• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

sehkelly

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If they are the same snug fit as last time an XL would be for the best I think.
No -- we've adjusted that, so while a fairly trim style, they can only really be described as true to size. Size XL, still, though?

10dence

Reaction score
Oh, then I will go with the L. It has worked out great for me so far.

twdawson

Reaction score
@sehkelly the Bedford cord looks great, still planning to use it for the Trucker jacket? Same colors or something different?

also you mentioned a while back tentative plans to re-stock the Pyjama top given its popularity; is that still the case or are things on hold due to the current situation?

sehkelly

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@sehkelly the Bedford cord looks great, still planning to use it for the Trucker jacket? Same colors or something different?

also you mentioned a while back tentative plans to re-stock the Pyjama top given its popularity; is that still the case or are things on hold due to the current situation?
The same is true in both instances, actually — we're treading a little carefully now until the pandemic picture becomes clearer.

The trucker is sure to appear, and all but sure to appear in Bedford cord, but I am not sure when. Late summer / early autumn seems more likely now, unfortunately.

And the pyjama top in linen is less likely to reappear, in truth, sorry to say: I think we will struggle to squeeze that one through production now (we would've anyway, to be honest).

sehkelly

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
... oh, and probably different colours. At least one will be as dark or darker than the navy, and the other is likely to be darker than the butterscotch. Not sure yet, though.

sehkelly

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Both colours of new trouser in Bedford cord are now online at http://sehkelly.com/trousers.

I have been advised that the cloth is known quite commonly in Sweden as Manchester, or Manchester cord. Sometimes it is known as uncut cord, too. And back in the day, I have been reliably informed, it was called broadcloth corduroy (however, "the day" in this instance might be about two-hundred years ago).

We have also boosted our stock levels in some key deparments in the past 24 hours, having performed a long-overdue stocktake (this pertains in particular to sizes S and M).

I hope everyone has their chin raised as high as possible.

Paul

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ in Sweden, "Manchester fabric" is the common name for corduroy in general.

sehkelly

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Given there's a (entirely unreasonable in my view) demand for photographs of our garments being worn by real people (I know, right: how ridiculous!) I managed to take a few last week, outside the workshop, just before the lockdown.

Here's the shopcoat in all its five-pocketed, half-workwear half-tailoring glory.

shopcoat-cotton-linen-hopsack-petrol-grey-worn-2s@2x.jpg
shopcoat-cotton-linen-hopsack-petrol-grey-worn-4s@2x.jpg

shopcoat-cotton-linen-hopsack-petrol-grey-worn-3s@2x.jpg

Certainly one style that looks better on flesh than on wood.

Also a good example how, in my opinion, single-breasted coats always look better undone than done-up.

zenosparadox

Reaction score
While not providing nearly as good of a frame as the usual model above, I received a couple recent releases today and thought I'd post some pictures for those who might be interested. These are the most recent polo in porridge and the Bedford cord trouser in butterscotch. Great work as always!
IMG_3411.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The pants do not look well.

zenosparadox

Reaction score
The pants do not look well.
Yeah, I definitely agree if you're talking about the concavity/bunching of the fabric near the hem and at the knees. This isn't a defect of the garment, however, but rather of the haphazardness of my styling with the unseen footwear, a pair of roper-ish boots, which have a wide opening and so are pushing up against the hem of the leg. The fabric is thick and rigid, so this deforms the shape of the pant. This mostly softens with a regular shoe and should break in further with wear and washing.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@zenosparadox

How do you feel about the seat and pants fitting above the knee? If you shortened the inseam of the pants do you think it would help with the overall shape and how the pants drape? Will a shorter inseam remove some of the bagging around the knees?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.