Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Review: Sam Hober Grendadine Tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Vintage Gent, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

A few weeks ago I finally took the plunge and ordered a Sam Hober (formerly Mulberrywood) grenadine tie. I placed by order on September 4th and received the tie on September 22nd, a few days earlier than the estimated three weeks to make the tie and deliver.

On the Sam Hober website, you can choose from several different options for your tie (various folds, widths, lengths). I chose the standard (three-fold, 57" length, 3 3/4" width). For color, I opted for the charcoal grey/silver.

My initial impression is very favorable. The tie is self-tipped with a self-keeper. The silk has a very substantial hand, yet is still quite soft. It makes a solid knot, but I did have to work a bit more than usual to get the tie to dimple the way I wanted.

This is only the second grenadine tie I've ever seen in the flesh, the first being a Turnbull & Asser. I nearly purchased the Turnbull but wasn't very impressed. The Sam Hober tie, from my admittedly limited experience, runs circles around its British counterpart.

A few pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Thanks for the review. The tie looks great. There are a couple of colors that I'd like to add to my grenadine collection, and SH is likely the way to go. They're practically impossible to find on discount, and SH is just the sort of business I like to support with my dollars. I've just not been able to buy from them yet.

I love the tie bar and suit, too. Is the suit a Chan or vintage?

3. Stu

Stu Senior member

I bought one in black and absolutely love it. Now I gotta have Chan make me a cotton khaki suit so I can wear it [​IMG]

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Thanks for the review. The tie looks great. There are a couple of colors that I'd like to add to my grenadine collection, and SH is likely the way to go. They're practically impossible to find on discount, and SH is just the sort of business I like to support with my dollars. I've just not been able to buy from them yet.

I love the tie bar and suit, too. Is the suit a Chan or vintage?

Thanks for the good words, Alan. The suit is Chan.

BTW, I bought a new digital camera this weekend, so I'll start posting pics of some of my vintage collection.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

BTW, I bought a new digital camera this weekend, so I'll start posting pics of some of my vintage collection.

[​IMG]

6. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

It makes a solid knot, but I did have to work a bit more than usual to get the tie to dimple the way I wanted.

That, in my limited experience of grenadines (I have two) is the only downside. They are beautiful ties, and just unusual enough to be delightful.

Thanks for the review. I, too, have been mulling over the Hober grenadines.

7. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I have a couple Ben Silver grenadines that knot just fine although I'm not thrilled with their sizing. Once I decide on the dimensions I need, I will be ordering a Sam Hober to compare. Perhaps the interlinings are different or something.

8. novalis

novalis Senior member Affiliate Vendor

If you do the bespoke option, let David know what knot you prefer and whether you like a strong dimple. He'll work with you to figure out the right interlining weight and X-fold (3, 4, etc) to achieve the desired result.

9. etl

etl Senior member

I purchased a midnight blue Grenadine, seven-fold, from David about a month ago (after wheedling him on another forum) and i could not be happier with the tie or the customer service that he and his wife provided.

Everything shipped quickly and the packaging was first rate.

I will most certainly go back for the Bottle Green. Perhaps a pink as well.

10. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I also recently received a group of swatches and will be pulling the trigger on a few.

11. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

12. Luckyguy

Luckyguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review. That charcoal/silver grenadine tie simply looks great.
    I ordered a black one from David about ten days ago and I just could not wait.[​IMG]

13. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I got the same grey and a black one from SH and I'm very happy with the ties as well as the great customer service [​IMG]

14. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I have a couple on order now and could not be more excited. I've received an unlined seven-fold that instantly became my favourite tie the moment I knotted it around m neck.

15. Stu

Stu Senior member

I got the same grey and a black one from SH and I'm very happy with the ties as well as the great customer service [​IMG]

How do you wear the black one?