• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Black Label Photos

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.mj
I'm going to go down to the RL store tomorrow to check out BL suits in charcoal. If I got one, I was thinking of wearing it for interviews this winter. I realize the line is a bit modern. Do members think it's appropriate for something like that? Thanks for any advice.

Background: I'm a junior in college and would be interviewing for banking internships.

If you do make sure you get belt loops put on it. Also be sure to pair it with a conservative tie. I wore a Blue Label suit to my banking interviews because I thought it was a good balance between super tight Black Label and boring Brooks Brothers. I also couldn't afford a Black Label suit when I was in college.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.mj
I'm going to go down to the RL store tomorrow to check out BL suits in charcoal. If I got one, I was thinking of wearing it for interviews this winter. I realize the line is a bit modern. Do members think it's appropriate for something like that? Thanks for any advice.

Background: I'm a junior in college and would be interviewing for banking internships.

I wouldn't. This will likely turn into your interview suit as well, you don't want some interviewer taking umbrage at the "skinny suit" you show up in. Are they likely to? No, but why take the chance.

Wait until you get that banker's salary to buy the perfect Black Label suit.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
If you do make sure you get belt loops put on it. Also be sure to pair it with a conservative tie. I wore a Blue Label suit to my banking interviews because I thought it was a good balance between super tight Black Label and boring Brooks Brothers. I also couldn't afford a Black Label suit when I was in college.
Why do you suggest belt loops? Seems odd to me. Part of the sleekness would be lost imo.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if my pants had side tab adjusters and were constructed not to wear a belt yes. Also the jacket should be worn at all times so I doubt if anyone is noticing belt vs non belt especially because a tie would be in the mix. Then again, I do not work in an ultra conservative field, so take my answers as such.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
First year (F/W 2005 I think, not 2006 as mentioned upthread, though my memory might be faulty) was indeed a bit different - some items even slimmer, some looser. Everything since has been the same silhouette I think.

I think you are right. I have a jacket from F/W 2006 that is cut identically to the one I purchased from the mansion in F/W 2007. That is as far back as I've seen.

Doc, f*cking awesome, but it's not just the BL in this case.

Visited the mansion two weeks ago and was disappointed in the offerings I saw from this season.
eh.gif
Can't win 'em all.

akaidiot

Reaction score
I posted this in the polo sale thread and no one responded, so I thought I'd try my luck on this thread. I hope that's not totally inappropriate:

I went to the mansion last night and tried on a solid navy flannel black label suit. It was awfully nice, but I've never spent more than $450 on a suit, so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. I have it on hold, though. Any thoughts on navy flannel? I live in NYC now but I hope to be moving back to Los Angeles sometime soon -- a wool flannel suit isn't completely inappropriate for LA, is it? As long as it's not the middle of the summer, I suppose? Right?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here is my fit pic for my black label suit. i'm a bit on the short side (5'7") so the jacket (36) fits a bit longer on me than i like, as well as the sleeves. i'm going to the tailor in a few hours to have him shorten the jacket hem by 1" and the sleeves by 0.5" as you can see there is a lot of padding in the shoulders, adding to my already slightly square shoulders. i was also thinking maybe i could have my tailor take a bit out of it...the colors are a bit washed out, i was too lazy/in a hurry to adjust before heading out yesterday. the tie is suppose to be a deep purple
laugh.gif
suitpic.jpg

metkirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
here is my fit pic for my black label suit. i'm a bit on the short side (5'7") so the jacket (36) fits a bit longer on me than i like, as well as the sleeves. i'm going to the tailor in a few hours to have him shorten the jacket hem by 1" and the sleeves by 0.5"

as you can see there is a lot of padding in the shoulders, adding to my already slightly square shoulders. i was also thinking maybe i could have my tailor take a bit out of it...the colors are a bit washed out, i was too lazy/in a hurry to adjust before heading out yesterday. the tie is suppose to be a deep purple
laugh.gif

suitpic.jpg

Woah, the fit's very nice. I'm also 5'7, how much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? Mind posting the measurements of the suit?

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
here is my fit pic for my black label suit. i'm a bit on the short side (5'7") so the jacket (36) fits a bit longer on me than i like, as well as the sleeves. i'm going to the tailor in a few hours to have him shorten the jacket hem by 1" and the sleeves by 0.5"

as you can see there is a lot of padding in the shoulders, adding to my already slightly square shoulders. i was also thinking maybe i could have my tailor take a bit out of it...the colors are a bit washed out, i was too lazy/in a hurry to adjust before heading out yesterday. the tie is suppose to be a deep purple
laugh.gif

suitpic.jpg

Very nice, the perfect length if you prefer to wear your jackets longer, otherwise up another half an inch to an inch would do. I wouldn't say the padding is heavy at all, simply that the shoulders extend out further than you normally see. I like it a lot and wouldn't mess with it. Well done!

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
i dont understand how that suit is "trendy" looking at all
Thinner lapel, very high gorge, very trim silhouette. All things that are "in" right now, but not necessarily unattractive either.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Thinner lapel, very high gorge, if the wearer wasn't 5'7", it would be quite short, i.e. ending above the bottom of the seat. All things that are "in" right now, but not necessarily unattractive either.

Proof of this is the 'unusually' low buttoning position. Of course, buttoning position is largely determined by one's waist with made-to-measure or bespoke, but here it is likely lower than the wearer's waist because of his height, yet the jacket doesn't look over long because it is meant to be short (on bigger people). It still looks great. Well done :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads