• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Requestus translatum ad Latinum

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
J, why do you even want a tattoo? I've never seen the appeal. Then again, maybe I'm just a square because I started listening to Manton at an early age!
bounce2.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly why, except I've always wanted one and I only recently decided on a design I wanted to go with, that means something to me and I'm sure I can live with, so I'm going to do it. Unless I find another guy I trust though, it's not going to be until late September, because he's booked out that far.

You could die tomorrow - why die blank?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
J, why do you even want a tattoo? I've never seen the appeal. Then again, maybe I'm just a square because I started listening to Manton at an early age!
bounce2.gif

Yeah, are you sure this isn't some sort of impending-parenthood mini-freakout?
It was only after my daughter was born that my wife started to regret her tattoos (for a number of years before that, she'd stopped caring either way). Shortly before a kid is born is probably not the best time to get your first tattoo, buy your first motorcycle, do your first 8-ball, etc.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Impending parenthood? None that I know of...
patch[1].gif

I agree that people with obligations like children shouldn't take on something like motorcycles, or crack. But tattoos, unless extremely socially unacceptable, are harmless. Plus it's something that's fun to explain to kids in a totally exaggerated way, like my sharkbite scar or my missing nostril.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Impending parenthood? None that I know of...
patch[1].gif

I agree that people with obligations like children shouldn't take on something like motorcycles, or crack. But tattoos, unless extremely socially unacceptable, are harmless. Plus it's something that's fun to explain to kids in a totally exaggerated way, like my sharkbite scar or my missing nostril.

Oops, sorry, that's what I get for paying half-attention to whose post I'm responding to. Sorry to scare you like that.
I agree tattoos are harmless. I'd probably get one myself except (1) I'm lazy; and (2) I've never thought of something that's interesting and important enough that I could be confident I wouldn't find it trite or boring six months or a couple of years down the road (kind of like Matt's views on buying photography).
My only point -- a totally pointless point given my mistake -- was that for some people tattoos have that "sowing wild oats" association, and if you haven't indulged up to that point in your life I'd generally recommend being cautious about doing so on the brink of a major life event like marriage or parenthood or whatever.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I've thought about getting a phrase translated into a language that neither I nor anyone else I'm likely to meet speaks, then tattooed. Not because I think it's somehow cooler, but because if I get a phrase tattooed on my body, it's probably going to be for my own sake, not necessarily for others, and not something I want to talk about in casual conversation. I would also like it to just plain look cool, because after all, that is part of the point. I have a friend who got something tattooed in Arabic calligraphy. It looked amazing, but turned out to be sort of a really really horrible idea after 9/11.... So if we end up warring with Latin-speakers, j, you could be in trouble. Catholic terrorism?

There are actually a couple of Marcus Aurelius quotes I've considered, and it would obviously make sense to get those done in Latin. But I've moved away from the idea mostly--I'd rather have an image that means something to me, as it's a little more private and personal. If you don't want to talk about it, you can just say "I liked the design", and what else are they going to say?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Some of them have a point I suppose. For example, if a bunch of friends (or say, soldiers serving together) get together and decide to get the same image tattooed as kind of a reminder of something - that's pretty cool. .

The guys on my college lacrosse team got tatoos of a stylized lacrosse stick. I declined.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering getting a tattoo. Always wanted one for no other reason than I think they look cool. Would love one on my neck, near the jugular.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
I'm seriously considering getting a tattoo. Always wanted one for no other reason than I think they look cool. Would love one on my neck, near the jugular.

Above or below your collar line?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Update, getting this done tomorrow and still can't quite decide whether I want it on my forearm or upper arm. I've been saying forearm forever, and if someone can get "elvish" tattooed there then I don't see why I can't get one there... but then again I don't know if I always want it hanging out in hot weather.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

You could die tomorrow - why die blank?

that reminds me, it is always good to carry a copy of ID in case you are murdered so they'll know who to notify. Why not get your driver's license tattooed on your backside?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant to bump the other thread. I'm not getting the Latin thing, I'm getting the Zen & TAOMM logo:

zentat2ws4.jpg

The wrench will be more metallic/realistic looking, and we adjusted the foliage a little to make it look more even and less anchor-like.

Wings_2006

Reaction score
As long as it makes you happy J, thats all that matters here.

Claire

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
My vote's for forearm, I've always liked forearm tattoos. Nothing wrong with the upper arm, just a little less visually interesting.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Here's another comparo, I appreciate input.

zentat5gh2.jpg
zentat4au7.jpg
zentat3ei0.jpg
zentat6ob2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads