• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reweaving Suggestion - Pics

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, today was not a good day for me. I did this:

zwgqwm.jpg

14alan4.jpg

I went to the only tailor I could find that did "invisible mending" and he showed me his work. He said at the end of the day, if it can be done, I will end up with "L" shaped railway track stitching along the edges of the tear. He does not do the work but sends it out and thought it would cost around $150 to $200 but would need to confirm with the person that does the work.

Is proper re-weaving noticeable. What he said made sense, as he said he needs something to anchor what is rewoven to.

Are there any options to send this jacket away for the best work?

This is my nicest suit by far, and not rolling in the cash. I have any number of crappy suits this would not bother me too much to happen to, but nope, my only Canali.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you, my good man, are fukked..
just curious....how did that happen?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, just did some more reading, and it seems what he proposes is about as good as it can come. And he can hopefully hide the vertical stitch in the pattern of the suit. The problem will be finding a piece of fabric somewhere on the suit big enough to do the re-weaving.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea. Have you ever heard of a manufacturer doing this?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Interesting idea. Have you ever heard of a manufacturer doing this?

the odds that they have the same fabric from the SAME BATCH(color/shade/etc) is slim. and then to make a sleeve for you? go for it!

yeeth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tchoy
I would try Canali first and see if they still have the same fabric, they can make a new sleeve for you.

+1
more expensive but the most presentable solution. plus you'd subconciously be blaming yourself for wearing a torn jacket everytime you wear the mended suit again.

agoldf

Reaction score
From what I have been told there is not much you can do. I had a much smaller tear and ALice Zotta said no matter what a reweaver did it would still show rather clearly. It would be "wearable," but apparent.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Use the $200 and watch Buying & Selling closely. You'll come up with something as good within a month.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
^^I am not too optimistic.

i would scrap!
keep the pants and wear in the cooler months with a shirt and v neck sweater. jacket is totaled!

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
just curious....how did that happen?
Happened going into the bathroom stall, got caught on the coat hanger. I was on my way out in a hurry, probably the first time I have worn my jacket to the crapper! Edit- I was on my way out of the office in a hurry, not the washroom.

stubloom

Reaction score
Their is no such thing as an invisible mend on a fine wool such as yours. The best solution is reweaving. The reweaver will have to employ the piece weave method. This entails cutting out a rectangular area in the area of the L-shaped rip, taking a rectangular piece of fabric from another place (such as a cuff of the trouser) and weaving that rectangular piece into the surrounding fabric ....stitch by stitch. It WILL show. On the positive side, there are multiple stripes so the reweave will tend to show less. On the negative side, the fabric weave is very fine and the color is light so it will tend to show more. And for that, you could easily be looking at $150 to $200. For more information on this subject.... Blog post: Reweaving moth holes (or rips and tears) in your fine garments. http://www.ravefabricare.com/true-qu...-garments.aspx For a reweaver, I'd suggest Without A Trace in Chicago.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear.

I've your answer or shall I say solution. If you dont' want to cut your losses then you need to contact Alex's Reweaving here in Los Angeles. They are so good that E Zegna sends their stuff to them. How do I know this? I saw multiple boxes from E Zegna. Now, why would they need reweaving is a different story.

Anyway. I was recommended to Alex's by what many people say as the best tailor in LA (Wilshire Tailor) and Paul said to go to them. I dont know how much the jacket will cost but your jacket isnt as intricate as mine so maybe it could be less?

Contact them, send them the photos and get a quote. Here's the thing, if this is indeed your favorite suit then do you really want to get rid of it? Your alternative is to ditch the suit but you have no other "fav" suit unless you buy one. Just do a cost/benefit analysis and go from there. Once again, Alex's has earned my business

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads