• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolex Datejust - stuck between two variations

neato

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently inherited 5 yellow gold ladies watches (A Patek Philippe, a Concord, a Rolex, a Mathey-Tissot, and a LeCoultre). I'm looking to trade in/sell some (or all) of these watches and get myself a Rolex Datejust.

I know exactly what I want, except I am unsure about what material(s) I should get.

I want a Rolex Datejust with a blue dial, sapphire crystal, jubilee bracelet, hatchmarks, and a fluted bezel.

The only question I have is, should I go for the all Stainless Steel model or the two-tone yellow gold/stainless steel model? What would look better? What's classier? I want the watch to last me a long time and I plan on wearing it all of the time (with both casual and formal outfits). I want a watch that will go with a lot of different colors and types of clothes. It should go with everything from a t-shirt to a suit.

I have rather light skin, as well. My mother also has light skin and refuses to wear any yellow gold because it doesn't go with her skin tone (she sticks with white gold and platinum). She prefers the stainless steel model.

My father, on the other hand, has owned a two-tone 18k/SS Rolex for close to 40 years now. He prefers the two-tone model for me. He doesn't believe the watch has a lot of gold (so it's not flashy). He says the tiny amount of gold just adds something extra that I wont get with the all SS model. Plus, the yellow gold goes well with the blue dial (and I agree with him there, I just don't know if the yellow gold would go with my skin or what I'd be wearing).

Here are some pictures:
116233bsj.jpg
rolxdjbd3yl4.jpg

OR

116234bsj.jpg
RX100737_fb.jpg

The picture on the bottom left is actually a WG/SS model, but it looks very similar to the completely SS model, so you get the idea.

I don't plan on making a decision until I'm 100% sure I know that's what I want. Right now, I'm leaning towards the all Stainless Steel model, but a month ago I was leaning towards the two-tone model. I thought it couldn't hurt to ask you guys what you thought, since a lot of you seem to know how to dress well.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also prefer the two-tone, which is what I have (with a gold face, not blue). I also have rather light skin, and while your mother's advice against wearing yellow gold on light skin is well taken, when it's a two-tone item with the yellow gold in the minority, the effect is pretty negligible.

This is probably too obvious to point out, but if you haven't already, you should try them both on and see which one you think looks best on you. That's what I ended up doing.

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I would go with the white gold. It blends in with more outfits.

Yup what he said!
teacha.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of that type of watch in general (for me), but I especially dislike two-tone watches. Go WG or stainless IMO.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would choose the SS only because the two tone has been copied by so many lower rung makers that it's the most ubiquitous watch design on the planet. And, that's not a good thing. BTW, I would choose so many other similar watches, from other makers, before this watch.

neato

Reaction score
Master Shake, I will definitely try both on before I make my decision. My father keeps telling me the exact same thing - that there is so little gold that it shouldn't be a problem. It just adds that little something extra that makes the watch stand out.

I'll have to try one on before I can fully agree with him.

EDIT: I've actually seen a WG/SS model in person, and I think it looks weird. The colors of the WG and SS seem to clash on the bracelet. I know some of the "SS only" models actually have a WG bezel, but that doesn't look as bad to me as the WG/SS bracelet.

james48

Reaction score
take a look at the rose gold - i had the same problem until i seen the rose gold 2 tone. It looks a lot like yellow, just a lot more toned down.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I'm not a huge fan of that type of watch in general (for me), but I especially dislike two-tone watches. Go WG or stainless IMO.
+1, the two-tone looks as if you couldn't afford an all-gold one, according to my gf. A colleague of mine has a ladies' white gold one - very nice.

neato

Reaction score
The funny thing is that I can afford an all-yellow gold Rolex if I get good deals on the watches I'm trading in (which are all completely yellow gold). To me, the all-yellow gold watches are just too flashy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads