• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running or Bodybuilding?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Do rowers cut before events?

laugh.gif

Only if they're borderline lightweights.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That victory shot is weird. It's the same guy ps'd on there 4 times.

Frodo

Reaction score
Swim. It's the best of both worlds. Cheap to do, you can do it on your own (no need for a team or a boat or weights or a spotter), you can do it rain or shine, winter or summer. And nobody is fit like a fit swimmer is fit. Crazy fit. Good body for clothes, too - broad shoulders, narrow waists.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
laugh.gif
Only if they're borderline lightweights.

Truth. At Midwest Championships last weekend, this freshman lightweight on my team smoked a gram and a half before he left for the 6 hour bus ride to Cincinnati, got munchies, and ate his way through three Hershey bars, a couple bags of beef jerky, a few cookies, and some more junk. We got to our hotel, and he weighed in at 156. He spent the night jogging in ~7 layers of trash bags and winter coats, then puking in his room.
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
That victory shot is weird. It's the same guy ps'd on there 4 times.
SPOTTEN SIE NICHT DIE ARISCHE RASSE!!!!!

POPEYEpatches

Reaction score
I'm kinda at that point but for me, I don't want to turn into a meat ball and although I hate running, I try and maintain a level of endurance so my solution is working out with weights about 5 days a week and through out the week either bike, play basketball, soccer, or hike..

darkdream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Weightlifting will give you muscle which will turn to fat as you age. Running will strain your joints, which will deteriorate as you age. Lesson - watch tv.
Muscle cells can not turn into fat cells. That is like saying you can turn iron into gold. If you become inactive muscles deteriorate and fat cells expand around the muscle. Also new research shows that running and such activities that are hard on the joints can possibly be beneficial later in life, rejecting the old research claims of the opposite.

Reaction score
For sure Body building will make your body strong and fit and would make you look good. But it will leave you with tons of fat on your body once you stop it. So running is a good option.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ STFU Noob.

muscle doesnt turn into fat. Period.

If your bodybuilding and consuming 5,000cals a day and stop working out, then yes, you'll get fat. Muscles just doesnt magical transform.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should definitely run while bodybuilding. Otherwise, your muscle will turn into fat.

cobrac

Reaction score
I've had good results pursuing both at the same time. If you decide to go this route, it helps to break the routines up and do one in the morning and one in the evening. (preferably cardio in the evening). i know, tough to schedule.

friendo

Reaction score
Concurrent Strength and Endurance Training: From Molecules to Man. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 38(11):1965-1970, November 2006 "Strength and endurance training produce widely diversified adaptations, with little overlap between them. Strength training typically results in increases in muscle mass and muscle strength. In contrast, endurance training induces increases in maximal oxygen uptake and metabolic adaptations that lead to an increased exercise capacity. In many sports, a combination of strength and endurance training is required to improve performance, but in some situations when strength and endurance training are performed simultaneously, a potential interference in strength development takes place, making such a combination seemingly incompatible. The phenomenon of concurrent training, or simultaneously training for strength and endurance, was first described in the scientific literature in 1980 by Robert C. Hickson, and although work that followed provided evidence for and against it, the interference effect seems to hold true in specific situations. At the molecular level, there seems to be an explanation for the interference of strength development during concurrent training; it is now clear that different forms of exercise induce antagonistic intracellular signaling mechanisms that, in turn, could have a negative impact on the muscle's adaptive response to this particular form of training. That is, activation of AMPK by endurance exercise may inhibit signaling to the protein-synthesis machinery by inhibiting the activity of mTOR and its downstream targets. The purpose of this review is to briefly describe the problem of concurrent strength and endurance training and to examine new data highlighting potential molecular mechanisms that may help explain the inhibition of strength development when strength and endurance training are performed simultaneously." "Acute endurance exercise bouts have generally been found to reduce total protein-synthesis rates of mixed skeletal muscles during the exercise. This depression is transient and can lead to a temporary decrease in protein synthesis within several hours after exercise (5,12,29). Overlapping endurance exercise bouts with resistance exercise may result in impaired adaptive responses in protein synthesis and, therefore, a decrease in strength-related performance, in part, due to the suboptimal or lack of increase in muscle-fiber cross-sectional areas (22). When performed several times a week, such combination training may be sufficient to disrupt the protein-synthesis mechanisms involved with the normal adaptation to the individual bouts of strength exercise, thus altering the long-term adaptations to training and resulting in impaired muscle-dependent strength gains. Another possibility, although hypothetical, is that the adaptive protein synthesis resulting from either form of exercise may create some sort of cellular incompatibility in which the muscle cell needs to decide whether to grow or manage the synthesis of its metabolic machinery." I can copy/paste, too.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I ain't reading that ****.

Lol on a more serious note I'm a rower and would definitely promote rowing as a good way to be social (you can't just ball hog) and condition your body at the same time. Lifting is a lonely sport, and at the same time lifting with someone can be awkward. Running is good for cardio and I do it occasionally around a track but I can't see myself doing it every morning by myself.

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Weightlifting will give you muscle which will turn to fat as you age

this is so so so wrong

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads