• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Diego Shopping Thread

kriot666

Reaction score
Personally, I've never found anything spectacular in Hillcrest. There was a shop on 5th last year that had some decent clothing but that shop is now a wine bar so, oh well. I have found some relatively nice shirts at Junc and Crow Thief in South Park so if you're in the neighborhood its worth a look. Other than that its the usual spots at the local malls, Co-op, nordstrom, bloomingdales,...etc. I can't say SD has totally let me down but I do a bit of traveling so I'm able to buy clothes while I'm on the road. If anyone has any boutique recommendations please do let us all know.

Has anyone here gone to Ascot shop in La Jolla? I'm looking for a nice pair of daily shoes and they had a decent selection, the people working seemed nice...etc. But I'm curious, if you were going to buy a pair of AE shoes, is any reason to buy them there as opposed to nordstroms?

Also around the corner is Le Chauvinist, which is always fun to browse.

getshawn

Reaction score
Barney's Co-op in Fashion Valley shutting down. Wouldn't be surprised if Pac-sun takes the space.

kriot666

Reaction score
Co-op shutting down? Uhhhg, what a shame. I think its one of the few places that has a decent selection of clothing for men around.

Question for SD locals:

What percentage of your total clothes shopping is now done online?

getshawn

Reaction score
Ever since discovering SF it's probably like 90%. American Rag in Newport is probably the closest we are to a decent store.

mogadishu7

Reaction score
Was walking in downtown La Jolla on Sunday and saw a Y-3 storefront "coming soon" on Girard. That should be fun.

Echoing everyone else's sentiments, sucks that Barney's closed.

I have to say being in a city that doesn't emphasize fashion can be good sometimes. My trips to Nordstrom Rack and the thrift stores always seem to be more fruitful in SD than LA or OC.

kriot666

Reaction score
That's pretty exciting news actually, I wonder when its going to open.

I agree with you about thrifting here and nordstroms rack, I grew up in LA and still go back often. I rarely found/find anything decent at the thrift stores there. Most get picked through regularly.

Just a side note. I've had amazing luck at all the thrift's in Palm Springs. So if you're out that way it might be worth a look.

--I almost forgot to ask, Does anyone else here like the Ted Baker shop in Fashion Valley. I actually dig it. I've found some really great pieces. With the demise of Co-op I think this TB may the only shop I really like there.

Last edited:

kriot666

Reaction score
Recent Shopping

I happened to be at Fashion Valley the day that Cotton On opened. Its pretty much an H&M with a pretty neat stationary shop next to it. There was nothing there for me or rather my age group except for some really decent chinos that were skinny/tapered fit. Which this cut normally fits me like a regular cut. So for like $35 it was not bad.

In La Jolla, the Ascot Shop was wrapping up their sale. Lots of "OK" suits for sale, Corneliani and some other brand called Pirve, I think its a label from China, no clue on quality tho.

The Y-3 store was open. Some really nice stuff. Way out of my price range but if you can afford it, go for it.

I passed by a shop called James Grant, their blog said their hours are 11-7:30 on Sat but no luck, it was closed like at 4PM. Looking in the window i saw lots of plaids and denim but not sure what else they have.

kriot666

Reaction score
I just came across this: http://sandiegoalist.cityvoter.com/best/men-s-clothing/fashion/san-diego

Is it lame?... pretty much. But mixed in this "list" are a handful of stores I never thought of looking at, HIS, Attic, Capricorn,... etc.

Anybody think there's anything on the list worth a visit? Even just for a look?

I always take a look at Ascot Shop and Le Chauvenist, usually just for kicks, as well as Junc and Crow Thief (close to where I live). They're always worth a "look" if you're passing by.

kankle j

Reaction score
I've just discovered Joseph's Custom Menswear and Tailoring in Downtown (555 West B Street). Awesome suits and other ready to wear and probably the best tailor in the City. Tell him Joe sent you and see if you'll get a discount!!!!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've just discovered Joseph's Custom Menswear and Tailoring in Downtown (555 West B Street). Awesome suits and other ready to wear and probably the best tailor in the City. Tell him Joe sent you and see if you'll get a discount!!!!

I visited when I lived in SD in 2006 and wasn't impressed. The best tailor in town is Romeo Singca at Felice Custom Tailoring in La Jolla. I haven't visited in several years, but I assume he's still in business.

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Reviving a very old thread!
Wow cant believe so little love for San Diego on StyleForum ;)

Gentlemen's Footwear will be opening our showroom in downtown San Diego in few weeks from now ;)
However, if you would like to visit us in the meantime to try on Carmina Shoemaker, Herring Shoes, or chk out Drake's London, EG Cappelli Napoli accessories, feel free to email us
[email protected] to schedule a showroom visit appointment before we open to public!

Our new address is

Gentlemens Footwear
722 11th Ave
San Diego CA 92101

Cheers!
Steve

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads