• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ringleader of the Mozzers

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on the new Morrissey album? I bought it and am still letting it sink in... Not sure what all the hype was about, still...

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, since you asked...

It's not his best work. If you enjoy Morrissey's work on a biographical, so-this-is-what's-going-on-in-Morrissey's-life level (did you like "Maladjusted"?), you'll enjoy the whole thing. But it's not as consistent as "You are the Quarry," and lacks both the genuinely good songs on there ("First of the Gang To Die," "Irish Blood...," "How Could Anyobdy Say...") and the good-natured melodrama ("I Like You," "You Know I Couldn't Last"). If you pay attention to Moz (and lord knows that's what he wants), you've probably already heard the best songs on the new one, "You Have Killed Me" and "I Will See You in Far Off Places."

It's worth it, maybe, just for the cover art and the lyrics to "On the Streets I Ran":

"No, not me, this cannot be,
Dear God, take him, take them, take anyone
The stillborn,
The newborn
The infirmed,
Take anyone
Take people from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Just spare me!"

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I stopped listening to Moz after Southpaw Grammar, which I just found trite. Maladjusted didn't do much for me either, is that the one with "Alma Matters"? Maybe I'll look for You Are the Quarry. Since Your Arsenal, it feels his sound hasn't really evolved much from that sort of rockabilly shoegazer thing he had going, and it hasn't really been as good as it was on Your Arsenal either...

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked the Smiths a great deal, but haven't been able to get into Morissey.

koji

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten the new cd but I did download some of the songs from itunes. It sounds good and I will def. buy the cd. I've always like Morrissey and The Smiths. Some CD's are better, some are worse.

I think this cd is one of the better. You are the quarry sounds great also.

The only thing I don't understand is his recent release of several cd's so close together and some with only a couple of songs.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I haven't gotten the new cd but I did download some of the songs from itunes. It sounds good and I will def. buy the cd. I've always like Morrissey and The Smiths. Some CD's are better, some are worse.

I think this cd is one of the better. You are the quarry sounds great also.

The only thing I don't understand is his recent release of several cd's so close together and some with only a couple of songs.

I think he's been doing that for a while --releasing singles as well as EPs with extra tracks. I have some from the Bona Drag- Kill Uncle period (My Love Life, etc.).

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
"Quarry" marked a return to form for Moz after some very lackluster albums, and I renewed my interest in his music with that album. I generally like "Ringleader," although I will don't agree with all of the hype -- I like "Quarry" much much more. It was a rarity for me: just about every song on that album was strong. With Ringleader, I like half, and find the other half blah.

Strong songs to me include:
I will see you in far off places
You have killed me
The Youngest was the most loved
The father who must be killed

Less strong but still decent:
In the future when all's well
Life is a pigsty (I waver on this one; could be in the above category)
At last I am born

There does seem to be a bit of a fascination with homicide on this album...

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trite is Morrissey's middle name (Stephen T. Morrissey). I thought on Quarry, he made it a little clearer that he knew his pathos was at least a little funny, and that wink seems a little more absent on Ringleader. I dunno if it's just nostalgia, but nothing seems to measure up to pre-Grammar albums (and it's false nostalgia on my part, considering I was, like, 12). I blame the rockabilly tilt on his band of Americans.

Maladjusted did have Alma Matters, and Satan Rejected my Soul, which was pretty good.

Really, I celebrate the guy's entire catalog.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, he's been mocking his pathos for the last twenty years... in recent interviews he had spoken of being happy at last, and that seemed so novel I was hoping it had seeped into his work.

His middle name is Patrick.

What got you into Morrissey back when you did? He certainly wasn't at his peak with Southpaw.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I blame the rockabilly tilt on his band of Americans.

His band isn't made up of Americans. The current keyboardist is (and he only joined with the last album).

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got into the smiths well after they were making music. My coked out, Ian Curtis-obsessed friend who wore smiths or bauhaus tees under his shirt and tie lent me The Queen Is Dead .... this was maybe mid-90s. I was not a fan of Morrissey solo at the time (around Vauxhall, I think). It wasn't until I got to college that I heard Viva Hate, etc., and gave Vauxhall and I another listen.

The Quarry tour was the first time I saw Morrissey live, and it was a great great show.

His band isn't made up of Americans.
Wow, I'm dumb. Why did I think a guy named Boz Boorer was American?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Boz Boorer was the guitarist for The Polecats, who had some hits in the 80s and still occasionally reunite for a show (last saw em about 4 years ago). I believe another member (the bassist) was also in some prominent psychobilly bands.

I'm with Koji that while I love the Smiths, never got into solo Morrisey other than a couple songs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads