• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Results of fairly thin guy doing high-rep-light-weight workouts?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've started thinking of changing up my workout and instead of upping the amount of weight I use periodically taking the weight down a notch and just increasing the reps. For example, doing front and back lunges at 30 reps per set with 20lbs/hand instead of 16 reps with 40lbs or 20 reps with 30lbs, sets of 20 pull-downs with 70lbs instead of 85 and sets of 25 one-legged leg presses at 100lbs instead of 15 at 130lbs.

The heavier I get, the more likely I am to have aches in my hips or back (and not the good post-workout sore) even if I stretch after and I just don't like that feeling...

No desire to change my size, just have a bit of "softness" around the top of ****** and thighs I'd like to replace with "hardness" (or just get rid of).

Also, can anyone comment on the effectiveness of goblet squats with a press at the end with a reasonably light dumbbell, say 40-50lbs?

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you're clearly doing metabolic-type training, it will probably end up burning a little more calories per session (if the intensity remains the same), but the thing that will actually remove that flab is proper diet.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
... just have a bit of "softness" around the top of ****** and thighs I'd like to replace with "hardness"

...That's what she said!!!!!

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ass and thighs are the kettlebell swing's specialty.

alexanduh

Reaction score
if you want to burn fat high rep is the way to go. you should also be running to help burn overall body fat.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll reiterate, get your diet in check.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
I'll reiterate, get your diet in check.

My diet is actually pretty sound. My real problem is that due to my schedule I tend not to eat dinner till about 10 on many nights. Goal is to dial that back a couple hours. And this is not newly developed softness, this is more just fat that's never gone away as my lifestyle has gotten progressively healthier over the years.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My real problem is that due to my schedule I tend not to eat dinner till about 10 on many nights.

Why is this a problem?

If you're really, really lean (like ~ 8% bf and under), what you're struggling with is stubborn fat - for men that's lower ab/lower back fat. There are strategies for dealing with that too, I suggest you check what Lyle's written about this topic.

gungadin25

Reaction score
I would google recomposition. You're going to waste away if you just exercise to get rid of fat. You should try to build muscle to replace the lost fat.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexanduh
if you want to burn fat high rep is the way to go. you should also be running to help burn overall body fat.
No.
I've started thinking of changing up my workout and instead of upping the amount of weight I use periodically taking the weight down a notch and just increasing the reps. For example, doing front and back lunges at 30 reps per set with 20lbs/hand instead of 16 reps with 40lbs or 20 reps with 30lbs, sets of 20 pull-downs with 70lbs instead of 85 and sets of 25 one-legged leg presses at 100lbs instead of 15 at 130lbs. The heavier I get, the more likely I am to have aches in my hips or back (and not the good post-workout sore) even if I stretch after and I just don't like that feeling... No desire to change my size, just have a bit of "softness" around the top of ****** and thighs I'd like to replace with "hardness" (or just get rid of). Also, can anyone comment on the effectiveness of goblet squats with a press at the end with a reasonably light dumbbell, say 40-50lbs?
I'm not sure how you plan to build muscle without changing your size. If you'd like to build muscle, stop doing lunges and start doing squats, assuming your body permits this change (you mentioned something about your hip aching). I don't really see any practical benefit in doing 30 rep anythings, unless we're talking about some type of metabolic conditioning, not actual weight lifting. On my "high rep" days, I go to 10 reps on squats, and up to 12 on some isolation movements. You need to listen to your body. I would go as heavy as you can without causing any pain. If you can get to 10 reps from 30 and increase the weight, that is a start.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
No. I'm not sure how you plan to build muscle without changing your size. If you'd like to build muscle, stop doing lunges and start doing squats, assuming your body permits this change (you mentioned something about your hip aching). I don't really see any practical benefit in doing 30 rep anythings, unless we're talking about some type of metabolic conditioning, not actual weight lifting. On my "high rep" days, I go to 10 reps on squats, and up to 12 on some isolation movements. You need to listen to your body. I would go as heavy as you can without causing any pain. If you can get to 10 reps from 30 and increase the weight, that is a start.
To clarify, 30 reps of lunges means I'm only actually doing 15 per leg, which I think is about right. Also, yes, the goal is to put on a bit of muscle, but to essentially stay the same size I am now only have any fat mass replaced by muscle mass, so building some muscle but not so much that I end up any larger than I am now. I used to do some squatting, but found my hip and lower back would always ache, and that was on a Smith Machine (so hard to **** up the form). Goblet squats, though less weight, don't give me the same issues, probably for that reason (and it's a less awkward position for me to begin with).

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexanduh

I am going to
facepalm.gif
this.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To clarify, 30 reps of lunges means I'm only actually doing 15 per leg, which I think is about right. Also, yes, the goal is to put on a bit of muscle, but to essentially stay the same size I am now only have any fat mass replaced by muscle mass, so building some muscle but not so much that I end up any larger than I am now. I used to do some squatting, but found my hip and lower back would always ache, and that was on a Smith Machine (so hard to **** up the form). Goblet squats, though less weight, don't give me the same issues, probably for that reason (and it's a less awkward position for me to begin with).
Way too much. I do about 6 to 7 reps each leg when I do lunges. Wrong. If you use a barbell, you can adjust your stance and form, not so much so on the Smith Machine. A few pounds of muscle will not change your shape dramatically. If increasing muscle mass is your goal, weight lifting is your call.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with prada, using a Smith Machine will probably increase your chances of doing squats incorrectly.

Most people will tell you that you stand to benefit the most when you work in a rep range of 12 or less. Some might even say 10 or less. I think you should try and up the weight and drop the reps, as long as your body can handle it.

I see what you're saying about not adding too much muscle. That's fine, and it shouldn't be too difficult to achieve your goals. Your diet will be just as important.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I agree with prada, using a Smith Machine will probably increase your chances of doing squats incorrectly.

Most people will tell you that you stand to benefit the most when you work in a rep range of 12 or less. Some might even say 10 or less. I think you should try and up the weight and drop the reps, as long as your body can handle it.

I see what you're saying about not adding too much muscle. That's fine, and it shouldn't be too difficult to achieve your goals. Your diet will be just as important.

Will give that a try. Perhaps my problem was that when I'd up the weight, I wouldn't drop the reps. Might try doing all my previous exercises with slightly heavier (maybe 10-20%) weights but go down from 12-15 to 8-10 reps.

Also, can I assume for push-ups the only thing I really can do is up the reps? I much prefer these to any other chest exercise, and the results I've gotten in the pectoral and triceps department have been just fine. Currently do 3x20-25 each workout and change what kind I do each workout (rotate between military, incline and decline).

I'd also assume the same could be said for back extensions unless I want to hold a dumbbell (no plates at my gym, it's the one in my apt bldg)? Doing them is kind of awkward as is because I have to use a Swiss Ball and jam my feet under the leg curl machine since we don't have a proper back extension rack...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads