• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL SALE SUITS

oldskool

Reaction score
Well, the polo.com sale was too good to be true i'm affraid... I ordered both the black and charcoal winter suits at polo.com a few weeks back for the sale price plus 25% off. I recieved the black one just fine, but the fabric was hardly a "cashmere blend" the wool was 'tough' i returned it. The 'charcoal suit', supposedly a flat front, single vent $1395 retail arrived as a different suit alltogether, with a navy / grey pinstripe, pleats and an english vent - not all all the suit pictured, and the price on the suit was $1195, not $1395. I returned the black one with the receipt for the more expensive one and kept the navy one for $440 (my net sale price + 25% + free shipping) for 63% off. Not entirely thrilled, but a sale is a sale... I think it is a fine albeit accidental addition to my wardrobe. I have never seen this navy suit with charcoal pinstrip, and do not even know if it belongs to this season... but the fabric is softer than the black suit and the fit is much better for some reason. the tag says, "POLO II" made in italy. I will say that my paul stuart winter suit is a higher quality for the same type, and seems to have a better fit... but was not nearly as well priced (though about the same price retail) so i will go back to the paul stuart sale this week and see if there is anything else worth picking up.

anyone else with a polo.com sale experience??

Debaser

Reaction score
A month or two ago I ordered the "Cashmere-lined Westcott jacket" only to find that the lining was 15% Cashmere / 85% Wool. I was shocked. Needless to say I returned it, with a note conveying my frustration. So the website now reads "Lining: woold/cashmere" rather than "Lining: cashmere" which was an outright lie.

Do they pride themselves on the bait and switch or something?

oldskool

Reaction score
I read that previous comment about the coat. I think in general, RLPL is good quality. However, it's only reasonable on sale. The manf. prices are only a marketing ploy for brand image. Unlike say an Hermes, that really gets it's retail prices.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, a while back there was some debate here as to whether their Darlton wingtips were indeed shell cordovan, since the description says "calfskin uppers." Well, I took the chance and ordered two pairs. Sure enough, they are clearly cordovan. Well, I decided to write Polo.com a note explaining what had happened with the shoes (as well as other items, including the "cashmered lined" jackets.) They wrote back and said they were sorry. Sure enough, now go to the polo.com website: the Darlton description now says the shoes are cordovan. I think I'm probably not wrong when I say that change is probably because of my letter. The funny thing though, is that they clearly have no idea what they are doing and were just reacting to my letter that was specifically about the wingtips I bought, because all of the other Darlton shoes - the blutcher, the loafer - still say calfskin. So, it's nice to think that my letter actually did somethin, but they are still clueless.

oldskool

Reaction score
Note, Polo.com is owned by GE and they pay a % to RLPolo Corp. This may explain why they run it like a wharehouse operation instead of a madison avenue luxury retailer.  

I have literally gotten steals from that site... but I am pretty familiar with thier line.  My issue with the suit was more that I ordered something and received something else, and a cheaper something else at that.  Fortuantely, got the more expensive suit for less money by returning the other suit.  

But net net, I am pleased with my 63% off and I do like the suit I am keeping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads