• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rome: updated suggestions

makker

Reaction score
Going to Rome soon; what are stores that I cannot miss? Unfortunately I will be alone so going to restaurants and dining alone will feel too awkward. Mainly good shopping is in mind as well as generally touring around the city.. no sightseeing though, since its all been done before.

hypostatic

Reaction score
The shopping isn't all that impressive in Rome... but head over to Via Condotti, and almost everything is accessible from there. As for restaurants, check out Gusto - it's casual dining, and you really won't look out of place alone, especially if it's in the afternoon.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makker
Going to Rome soon; what are stores that I cannot miss? Unfortunately I will be alone so going to restaurants and dining alone will feel too awkward. Mainly good shopping is in mind as well as generally touring around the city.. no sightseeing though, since its all been done before.

Condotti, and surrounding areas. Found a cool store, Baby Dior, where I bought things for my sister's new baby.

They have a nice Kiton store a few blocks down across from Etro. Also picked up some huge deals at the Frette store when I was there last.

Shopping in most major cities are now to me almost the exact same thing where ever you go. The brands are all globalized so unless you're buying from a smaller, specialized store, shopping ceases to matter to me based on location. It is a nicer area to shop, though.

jcru

Reaction score
I love the following men's stores in Rome:

DEGLI EFFETTI
Piazza Capranica 79
North of the Pantheon
-- Multi-brands from Europe and Asia; nearby Tazza d'Oro has great coffee!

S.B.U. (STRATEGIC BUSINESS UNIT)
Via di San Pantaleo 68-69
West of the Piazza Navona
-- Jeans and t-shirts akin to A.P.C. (www.sbu.it); relatively nearby Sant'Eustachio has great coffee!

ASPESI
Via del Babuino 144
South of the Piazza del Popolo
-- Beautiful blazers and shirts in nylon and cotton; puffy outerwear, too.

DAVIDE CENCI
Via di Campo Marzio 1
-- Italian suiting akin to Brooks Brothers; nearby Giolitti has great "ficchi" (fig) gelato!

Have a great trip, and if you have the chance, try to visit the new MAXXI Museum by Zaha Hadid!

makker

Reaction score
Thank you very much!

Are stores still open on Sundays during this time of the year by the way?

makker

Reaction score
Also, are there good stores for buying bags; looking mainly for weekend bag and maybe some other smaller ones.

jcru

Reaction score
I can think only of Il Bisonte on via dei Coronari 105; you can get their products in the States, but a visit to the shop in Rome will also take you to a beautiful pedestrian area west of the Piazza Navona and anchored by via del Governo Vecchio -- where there are many good shops & restaurants. I am not sure about hours of operation, unfortunately.

Buon viaggio.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just returned from Rome. The few shops I liked were:

Lattanzi (shoes)
Via Bocca di Leone 59
Not my style, but some nice eye candy.
They also have Gatto shoes which are more to my taste.

Cruciani & Bella (ties)
Piazza San Lorenzo in Lucina
They have Drakes, Holliday & Brown and house brand.
It's a cozy little store in a nice piazza.

Gente (designer stuff)
Via Babuino
Cool store design

The Eddy Monetti and Kiton windows were nice, but I didn't go in.
Davide Cenci might be worth a look, too. I just poked my head into the shoe dept.
There are a lot of junky stores in Rome as well as all the international brand stores.
I never made it to Battistioni which is supposed to be worth a look.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For leather bags and other goodies, try Ibiz at via dei chiavari 39--and visit the turtle fountain, which is pretty close by.

Don't be afraid to dine out alone.

Zeppelin

Reaction score
Any recent recommendations? I'll be in Rome next week. Specifically looking for RTW shirts and maybe also a suit. Price level would ideally be somewhere between Boggi and Borrelli :) Thx in advance!

Edit: Oops, I just saw that this isn't quite the right subforum. I'll post in the classic menswear forum, too; hope that's ok.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads