• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLPL and Made in China

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Your iPhone, iPod, Pre or high-end electronics are all manufactured/assembled in China.

While this is true, I think that there is a big difference between a practical, electronic and a luxury good (aka all the clothes we buy on SF). The cost of the materials that make up an iPod costs a LOT, and the comparison between such an electronic and a piece is kind of mute (I mean, the PS3 is so expensive to produce that Sony is selling them at a loss...).

I have no idea the cost of materials that go into a "luxury piece of clothing" but I can be pretty sure that it's nowhere near (proportionally) what it takes to produce a high-end electronic device.

theoldadage

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simon4rings
Maybe the purists here can try a few days without depending or using anything that was not made wholly or partly in China and let us know how it turns out, OK? This also includes products from companies like RL that support China sweatshops for their lower lines.
Don't think I will, thanks... I think people are reading too far into this.

emakris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Worry more about the integrity of the company that's having things made in China. If the material specs are identical and the manufacturing tolerances are identical then place of manufacture is a moot point.
I respectfully disagree. I support my local economy where I can; if something costs the same at the high street and my local village store, I will buy it locally. In a bigger scale, I live in Europe and I prefer to buy European where I can.

Also, I would never buy an expensive item made in China, unless we are talking vases. I may be paying a premium for a brand I like but I'm not an idiot. 600 USD for a Chinese sweater? Really?

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
+1000000

What has the Chinese done on an original basis other than maybe General Tsao Chicken?

Paper?

Originally Posted by vitaminc

I refuse to buy from companies that source from Chinese sweatshops therefore I buy American Apparels.

laugh.gif
or perhaps Ford/Chrysler

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads