drape cut). There are also some firms that offer a more middle of the road style. I'd do some research on these places, look at pictures of finished products and try to get a sense of what you like. You can also look at some of the Italian tailors if you are so inclined.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads