• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rckch

Reaction score
Last time I reached out to him was around mid March as I was supposed to have a build completed at the end of that month. He did reply as said he was behind, although I'm not sure by how much. You may try and reach out to him on instagram as well as he's still actively posting here and there as well.

So after finally getting a hold of Brian after 2+ months (thanks to Mghart's suggestion of contacting him on IG), we exchanged a couple emails back and forth where he explained the pricing and the waitlist process and then.... he stopped responding again lol. I think I give up at this point. While Brian's work looks top notch and I understand he is busy, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when it takes me this long just to get ahold of him to put my deposit down and name on the waitlist. Also, it seems like the price for a pair of underdogs went up to $1850 now with half up front. And while Brian doesn't seem like the dishonest type, I don't know how great I'd feel having close to $1000 held up for 2+ years when the communication isn't the greatest. Anyway, that's the end of my rant. Guess I'll just continue to admire from afar.

DG123

Reaction score

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after finally getting a hold of Brian after 2+ months (thanks to Mghart's suggestion of contacting him on IG), we exchanged a couple emails back and forth where he explained the pricing and the waitlist process and then.... he stopped responding again lol. I think I give up at this point. While Brian's work looks top notch and I understand he is busy, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when it takes me this long just to get ahold of him to put my deposit down and name on the waitlist. Also, it seems like the price for a pair of underdogs went up to $1850 now with half up front. And while Brian doesn't seem like the dishonest type, I don't know how great I'd feel having close to $1000 held up for 2+ years when the communication isn't the greatest. Anyway, that's the end of my rant. Guess I'll just continue to admire from afar.

I feel you at that price and time frame, it's definitely way past the point most would be willing to deal with it. He most likely raised the price to keep more people from jumpin in? Frankly it probably would be a good idea to either increase the staff or close orders till some of that backlog is done

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you really want a pair, i wouldnt let it discourage you, I can understand it leaves a bad taste in your mouth to some extent, but he's a one man show and he has no staff. His waitlist is now 3x as long as it was when i last ordered which understandably delays answering messages to some extent.

As far as the waitlist and paying half up front, that is new but not outside the realm of bespoke. The bespoke shoe makers ive used (two) take half up front for orders and im pretty sure that is industry standard and two years +/- is how long those take as well. So Brian's early customers got a deal more than anything.

If you want better customer i can totally understand looking elsewhere or moving on but aside from that its worth it in my opinion if you like his work.

DG123

Reaction score
Truman’s 79 last had a super low instep back in the day. It’s been modified since.

O.K. However my question is if you ordered your Truman boots using a tracing (or some other similar measuring method), how did it come to be that the instep was a tight fit ?
In other words, I understand that a last (such as Truman #79) could have a shallow instep height, but if Truman is producing boots from customer foot measurements the fit is supposed to be ideal.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
O.K. However my question is if you ordered your Truman boots using a tracing (or some other similar measuring method), how did it come to be that the instep was a tight fit ?
In other words, I understand that a last (such as Truman #79) could have a shallow instep height, but if Truman is producing boots from customer foot measurements the fit is supposed to be ideal.
Truman has not and is not doing foot tracings. All the sizing is standard.

lol_12345

Reaction score
so i'm currently on the waitlist for a pair of underdogs around summer 2023. i'm thinking of either doing a maryam natural horsebutt or a W&C buck brown. does anyone know how much sq ft brian needs to make a pair of underdogs? i'll email him asking closer to my date but i figured someone here might know too from past experience and respond quicker since brian seems quite busy these days

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
can’t wait to get these back from RC

as well as RC engineers and Underdogs by end of this year ?‍?
D1E58D53-05FD-4972-A135-6C2EABCC1D5B.jpeg

7700BE26-B1A5-4F25-A0CE-AC7A6173113A.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads