• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running for beginers

heavyd

Reaction score
I started running. I did this because I want to be in better shape and also I know if i join a gym I won't use it. Running is free. Push-ups and sit-ups are free. It's a little dated and Rocky Balboa.. but all the same I'm giving it a shot.

I guess my question is, in the past I could run on a tread mill for 20-30 min without a problem. Outdoors, I am winded after 10 minutes. Granted I am getting back into shape - and I expect to run more next month, etc... but is this common? Is outdoor running much more difficult than indoor? Is it mental?

Thanks to all the runners here for input.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
There are pros and cons - I find it a little easier to get motivated running outside, due to the ability to set a goal - run to the beach and back, etc. Running indoors is easier, but unless the temperature difference is extreme, it shouldn't be THAT much easier. Additionally, you have a set pace on a treadmill, but may not regulate your pace as well outdoors.

I suspect that the difference is a combination of things, but mostly attributable to being out-of-shape, especially if you are older.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is noticeably more difficult. On a treadmill, there is no wind resistance and generally no incline. There's a formula somewhere for approximating the effort required by wind resistance using the incline feature on a treadmill. It varies with speed, but I generally just set the treadmill to a 2 degree incline and I find that I don't feel much of a difference between that and running outdoors.

Also, if you don't keep your aerobic fitness up, you'll lose it pretty fast so comparing your past 20-30 mins to your current 10 mins doesn't really tell you anything except that you're in worse shape now.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
There are pros and cons - I find it a little easier to get motivated running outside, due to the ability to set a goal - run to the beach and back, etc. Running indoors is easier, but unless the temperature difference is extreme, it shouldn't be THAT much easier. Additionally, you have a set pace on a treadmill, but may not regulate your pace as well outdoors. I suspect that the difference is a combination of things, but mostly attributable to being out-of-shape, especially if you are older.
That sounds about right. ANother thing to consider is the significant joint/skeletal strain resulting from running. I have found that even though I am generally in better shape than I have often been, running makes my shins ache, especially the front. Feels like a deep pain, like impact related strain. Even if I only run 20 metres, it is uncomfortable for me.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is the same as dah's - 2% incline on the mill is equivalent to running on flat land outdoors.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
running makes my shins ache, especially the front. Feels like a deep pain, like impact related strain. Even if I only run 20 metres, it is uncomfortable for me.

I have that exact same problem. Cause/solutions?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan

My resolution has been to stop running
blush.gif

Seriously though, with all the joint (especially shoulders) problems I have had, I am not concerned about that anymore. Plus I have sprained my ankles a few times so I am leery to push my luck in that way.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
I started running. I did this because I want to be in better shape and also I know if i join a gym I won't use it. Running is free. Push-ups and sit-ups are free. It's a little dated and Rocky Balboa.. but all the same I'm giving it a shot.

I guess my question is, in the past I could run on a tread mill for 20-30 min without a problem. Outdoors, I am winded after 10 minutes. Granted I am getting back into shape - and I expect to run more next month, etc... but is this common? Is outdoor running much more difficult than indoor? Is it mental?

Thanks to all the runners here for input.

Yes, it's common. Running outdoors is harder. Conditions are more variable, even "flat" surfaces are never uniformly flat, etc. It may also be mental in the sense that you may be unconsciously pushing yourself harder outdoors, whereas indoors you're probably regulating your effort by reference to the readout on the machine. I find running outdoors more rewarding on many levels - I just can't run on a treadmill -- but obviously whatever you're more likely to stick with is what you should go with.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
I have had good success in dealing with similar shin splint issues through a combination of: (1) choosing running shoes with good arch support; and (2) stretching well, especially my calves.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some brand spankin new New Balance running shoes for an overpronator. I expected a world of difference compared to my $60 discounted Adidas runners that were beat to ****. The difference was minimal. Even after taking up running and doing it on a regular basis for 2 months, I still get the same shin, knee and ankle pain. I do have poor knees though (at age 26! WTF?), so I say if joint pains are a recurring problem for you, nothing can truly correct the problem. Better shoes can (possibly) mitigate it slightly, but even as you go up in price, the marginal benefits will be minimal, and shrinking. I like running outdoors (can't do that now with the weather). In early fall, it's nice to have the cool breeze. I usually run indoor on a track though, since I find the rubber surface is more comfortable. The scenery is boring, but occasionally university girls run, so that keeps me focused. This one girl had the most perfect toned legs I've ever seen...
bounce2.gif
I ran like a mofo that day... When I started, I did 5 minutes of running, 2 minutes of walking and repeated this until I ran about 25 laps, and walked 5. I probably could not do 30 minutes of running, unless I really slowed down the pace to a jog.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't generalize your experience with shoes or joint pains to everyone. Years ago I started having knee and ankle pain from running in poor shoes. I bought a pair of good motion control shoes from a shop where they know how to fit runners and after my first run in that pair, I was immediately and completely pain-free. I suggest buying shoes from a place that has expertise in fitting runners and having your stride and running form professionally evaluated. All of those can make a big difference.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
You can't generalize your experience with shoes or joint pains to everyone. Years ago I started having knee and ankle pain from running in poor shoes. I bought a pair of good motion control shoes from a shop where they know how to fit runners and after my first run in that pair, I was immediately and completely pain-free. I suggest buying shoes from a place that has expertise in fitting runners and having your stride and running form professionally evaluated. All of those can make a big difference.

I bought from the Running Room, a respected Canadian chain that specializes in running products. I was helped by a clerk for almost an hour, and tried on about 5 pairs of different brands, and these fit the best. The other ones were too narrow, and felt "soft" or "unstructured".

OK, I shouldn't generalize for all. My joint problems might be more severe than others, and possibly even less severe. The day after a long run/bike, I am wincing in pain when I walk up/down stairs, I walk like a penguin on flat surfaces because of the pain... for others, they might not have this degree of pain, in which case they might see a greater benefit from properly fitted shoes.

PITAronin

Reaction score
For those troubled with shin splint problems, I'l offer the following purely anecdotal suggestion. (That being said, it was passed along to me in my 20s when I was starting out doing distance running and I'm nearly 60 and have been running relatively pain-free all these years.) First, if your finances permit, track down a good massage therapist with a client base that includes a lot of runners (even half an hour every couple of weeks does wonders. My daughter is in her early 20s and has been doing this since she was 15 and runs at the collegiate varsity level virtually year-round: cross country in the fall, then winter indoor track and then spring outdoor track. I try to have my legs worked on every month or so.) Second, in addition to stretching your calves, try to stretch out the front of your shins both before and after running. Try standing with your feet shoulder width apart, then - keeping your back straight - squat, dropping about a foot or so until you feel the stretch across the shinbone. 20-25 repetitions both before and after running may help you. Good luck.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
I bought some brand spankin new New Balance running shoes for an overpronator. I expected a world of difference compared to my $60 discounted Adidas runners that were beat to ****. The difference was minimal. Even after taking up running and doing it on a regular basis for 2 months, I still get the same shin, knee and ankle pain. I do have poor knees though (at age 26! WTF?), so I say if joint pains are a recurring problem for you, nothing can truly correct the problem. Better shoes can (possibly) mitigate it slightly, but even as you go up in price, the marginal benefits will be minimal, and shrinking.

I like running outdoors (can't do that now with the weather). In early fall, it's nice to have the cool breeze. I usually run indoor on a track though, since I find the rubber surface is more comfortable. The scenery is boring, but occasionally university girls run, so that keeps me focused. This one girl had the most perfect toned legs I've ever seen...
bounce2.gif
I ran like a mofo that day...

When I started, I did 5 minutes of running, 2 minutes of walking and repeated this until I ran about 25 laps, and walked 5. I probably could not do 30 minutes of running, unless I really slowed down the pace to a jog.

Also note that if you're running outside the surface can make a difference. As Bandwagonesque points out, tracks tend to have good surfaces if you can deal with running in a circle. If running in town and you can safely do so, I recommend running on the blacktop streets rather than sidewalks. The asphalt has a lot more "give" and is easier on the joints. I've also had far fewer problems with cars on the street than with people backing out of driveways and the like when I'm on the sidewalk.

heavyd

Reaction score
glad to learn from everyone - thanks so much. i will keep at it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads