• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running or Bodybuilding?

Lizen

Reaction score
I'm at a point right now where I could either continue lifting heavily and gain a lot of muscle mass, or, I can start running and gradual work to have running be my main goal to push. What have people here done and maybe a someone could make a pro and con list of the two? Thank you.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... that's like asking whether you should take piano lessons or join a book club. IDK, what are your goals? If you want to be big, lift. If you want to be thin and fast, run.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have never seen a non-sprinter with an enviable body

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Agree with this dude.

There is no right answer. What are YOUR goals? What is your body composition like currently? Are you wanting to do a marathon or a bodybuilding competition? Is this for sport performance or simply aesthetics? No right or wrong answer but you need to provide more info.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lizen
I'm at a point right now where I could either continue lifting heavily and gain a lot of muscle mass, or, I can start running and gradual work to have running be my main goal to push. What have people here done and maybe a someone could make a pro and con list of the two? Thank you.

Weightlifting will give you muscle which will turn to fat as you age. Running will strain your joints, which will deteriorate as you age. Lesson - watch tv.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to go so drastically one way or the other? I don't like this question. You can push towards goals that take from either/both discipline.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i have never seen a non-sprinter with an enviable body

just springy you'll get best of both

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a friend of mine who regularly runs 5ks, 10ks.... not a marathoner but puts in a fair few miles each week.

He's a natty, no hulk by any stretch but quite accomplished on stage. You can do both but have to have the right metabolic type, really be tuned in on diet and workout. He a Scivation-sponsored BB'er.

On the far left:
randyboston5k2010.jpg

On the left in red:
randycompocb2009.jpg

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
definitely the exception.

Lizen

Reaction score
As far as my goals, I want to be strong enough to hold my own when it comes to bodyweight exercises. I want to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible, and it seems lean is the way to be. Time to start pounding out some miles.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would do a little of both and any decent fitness plan would include both. Most of my running is based on sprints or intervals as I have a tendency to get too thin if I run a lot of distance. I agree with thekunk07 about most serious distance runners not having enviable bodies, but I would also argue against lifting just to gain a lot of muscle mass. Unless you're a skinny 16 year old looking to bulk up to make the football team, why put on a bunch of mass? It sounds cool to show off your guns when you're 23, but as you age, you'll be more concerned about just being fit and being able to use your body like you used to when you were younger. Try and aim for a happy medium that keeps you fit with minimal effort and keeps you injury free.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take up rowing. It's [some of] the most intense cardio you can do, it builds strength, mass, and definition all throughout the body (especially so in the thighs, back, and forearms). To boot, rowing teaches you serious mental endurance. For reference, here's a photo of the world champion Danish Lightweight 4-. These guys all weigh 160 lbs. or less. Considering their weight, these guys look ridiculously jacked.
photo-37.jpg

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do rowers cut before events?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads