• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ryan Gosling's shirts

Contact lens

Reaction score
Many questions and things learnt here.

1 - I took some sh1t from certain people here but I understand it's part of the initiation. That's fine with me and in fact, I enjoyed it because there's nothing worse than creating a thread everyone ignores. So being flamed is at least something and I have a sense of humour too.

2 - Some very interesting answers and a very good point about assistants re-arranging actors' clothes before a scene. I hadn't thought of that.

3 - I live in London, UK and almost all the shops I've been to have wide spread, cutaway collars which I don't like because a) I don't wear a tie and b) they don't suit my face.

4 - When I found the collars I wanted (narrow point, slightly larger collars) they were on hideously stripy/check shirts which are inexplicably all the rage in this city these days.

5 - Hence my desperation at finding 'the perfect collar' and posting here. Now I now what to do.

6 - I'm not gay but I admit having a man-crash on RG. I'm sure there are many like me.

The Upright Man

Reaction score
If you want your collars to look like that - work your trapezius muscles hardcore...

Ryan G is flexing his gigantic traps, hence the high standing collar.

millionaire75

Reaction score

Many questions and things learnt here.

1 - I took some sh1t from certain people here but I understand it's part of the initiation. That's fine with me and in fact, I enjoyed it because there's nothing worse than creating a thread everyone ignores. So being flamed is at least something and I have a sense of humour too.

2 - Some very interesting answers and a very good point about assistants re-arranging actors' clothes before a scene. I hadn't thought of that.

3 - I live in London, UK and almost all the shops I've been to have wide spread, cutaway collars which I don't like because a) I don't wear a tie and b) they don't suit my face.

4 - When I found the collars I wanted (narrow point, slightly larger collars) they were on hideously stripy/check shirts which are inexplicably all the rage in this city these days.

5 - Hence my desperation at finding 'the perfect collar' and posting here. Now I now what to do.

6 - I'm not gay but I admit having a man-crash on RG. I'm sure there are many like me.

I applaud you for keeping a good attitude in the face of all this undeserved criticism. As other posters said, look for larger collars, Italian brands, etc. Also, the top two buttons should have sufficient distance from each other to stand up correctly. Coincidentally, I'm wearing a shirt just like that today that I bought in Italy a couple years ago. Really wish I would have bought a few more. Good luck.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For movies often enough they tack the collar down to the shirt itself, either using a bit of glue, thus ruining the shirt, or adding snaps underneath. This is not something the shirtmaker does, but something the stupid costume designer does. It makes shirt have a button down quality of standing upright, while still not looking that way, and still being able to control the actual angle of the collar. Without a suit it looks pretty bad. You can probably have a tailor add snaps to the inside of the collar for not too much money. Im not sure how though.

I've had a few RTW 'concealed button downs' over the years. I really like them as a concept. My favorites have a small fabric tab on the backside of the collar with a button hole in it and a standard button on the shirt itself. I wish these were more widely available RTW.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't read most of the thread, but I get shirts that look that way with button down collars. If you are wearing them without a tie, you wont be able to see the buttons. I don't mind personally if they show, but some people don't like the way the buttons on the collar looks. Another alternative is a hidden button down collar which gives a good standing collar with a cleaner aesthetic.

div25sec9

Reaction score

I've had a few RTW 'concealed button downs' over the years. I really like them as a concept. My favorites have a small fabric tab on the backside of the collar with a button hole in it and a standard button on the shirt itself. I wish these were more widely available RTW.

I have a couple of these shirts and like them a lot...my only problem is that trying to do up that button after I get the tie on is kind of tricky....

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
OK I'll actually be helpful. How to make your collars stand up

http://unrefinery.com/article/the-ideal-open-collar

I can recreate the RG (or TF if you prefer) any time I want by

1) wearing better quality shirts with better constructed collars. Boss shirts BTW are not that great for this effect, nor are Boss shirts all that great period.

2) I've also noticed classic collars work best (as opposed to wide or semi wide spread)

3) Using starch not on the collar points, but on the placket area, especially past the 1st and 2nd button. Some stiffness here will help the collar stand up.

4) Wearing a jacket or blazer practically guarantees that my collar stays up.

BTW, welcome to SF. Don't mind the haters here. Te SF MC crowd tends to be pretty uniform in our likes and dislike. I for one, love this look on casual Fridays at the office.

Last edited:

Contact lens

Reaction score
OK I'll actually be helpful. How to make your collars stand up
http://unrefinery.com/article/the-ideal-open-collar
I can recreate the RG (or TF if you prefer) any time I want by
1) wearing better quality shirts with better constructed collars. Boss shirts BTW are not that great for this effect, nor are Boss shirts all that great period.
2) I've also noticed classic collars work best (as opposed to wide or semi wide spread)
3) Using starch not on the collar points, but on the placket area, especially past the 1st and 2nd button. Some stiffness here will help the collar stand up.
BTW, welcome to SF. Don't mind the haters here. Te SF MC crowd tends to be pretty uniform in our likes and dislike. I for one, love this look on casual Fridays at the office.

Dude, you rock.

1) I'm wearing my Boss shirt today for the first time and I see what you mean.
2) I hate wide spread (on me)
3) I've ordered starch
4) I wear a jacket too.

and 5) I have wurkin stiffs coming to me in the next few days.

It's Friday and I too like that look at the office. That article you linked to is very funny. And the haters are fine with me, they're just breaking my balls a little bit :) nothing wrong with that.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 on this. Wearing a jacket or blazer keeps the collar points "contained" by the inside edges of the lapels of the jacket, and thus prevents them from slumping down and sprawling across the front of your shirt. Even floppy collars will stand up pretty well when unbuttoned if you are wearing a jacket (as Gosling does for much of the movie).

sborg

Reaction score
I think it's more about the man than the suit. He makes it work obviously.

Beastmode101

Reaction score
great movie, thought some of the stuff ryan gosling wore looked metro....... some looked good

Last edited:

Beastmode101

Reaction score
For movies often enough they tack the collar down to the shirt itself, either using a bit of glue, thus ruining the shirt, or adding snaps underneath. This is not something the shirtmaker does, but something the stupid costume designer does. It makes shirt have a button down quality of standing upright, while still not looking that way, and still being able to control the actual angle of the collar. Without a suit it looks pretty bad. You can probably have a tailor add snaps to the inside of the collar for not too much money. Im not sure how though.

I may get destroyed for this..... but what do snaps look like when done this way?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/106052/snap-collar-shirt

I've done a search and this is what I've found. I'm getting confused between this and a hidden button down.

^ thanks man, gonna try to pick up that shirt.

Hope you don't mind, but would wearing a shirt with snaps/press studs without a jacket/blazer look dumb? I'm a college kid so wearing a jacket all the time would look weird

so far from what I've researched I think wurkin stiffs/power stays are the best way to achieve the nice stiff collar look (When worn open/unbuttoned)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads