• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saphir 'Dark Brown' Medaille D'Or

highball

Reaction score
Does the #05 'Dark Brown' Medaille D'Or cream polish by Saphir appear black when it's in the jar? I just received an order of Saphir polishes in the mail and I am 99% sure I've been sent a jar of black polish mislabeled as 'dark brown'. The polish is so dark that it makes the jar look black/opaque from the outside. I've applied it thinly to a paper towel and it still looks black after drying.

Also, the 'Neutral' Medaille D'Or wax polish I ordered seems to be a solid puck of polish that is cracked and crumbling, not gelatinous like the kiwi I'm used to. Does this seem right? This is my first experience with Saphir and I must say I'm a bit disappointed. Should I go near my shoes with this stuff?

Modernist

Reaction score
Yes, #5 seems almost black. But not to worry. It's a dark brown. I've just used it on a pair of mine today.

As for the condition of the neutral, it may have been stored under hot and dry conditions. Nothing to worry, it just requires some extra elbow grease to be apply. Or just warm the jar a bit.

I understand your worries, but do not be afraid: Saphir is, IMHO, the best. I've used Kiwi and Turrango, and they don't come close. Applying it is a pleasure, with that beeswax scent feeling the room, and it seems to add a particular depth to the colour and patina of the shoe. And more than one women have commented on the scent of the polish, upon smelling the beeswax inside the room where I've polished my shoes (it tends to linger).

highball

Reaction score
Thanks, Modernist. Now I'm worried that it's the wrong color for my brown AE Park Ave's. Should I have gone with "medium brown" instead?

I don't see how this doesn't turn everyone shoes black since it even shows up black on a white towel!

koolhistorian

Reaction score
"Dark brown" is really dark - I would say "ebony" or in italian "testa de moro", so check with your shoes, the most "normal" brown is the "medium brown" and with its variations - cognac (brandy) with consistent yellow shade or mahogany with a consistent red shade. So if you have a really dark pair of shoes it will go with "marron fonce" (ad litteram "dark chestnut").

HermesGuy

Reaction score
I agree with Modernist, Saphir is the best i've found/used also. In addition, for anyone who owns any Hermes "rouge Hermes" (hermes red) leather items, Saphir makes a color that is exact...they even call it Rouge Hermes.

MaxJones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modernist
Applying it is a pleasure, with that beeswax scent feeling the room, and it seems to add a particular depth to the colour and patina of the shoe. And more than one women have commented on the scent of the polish, upon smelling the beeswax inside the room where I've polished my shoes (it tends to linger).

Nice description, Modernist. I just ordered a box of Medaille D'Or, to replace my Kiwi tins. Maybe my girlfriend will stop giving me the mal'occhio when I polish my shoes.
sneaky2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics