• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saphir + Crema Nubiana = Wow!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
mr. booth - totally agree, i am overthinking this..
i'm going to try your method. as a last step - what do you think about doing a cap-toe shine? i know wax does not let leather breathe..so if i do a cap-toe shine woudl i have to use renovateur every few weeks to let shoes breathe?..

also..do you think a neutral wax woudl antique better than using candj brown wax/polish..thanks

sorry i'm new to this..i used to use kiwi on my cheap(ish) shoes

The idea that leather "breathes" is a bit of BS, honestly. There isn't much more that you have to do other than what I just said over the whole shoe. You don't have to strip down the finish to let the leather "breathe". The reno will take a little bit of the finish off, and smooth it out and keep it from getting too dry. After a long time many waxes will build up and look dull. At this point deglazers, or other solvents like AFTA can strip a lot of the old waxes off. Then slowly you can build up thin layers to create a high shine again.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
just read in the forums that saphir renovatuer has mink-oil and is not suitable for calf skin shoes (as they will never take a shine the same again)..
is this true?

seems increasingly difficult to find the right method of shoe maintenance/polishing!

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I get that saphire in Europe online?

I got several Bata shops in my area, can I ask there?

Lear

Reaction score
just read in the forums that saphir renovatuer has mink-oil and is not suitable for calf skin shoes (as they will never take a shine the same again).. is this true? seems increasingly difficult to find the right method of shoe maintenance/polishing!
I can't help myself from posting in shoe shine threads. Never mind that there are too many of them anyway. Forgiveness is begged. These Chelsea boots have been multi-coated in SR. Every time I coat the mirrored toe boxes, a little bit of me dies inside. The good news: teardrops add to future buffing sessions. The great Ron Rider once spoke of SR not only maintaining the leather, but the previous coats of polish as well. I'm going with that. Do you have no social life whatsoever? Are women repulsed at the sight of you? Do you spend countless hours alone at home, waiting for the phone to ring? If (like me) you can answer yes to all these questions, then my son, a mirror shine can be yours... with or without multiple coats of SR. These are yearling leather; coarser grained than veal. There's probably twenty coats of SR on them! Lear (the ugly one)
rmw_whiskey_top.jpg
rmw_whiskey_toes.jpg
rmw_whiskey_side.jpg

lovelux2010

Reaction score
slickman..
what a gorgeous video...thanks for sharing..
guess no ones found where to get that water dispenser.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Lear;3878002 said:
I can't help myself from posting in shoe shine threads. Never mind that there are too many of them anyway. Forgiveness is begged. These Chelsea boots have been multi-coated in SR. Every time I coat the mirrored toe boxes, a little bit of me dies inside. The good news: teardrops add to future buffing sessions. The great Ron Rider once spoke of SR not only maintaining the leather, but the previous coats of polish as well. I'm going with that.

Do you have no social life whatsoever?
Are women repulsed at the sight of you?
Do you spend countless hours alone at home, waiting for the phone to ring?

If (like me) you can answer yes to all these questions, then my son, a mirror shine can be yours... with or without multiple coats of SR. These are yearling leather; coarser grained than veal. There's probably twenty coats of SR on them!

laugh.gif

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
just read in the forums that saphir renovatuer has mink-oil and is not suitable for calf skin shoes (as they will never take a shine the same again)..
is this true?

seems increasingly difficult to find the right method of shoe maintenance/polishing!

Whoever wrote that has a not a clue. Calf shines just fine after using Reno on it.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Where can I get that saphire in Europe online?

I got several Bata shops in my area, can I ask there?

Valmour - good service

GBer

Reaction score
slickman..
what a gorgeous video...thanks for sharing..
guess no ones found where to get that water dispenser.

See also:

Originally Posted by GBer
You can find that pump by searching for glass solvent dispenser on Amazon or Google Shopping. Cheers!

bigstar[1].gif

Been using it for a while now. You can mix water with other things in it. Handy item.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Whoever wrote that has a not a clue. Calf shines just fine after using Reno on it.

hello..
a lot of contradictory info on Reno..some members say they would not use it on calf skin and would only use Crema Nubiana, others seem to recommend Reno on calf..

Lear

Reaction score
hello.. a lot of contradictory info on Reno..some members say they would not use it on calf skin and would only use Crema Nubiana, others seem to recommend Reno on calf..
There really should be one jumbo shoe maintenance thread, with all advice contained within. Much of this stuff is repeated elsewhere. The pics I posted above, were to show how after more than twenty coats of Reno, the shine and flexible nature of the leather remains. I've had no problem whatsoever. I'm not suggesting that Reno is the best product out there. However, conditioning your leather footwear is a must anyway. You simply have to do it. I put a thin coat of Reno over the entire shoe, using my fingers (avoids waste) to warm the product and rubbing it into the creases. The shoe is then left overnight. I find that rubbing it straight away causes the rag to catch and drag, with bits of fluff ending up on the surface. I'll often give it a light brushing before using the rag. The coloured MDO shoe creams I leave for no more than 15mins. Any longer and they can set solid, resisting efforts to blend them in. The hard MDO wax I'll leave for as long as necessary. Applying very thick layers of conditioner, or using a stiff conditioner such as RM Williams Saddle & Leather Dressing, might work against maintaining a high shine. Reno liquifies nicely with a bit of warmth. The RMW stuff I save for my leather briefcase, as it never seems to melt down and completely disappear. See my pics from yesterday in the briefcase Appreciation thread; faint swirls of RMW product are still visible, even though applied months ago. Lear

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
There really should be one jumbo shoe maintenance thread, with all advice contained within. Much of this stuff is repeated elsewhere.

The pics I posted above, were to show how after more than twenty coats of Reno, the shine and flexible nature of the leather remains. I've had no problem whatsoever. I'm not suggesting that Reno is the best product out there. However, conditioning your leather footwear is a must anyway. You simply have to do it.

I put a thin coat of Reno over the entire shoe, using my fingers (avoids waste) to warm the product and rubbing it into the creases. The shoe is then left overnight. I find that rubbing it straight away causes the rag to catch and drag, with bits of fluff ending up on the surface. I'll often give it a light brushing before using the rag. The coloured MDO shoe creams I leave for no more than 15mins. Any longer and they can set solid, resisting efforts to blend them in. The hard MDO wax I'll leave for as long as necessary.

Applying very thick layers of conditioner, or using a stiff conditioner such as RM Williams Saddle & Leather Dressing, might work against maintaining a high shine. Reno liquifies nicely with a bit of warmth. The RMW stuff I save for my leather briefcase, as it never seems to melt down and completely disappear. See my pics from yesterday in the briefcase Appreciation thread; faint swirls of RMW product are still visible, even though applied months ago.

Lear

hey lear..
i'm tired of reading how goo Reno is versus how good Crema Nubiana/Alpina is, i dont have asupplier for the latter so i'm going to hope reno works well and does'nt damage the shoe..thanks for your advice

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads