• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saphir + Crema Nubiana = Wow!

GucciKid

Reaction score
Where to get this stuff online?

fence28

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GucciKid
Where to get this stuff online?
In the US, you can give franco's fine clothier a try esp. for CN and saphir. You can also call up Leffot's for saphir. I think both are out of the Saphir Renovateur though

laughwithm3

Reaction score
so i should pick saphir creams over the saphir wax polishes on Francos?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laughwithm3
should i use CN to clean shells?

I have a feeling this is a bad idea....

youngScholar

Reaction score
I think I'll pick up some Crema Alpina when my Lexol runs out.

Both those shoes (maker?) and the shine are fantastic.
worship.gif

GucciKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fence28
In the US, you can give franco's fine clothier a try esp. for CN and saphir. You can also call up Leffot's for saphir. I think both are out of the Saphir Renovateur though

Will he ship to Canada?

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone seen or tried a clear polish from saphir? if so, how is it?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
I just wanted to post a quick review of Crema Nubiana and Saphir that I purchased from Francos since I'm so impressed with it
smile.gif
I had read a few reviews that said it was "good" but I never imagined it would have made this much of a difference. I had previously been using Lexol with meltonian cream and kiwi wax and really wasn't getting a very good shine... even after applying several coats. Now, just using nubiana and the saphir cream, they have a mirror finish and take about 15 mins to polish two shoes (instead of 30mins+ before). Highly recommended combo if you haven't tried yet.

Damn, I almost forgot how great this stuff was before polishing my shoes again last night. I don't understand how this stuff doesn't get more "press" around here... I find it hard to believe that anyone would recommend Kiwi or similar after using this. Also, I've since ordered some renoveteur and suede conditioner or my shell/suede shoes and will post results after using
smile.gif

What product have I used? I use the following:

1. Coating of Nubiana, let dry for 10 mins and wipe with wool cloth
2. Coating of Saphir cream (color depending on shoe) and let dry/buff/polish

anyone seen or tried a clear polish from saphir? if so, how is it?

Thanks for the info rioni. My current shoe care regiment is exactly the same as your old one invoving Lexol, Meltonian Cream and Kiwi wax! I must say that I've been getting good/great results so far, but am thinking I should try the Nubiana + Saphir combo.

Don't know about Saphir's clear polish, but my cobbler uses Saphir products exclusively and as far as the neutral shoe cream is concerned, he says it's useless for all but the very lightest colored shoes, i.e. that you can use Saphir's lightest brown shade safely on most tan shoes.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
can anyone tell me where to find Crema Nubiana or Allen Edmonds Conditoner OR renovateur by Avel (can only find Renovateur by Sapphire..is this the same product)..

anyways i'm in London and struggling to find any of the above conditioners..
i go to canada/us regularly so if no options for above i think i coudl order from Francos in the US..but surely there is a UK store!
i phone crema nubiana in italy..the lady did not speak english but in my limited italian i uderstoodd polinni (the brand) stocks crema nubiana in london - but - there is no pollini store in teh uk..

anyways help needed thanks!

(from another SF member..)

Conditioner/Cleaners

The most under-used products in the shoe care market might very well be the neutral, more natural "˜cleaner & conditioner' products. In my opinion, the continual use of these products on a weekly (or more often) basis is far more important to the overall "˜health' of a fine leather upper than even the regular use of colored waxes and creams. Easy to apply, these products all go a long way in keeping leather supple, protected and, in the case of the brown tones, help to bring out that all important "˜patina' that can only develop naturally thru time and attention. Containing little or no harmful chemicals, any of the following are worth investing in: Allen Edmonds Conditioner/Cleaner, Crema Alpina (Italy), Renovateur by Avel (Spain/France) and Lexol (USA).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All of you guys do know that Saphir cream contains tons of beeswax just like CN and Reno? Saphir creams and waxes are pretty much the exact same thing except the wax as a different base and the creams contain a ton of shea butter. Personally, I have never experienced as good of a shine with cream polish except with Saphir cream. Probably because of all of the natural ingredients.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
hello..
well i wanted to buy Crema Nubiana..cannot find stocklists or online sellers that ship to the UK..
so i thought Saphir Renovateur was by best alternative to a cleaner/conditioner..

anyone know the best way to care for my c&j calf skins (black pair and a brown pair)..
1)\twipe off dirt/dust with slightly damp soft cloth
2)\twipe dry/let dry completely
3)\tapply conditioner/cleaner like Saphire Renovateur
4) wipe off excess and let dry
4)\t
For Black Step 4: black shoes can use black wax/polish i bought from c&j or one from sapphire
For Brown Step 4: brown shoes I want antiquing so need neutral which is on the way i was thinking to buy (also bought brown c&j but i thi'nk i'll get better results from neutral like Pate de Luxe wax shoe polish in Neutral..
http://www.shoetree-shop.co.uk/gs/in...deluxe100.html

i was going to use the process similar to this from another member - but need help deciding which products to use...any suggestions welcome thanks

The Process

Your shoes should be polished and/or conditioned at least a couple times a month...each week, ideally. Even if you don't do this yourself, drop a pair off at your local shoe repair shop or stop by a shine stand as often as possible. You can even purchase a set-up and give it to your favorite cobbler/bootblack and ask that they use these products to care for your shoes. If you choose to polish/clean/condition your shoes yourself, start by applying a liberal amount of one of the conditioner/cleaners mentioned above. Allow a few minutes and promptly rub briskly with a cotton or felt rag. The shoe bags that often come in the box with "˜better' shoes are ideal for this...simply cut into large strips for your polishing use. Next, apply the appropriate shoe cream to areas that are showing the most wear. It is not necessary for the colors to match exactly (except for black, obviously), but to either blend in, or to highlight at your choosing. For example, a "˜cognac' colored shoe might see "˜tan', "˜mahogany', "˜light brown' or "˜mid-brown' polishes; or maybe all four. Experiment. After the cream hazes over, apply another coat of cleaner/conditioner and let sit for a few minutes. Take a high quality horsehair brush (the best are from Frank-Brushes, in Germany) and brush along the sides and across the vamp (top to the tip). Next, apply your choice of wax/paste polish and, again, allow to haze over. After 5 minutes or so, brush off as before. Finally, re-apply one more coat off cleaner/conditioner, allow to dry for a minute or two, and brush again. You can stop now, or continue to a "˜spit-shine' step, which really just involves taking and old necktie (or nylon hose), misting a little water onto your shoe, and rapidly buffing with the silk rag. The heat from the quick motion combined with a little water will "˜build' another protective layer onto your shoe. A final step, though one I do not really recommend for most, is to use a "˜edge dye' (we simply use leather dye from Fiebings) to dye the sole/welt edge and trim. This is tricky, and it is easy to ruin an upper if you do not do this carefully with the included dauber, so I would leave this to the cobbler, but the leather dye is readily available from Fiebings.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
hello..
well i wanted to buy Crema Nubiana..cannot find stocklists or online sellers that ship to the UK..
so i thought Saphir Renovateur was by best alternative to a cleaner/conditioner..

anyone know the best way to care for my c&j calf skins (black pair and a brown pair)..
1)\twipe off dirt/dust with slightly damp soft cloth
2)\twipe dry/let dry completely
3)\tapply conditioner/cleaner like Saphire Renovateur
4) wipe off excess and let dry
4)\t
For Black Step 4: black shoes can use black wax/polish i bought from c&j or one from sapphire
For Brown Step 4: brown shoes I want antiquing so need neutral which is on the way i was thinking to buy (also bought brown c&j but i thi'nk i'll get better results from neutral like Pate de Luxe wax shoe polish in Neutral..
http://www.shoetree-shop.co.uk/gs/in...deluxe100.html

i was going to use the process similar to this from another member - but need help deciding which products to use...any suggestions welcome thanks

The Process

Your shoes should be polished and/or conditioned at least a couple times a month...each week, ideally. Even if you don't do this yourself, drop a pair off at your local shoe repair shop or stop by a shine stand as often as possible. You can even purchase a set-up and give it to your favorite cobbler/bootblack and ask that they use these products to care for your shoes. If you choose to polish/clean/condition your shoes yourself, start by applying a liberal amount of one of the conditioner/cleaners mentioned above. Allow a few minutes and promptly rub briskly with a cotton or felt rag. The shoe bags that often come in the box with "˜better' shoes are ideal for this...simply cut into large strips for your polishing use. Next, apply the appropriate shoe cream to areas that are showing the most wear. It is not necessary for the colors to match exactly (except for black, obviously), but to either blend in, or to highlight at your choosing. For example, a "˜cognac' colored shoe might see "˜tan', "˜mahogany', "˜light brown' or "˜mid-brown' polishes; or maybe all four. Experiment. After the cream hazes over, apply another coat of cleaner/conditioner and let sit for a few minutes. Take a high quality horsehair brush (the best are from Frank-Brushes, in Germany) and brush along the sides and across the vamp (top to the tip). Next, apply your choice of wax/paste polish and, again, allow to haze over. After 5 minutes or so, brush off as before. Finally, re-apply one more coat off cleaner/conditioner, allow to dry for a minute or two, and brush again. You can stop now, or continue to a "˜spit-shine' step, which really just involves taking and old necktie (or nylon hose), misting a little water onto your shoe, and rapidly buffing with the silk rag. The heat from the quick motion combined with a little water will "˜build' another protective layer onto your shoe. A final step, though one I do not really recommend for most, is to use a "˜edge dye' (we simply use leather dye from Fiebings) to dye the sole/welt edge and trim. This is tricky, and it is easy to ruin an upper if you do not do this carefully with the included dauber, so I would leave this to the cobbler, but the leather dye is readily available from Fiebings.

You are over thinking this. Apply a small amount of renovateur, let dry, rub briskly with a cloth to remove excess, apply saphir wax, or cream, let dry, buff with brush, done.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
You are over thinking this. Apply a small amount of renovateur, let dry, rub briskly with a cloth to remove excess, apply saphir wax, or cream, let dry, buff with brush, done.

mr. booth - totally agree, i am overthinking this..
i'm going to try your method. as a last step - what do you think about doing a cap-toe shine? i know wax does not let leather breathe..so if i do a cap-toe shine woudl i have to use renovateur every few weeks to let shoes breathe?..

also..do you think a neutral wax woudl antique better than using candj brown wax/polish..thanks

sorry i'm new to this..i used to use kiwi on my cheap(ish) shoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads