• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal Blue and red

ALinares

Reaction score
Can i wear a red tie with light blue stripes with a solid royal blue shirt.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can - just tie it!

What function and if you are asking presumably you are not sure that you would want to be seen thus. At the end of the day it is your decision, what you wear, no one else's so you must learn to observe and develop your own judgement as a matter of urgency.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can i wear a red tie with light blue stripes with a solid royal blue shirt.

Quite possibly. I'd have to see the tie and the shirt before being more definite than that.

One thing which suggests a potential problem is the royal blue shirt. While a light blue dress shirt is about as non-controversial as shirts can get, dark dress shirts have a substantial number of detractors. So, depending on just how dark that the royal blue shirt is, it may well get a thumbs down from various people (myself included), completely aside from any consideration of the specific tie you'd wear with it.

'Course, those who think dark dress shirts are attractive and appropriate might really like your choice of tie, as the light blue stripes would presumably stand out nicely against the dark blue of the shirt.

Further muddying the issue is the fact that some people will dislike royal blue shirts in some settings, but find them perfectly acceptable in others. What's deemed undesirable to wear when to court when you're on trial, might still meet with approval when worn to lunch with friends at an outdoor cafe.

ALinares

Reaction score

These are the two ties i have.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I feared, the shirt's darker than I'd like.

I don't love either tie, but I suppose I'd pick the striped one. Well, unless it would be a bad pairing with the suit or jacket you'll be wearing. But with a solid suit or jacket, yeah, I'd pick the striped tie. Worn with, say, a white or light blue shirt, it wouldn't look awful or anything.

I mentioned the "with a solid suit or jacket" thing, because I'm assuming you'll be wearing a suit or jacket. I don't think the shirt and tie without jacket (or at least sweater) look is all that becoming. Unlike some, I stop short of calling it the "Waiter at Olive Garden" look, but neither am I much of a fan of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads