• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

roped shoulders and more shoulders ?

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've gone and flipped through 'Dressing the Man', searched and read some of the threads, but I really can't figure out exactly what roping is and what it looks like. I understand it relates to Saville Row cuts of jackets, but can someone

(a) post some comparison pics;
(b) explain what it is, and what differentiates it from other shoulder structure;
(c) explain what kind of body it might look best on (or if not, what visual effect it has);
(d) point me to the thread that might answer this if it's already been illustrated/discussed.

I'm contemplating my next MTM suit, and I'd like to figure out more precisely what kind of shoulder structure I might prefer, and would also just like to know my options.

Thanks.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Roping looks like there's a piece of rope under the top of the sleevehead. Essentially, the sleeve bumps up higher than the top of the shoulder.

This coat I'm selling has roping:

blazer.jpg

This coat does not:

waywblacksuit.jpg

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question--on RTW stuff, I associate roped shoulders more with structured suits, double vents, brioni; and soft/natural shoulders more with trad, sack, single vent, J Press (but also with some Italian suits). Is that more or less accurate?

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Question--on RTW stuff, I associate roped shoulders more with structured suits, double vents, brioni; and soft/natural shoulders more with trad, sack, single vent, J Press (but also with some Italian suits). Is that more or less accurate?

To add to that, are soft/natural shoulders considered more casual or more appropriate for some body types?

What is the point of roped shoulders?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
To add to that, are soft/natural shoulders considered more casual or more appropriate for some body types?

What is the point of roped shoulders?

Some here consider that people with square/built shoulders should go with a softer shoulder jacket, while those with sloped shoulders should compensate with a less natural shoulder jacket. I personally don't agree with that as I think everyone looks better with natural/sloped shoulder coats.

The point of roped shoulders is purely aesthetic. There is no functional benefit that I'm aware of

alebrady

Reaction score
i agree it is an aesthetic choice, like ticket pockets, peak lapels, etc.

personally, i have come to appreciate roping more than i had historically

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. I just visited Chan today to discuss a suit jacket I received with roping. It was a little more than I liked, so I asked him to reduce it. He then pinned my left shoulder to show how it would look with a soft, natural shoulder, as I don't have much padding in the shoulder in the first place. I opted for some roping.

My point? Pure aesthetic. With MTM, it's great that you can determine how much of it to have to get the look you want. I think the roping gives me a better structure to my otherwise sloping shoulders.

However, I did notice that with roping, it will likely cause a ridging effect (i.e. fold) right under the rope if your arm isn't perfectly straight. So if you have a slimmer cut suit, the roping may make the upper arm not as "clean," if I'm making any sense. When Chan pinned the soft shoulder, the ridging effect was gone. Even on his suit with the roping, it had a similar effect, so I know it wasn't the tailoring. Maybe someone can comment more on this. I might be way off.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
(c) explain what kind of body it might look best on (or if not, what visual effect it has)

I have fairly square shoulders. Both roped and soft shoulders work for me. I think roped can portray a slightly 'stronger' or more dramatic visual effect while softer shoulders look super clean. Both can look classy.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Some here consider that people with square/built shoulders should go with a softer shoulder jacket, while those with sloped shoulders should compensate with a less natural shoulder jacket. I personally don't agree with that as I think everyone looks better with natural/sloped shoulder coats.

The point of roped shoulders is purely aesthetic. There is no functional benefit that I'm aware of

+1. You are better off playing the hand you've got than trying to be something else.

Areth

Reaction score
I really emphatically hate roped shoulders. I used to assume it was just a sign of defective tailoring - who wants their sleeve sloppily puffing up above the shoulder line at the seam? I understand some are partial to the aesthetic, but it also definitely seems to be a hallmark of cheap suits. I stopped using a lowish-end HK guy (Andy Wong, about $1k USD a suit) because his jackets came back with heavily roped shoulders. It never crossed my mind at the time that someone might actually want such a thing...

Padding is another matter entirely and I do think it has a place in moderation, though I tend to be personally partial to a more natural shoulder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads