• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Requestus translatum ad Latinum

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Could someone who knows Latin translate for me:

A plant that is not growing is dying.

I'd appreciate it. Actually, if anyone knows the original version if any, and attribution, I'd appreciate that as well.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Could someone who knows Latin translate for me: A plant that is not growing is dying. I'd appreciate it. Actually, if anyone knows the original version if any, and attribution, I'd appreciate that as well.
florum qui non cresciri mortire
(just kidding. that's a wild guess.)

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a'ight dawg. i looked it up fo' ya cuz i wuz curiuss too. i think this is closer: floris qui non crescere mortifera. in spanish: flor que no crece, muere.

aybojs

Reaction score
I'm guessing you haven't studied Latin, since morir is conjugated incorrectly (it's conjugated as a passive voiced verb even when used as an active verb), and the grammar in general is messed up. It's been a while since I've studied Latin, so my vocab is crappy and I had to look up words, but with the basic grammar done properly, you'd probably get something like this:

Planta quae non crescit (or alescit) moritur.

I haven't heard a phrase of that nature off hand, so I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but the word selection and grammar check out.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that Conne knows Latin.
devil.gif
nest.gif
nest.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish schools were teaching Latin pronunciation along with grammar. In most cases Latin being horribly mangled by English-speaking people.

That last version looks beautiful.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I asked on a Latin forum and got:

"Pereunt flores qui non crescunt" - flowers die that do not grow

"Perit floris qui non crescit" - a flower dies that does not grow

Not sure why they used floris instead of herb- or plant- , but that's what I have so far.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I studied Latin for 4 years and don't have a clue. It would have been easier to translate FROM Latin to English.
However, I don't feel those 4 years were spent in vain because I think they are what helped me become 90% fluent in Italian in just about a year.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, opinions - is it lame to get a tattoo of a motto in Latin when I don't speak it? It just seemed a more enduring and classic language for a motto to be in, and frankly, it will look better IMO. I'm still not sure I want it at all, or how I'd do it stylistically anyway. Just wondering.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Okay, opinions - is it lame to get a tattoo of a motto in Latin when I don't speak it? It just seemed a more enduring and classic language for a motto to be in, and frankly, it will look better IMO. I'm still not sure I want it at all, or how I'd do it stylistically anyway. Just wondering.

Don't do it. Misspelled tattoo is very cokebinge 80s.

Do one of those Asian tatoos that us, cool dudes like so much.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Even better - does anyone know the kanji for "cool dude"? Bonus if it also means "frozen gay cowboy".

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

I don't think it's lame, but you better get it right. Find some kind of Latin professor or something and email him to confirm.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

Maybe it is SOP in tattoo culture, but to me, it seems very silly to translate a phrase you like into a language you don't speak before etching it onto your body. I would think a tattoo should be more rather than less personal and making the motto unintelligible to you strikes me as making the tattoo less personal.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I studied Latin for 4 years and don't have a clue. It would have been easier to translate FROM Latin to English.
However, I don't feel those 4 years were spent in vain because I think they are what helped me become 90% fluent in Italian in just about a year.

The only words you need to know are fatte a mano.
thumbs-up.gif

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads