• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Road Trip Advice: Vancouver to San Diego??

BIGBERTHA

Reaction score
My wife and I have 2 weeks and a GTI. We love shopping (Self Edge is the only place i have loaded on GPS so far), great food/drink/music and the beach. Affordable boutique hotels would be nice, but clean bed to rest heads at night is all we really need. If you know of any spots along the way, recommendations for shopping, eating, sleeping...please share. We leave on 18th.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the Custom Hotel in LA is pretty affordable and modern. Its near LAX just off the freeway. http://www.customhotel.com/ I've never stayed but I live down the street. About 2 miles from the beach.

Reaction score
beer/cheap food

pdx bunk sandwiches, voodoo donuts, racoon lounge (10 sours currently)
santa rosa: russian river brewpub. imo the best american brewery. their ipa's and sours are amazing
sd: stone world bistro (check out the pix of this place it by far the prettiest bar in america... huge garden out back

lucha libre- best burrito in sd

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got back to SD from a roadtrip to San Fran...I'd recommend driving the coast at least through little towns like Pacifica, Half Moon Bay, maybe all the way down to Santa Cruz. San Fran had some awesome shopping (I mean, a Goyard store? haha, plus everything else you can think of, Alden comes to mind).

Once you get to SD go to La Jolla, try Black's Beach if you've never done the nude beach thing (seriously, it's awesome).

Yes, Stone Brwery is pretty awesome, I live about 5 minutes from there. Also check out University Heights & North Park (30th street) for great hipster/craft beer bars like the Linkery, Ritual, Blind Lady, etc

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would just wait until youre in SD then go to any hole-in-the-wall taco shop with a Mexican guys name on it...probably avoid places like Chevys or other chains. El Indio in Old Town San Diego is good, but it's hard to go wrong around here unless you end up at Taco Bell.

BIGBERTHA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bassmanpatsfan18
Taking the pacific coast highway is a must when going through Monterey, Big Sur, San Simeon, Carmel, etc.

Ya...will do this for sure. I'm still trying to figure out how much of the Oregon coast we "need" to see??

ecovillain

Reaction score
How much of the trip is about the places (hotels food etc) and how much about the drive? There are some incredibly entertaining roads in northern California that are worth checking out if you want to put the GTI through its paces.

BIGBERTHA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ecovillain
How much of the trip is about the places (hotels food etc) and how much about the drive? There are some incredibly entertaining roads in northern California that are worth checking out if you want to put the GTI through its paces.

Good question. I'd say it is 25% about the drive and scenery. 25% about the food, 25% about the shopping, 25% about the places.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads