• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sam's Tailor in Shanghai?

DoctorC

Reaction score
Hello,
I will be travelling to Shanghai in Mid-August for about 1-2 weeks on business and was planning to get one or two new suits and a couple of shirts. I've read a lot about w.w.chans and also about that right next to him is Sams. However (maybe I am too stupid), I've only found very few comments about his work and quality. So I was wondering if someone could shed a llittle light on that.
thx a lot!

Colnago

Reaction score
If the Sam's in Shanghai is linked to Sam's in HK, then it is a lower level of quality and the items do not last like the WW Chan items. I would suggest you go to WW Chans if you can afford them -- they produce great products. I just placed another order with Chan when they were in London a few weeks ago and I have been very happy with everything they have made for me.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I rarely hear positive comment on them. Chan locates right next to the Sam's so you can judge by yourself when you arrive.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some information about Sam's and Chan in Shanghai over at AAAC.
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?86112-Sam-s-and-WW-Chan-share-tailors

"Just got this from W.W.Chan:

Following are some facts about W.W. Chan & Sons Tailor Ltd. and Sam’s Tailor, Shanghai which may be of interest to you:

1. For most items, the prices of W.W. Chan & Sons in Shanghai are still little (about 5%) cheaper than our Hong Kong shop because of the fact that the exchange rate between RMB and Hong Kong dollar has increased, prices are getting closer.

2. W.W. Chan & Sons operate and manage Sam’s Tailor, Shanghai. Our shops in Shanghai are next to each other therefore we are able to share some of our resources available. However, for your information, each shop has its own team of in-house tailors to take measurements and perform fittings. But in some cases when one shop is too busy and the tailors are unavailable, if the client prefers not to wait, we can arrange tailor from next door to perform the work.

3. In Shanghai, both W.W. Chan & Sons and Sam’s Tailor have the work done in our own workshop. Our tailoring team has been trained since 1986 in Hong Kong and Shenzhen. We found that our work is so unique that we are not able to recruit new tailors from the market. All our tailors have been trained intensively by our master tailors for at least four to six years before they can start working independently.

4. The suits that W.W. Chan & Sons, Shanghai offer to clients are different to those offer by Sam’s Shanghai. W.W. Chan suits are made with floating canvas and hand canvas. The suits that Sam’s Shanghai offer are with fused canvas. People know that once the fuse canvas is glued with the front part of the jacket, it can then be mass produced by production line in the factory or by workers with less tailoring skills Obviously, this is not what Sam’s Shanghai does. Our fused suits are done by experienced tailors of our own workshop. Although they are different team of tailors that work on floating canvas, Sam’s suits are cut and trimmed by the same tailors that do W.W. Chan’s suits and so do all other details like roll lapel, sleeves with real button holes, etc..

We hope that answers your questions,

Best Regards,

W. W. CHAN & SONS TAILOR LTD."

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Added as new post as there is NO EDIT with SF2.0

BTW I do have a blazer from Sam's HK. Made last year, still looks and feels ok, and it hasn't fallen apart yet.

DoctorC

Reaction score
Thank you Mike for the Info. I will obviously look at Chan as well as Sam an then decide. Either way I go, I will post the results and my experiences here.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello,
I will be travelling to Shanghai in Mid-August for about 1-2 weeks on business and was planning to get one or two new suits and a couple of shirts. I've read a lot about w.w.chans and also about that right next to him is Sams. However (maybe I am too stupid), I've only found very few comments about his work and quality. So I was wondering if someone could shed a llittle light on that.
thx a lot!
I am surprised that you have not found more. The Sams in HK is merely a tourist trap which supplies low standard goods to the unwary. He is good at marketing and getting his name known as the photographs in his windows of so -called worthies receiving his products shows. Don't be fooled and simply avoid. That Chan has some interest in the Shanghai operation which the letter above suggests (and assuming that it is genuine, which is not proven) is very surprising and should not confuse.

Last edited:

DoctorC

Reaction score
Well, as I said, I will be travelling to Shanghai not Hong Kong. So the Sam in Hong Kong is not the one I care about. As I read and search around...the Sam in HK and the one in Shanghai have nothing to do with eachother.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am surprised that you have not found more. The Sams in HK is merely a tourist trap which supplies low standard goods to the unwary. He is good at marketing and getting his name known as the photographs in his windows of so -called worthies receiving his products shows. Don't be fooled and simply avoid.

That Chan has some interest in the Shanghai operation which the letter above suggests (and assuming that it is genuine, which is not proven) is very surprising and should not confuse.

I would have said it was proven, after all that W.W. Chan email was obtained and posted on AAAC by Andy Gilchrist the owner of that forum.

Another thing, how do we know Sam's and W.W Chan in HK are not doing the same sharing of resources as they evidently do in Shanghai?
"3. In Shanghai, both W.W. Chan & Sons and Sam’s Tailor have the work done in our own workshop". Has anyone actually seen Sam's or Chan's workshop(s) in HK or Shenzhen? In HK both Chan and Sam's are in the same place, that is Burlington Arcade, TST. Small Chinese business' with similar interests will often share the same resources and facilities. "Sam’s suits are cut and trimmed by the same tailors that do W.W. Chan’s suits and so do all other details like roll lapel, sleeves with real button holes, etc.."

AFAICT the main difference, Sam's suits, sport jackets and blazers are glued/fused, and Chan's are not. With an appropriate difference in prices.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if both W.W. Chan and Manu Melwani(Sam's) play golf together.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yeah, as I recall, W.W. Chan graduated from tailoring school in 1942, which would mean that he's probably pushing 90 if he's not there already.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremygrooks