• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLBL Suit Fit Critique

literasyme

Reaction score
What? The chest is cut too tight by design? That's just nonsense, no? It's one thing for a coat to be tight-fitting and slim (and, in the case of RLBL, with strong, even extended shoulders), but that doesn't mean the lapels have to -- or are supposed to -- flare.

xudisco07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Largely sharp, however I'd say the chest is a bit tight -- lapels are buckling/bowing out. Are the vents flaring at all?

Chest looks just fine.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit looks great, though I agree with everyone that the shoulders stick out just a tad. Nothing you can fix at this point.

Curious, when did you get an RLBL on Gilt? Did they have it on sale recently?

nytek

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

On the chest issue - the picture may be a bit deceiving but the lapels are not flaring - and the high gorge is a RLBL aesthetic.

On the pant break - I prefer my pants with no break, so that's just a personal preference, especially on slim pants.

In general, I'm very pleased with the suit. It's well-constructed and with good material - so from a value standpoint, I know it's SF approved. But more importantly, I personally like the style as well because it is a little more fashion forward and stylish (the slim look), which I prefer as a 26-year old.

Maybe in a few years, I'll prefer the natural-shouldered and more subtle lines of a Rubinacci or something, but for the time being, the RLBL is a look that I like.

literasyme

Reaction score
The gorge is fine. Compared to some current Italian trends, it's positively conservative. And if the bowing of the lapels, and the slight flaring of the vent visible in your second picture, are not present or as noticeable IRL, good for you. That said, I do find comments like 'this is not a sack suit' in response to an observation about tightness seriously vexing. I didn't say, after all, that the coat was cut unflatteringly or inappropriately slim, but that the OP's chest was too large for his jacket. That's an observation that has nothing to do with the style of the jacket or its inherent aesthetic appeal, but with fit. RLBL coats aren't cut deliberately in a way that makes the lapels bow out now, are they? (And don't think I'm objecting to lapel roll -- that's not what's visible in the OP's pictures.)

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nytek
It's rum and that's just how I roll
devil.gif
As a side note, the salesman at Saks kept insisting that I should go with a 38R. I'm assuming it's safe to say that the 36R is the right fit.

This really grinds my gears. I'm the same as you (36R) and am constantly told I'm a 38, they're sure of it. Makes me furious.

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
Sales people RARELY give you the correct size. It should be a rule of dressing. 1) If a sales person shows you a size, try it on and THEN try on the next shortest size and see how it compares.

A rule I always use, the more fitted and tailored, the less you have to get alterted. Right? Right!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dressed2the9s
Sales people RARELY give you the correct size. It should be a rule of dressing. 1) If a sales person shows you a size, try it on and THEN try on the next shortest size and see how it compares.

A rule I always use, the more fitted and tailored, the less you have to get alterted. Right? Right!

actuallly the 'correct size' is more flexible than what we sfers may think. you can wear it one size larger to have it more flexible in your movement and look more conservative or wear it like you a little more snug, but still correct.

the malls and stores like to suggest the 'safer' correct size so as to not deal with complaints or problems with it later.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
actuallly the 'correct size' is more flexible than what we sfers may think. you can wear it one size larger to have it more flexible in your movement and look more conservative or wear it like you a little more snug, but still correct.

the malls and stores like to suggest the 'safer' correct size so as to not deal with complaints or problems with it later.

If you want a more conservative fit though, you should generally buy a suit that's the same size but in a more conservative cut. Sometimes you can achieve a similar look by sizing up, but often you will just look like you're wearing a suit that's a size too big...

The same applies to the opposite. 'Sizing down' a conservatively cut suit in an attempt to make it look like RLBL, will not achieve what you want. You'll just end up looking like you're wearing a suit that's a size too small.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say it looks good, the suits fits like a glove, as dose the shirt and you did a wonderful job on the tie as well.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like you're hiding something behind that bottle of rum.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
If you want a more conservative fit though, you should generally buy a suit that's the same size but in a more conservative cut. Sometimes you can achieve a similar look by sizing up, but often you will just look like you're wearing a suit that's a size too big...

The same applies to the opposite. 'Sizing down' a conservatively cut suit in an attempt to make it look like RLBL, will not achieve what you want. You'll just end up looking like you're wearing a suit that's a size too small.

correct. i didnt mean it as an absolute statement, more so in the realm of reason let say if it fits in shoulder but you can let there be a little flexibility in the waist or so forth depending on the priorities of your body's specific fit

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nytek
This is a 36R RLBL that I got off Gilt. My shirt sleeves are a little short, which is why you don't see much cuff, but the only alterations done were sleeves shortened and pants hemmed. Any suggestions for any other potential alterations.

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2938-1.jpg

I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the back.

looks awesome, nice buy

etb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
The suit looks great, though I agree with everyone that the shoulders stick out just a tad. Nothing you can fix at this point.

I had a RL tailor successfully reduce the shoulders of two BLs--probably just 3/8" on each side, but just enough to create a more natural (and age/environment-appropriate) look without losing the sharp BL character. I like my version, but your suit also looks great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads