• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repairing a YSL briefcase?

noobanker

Reaction score
I have a YSL briefcase that isn't too high quality.
It appears to have decent leather but a lot of the parts are not constructed for function.
Also there is no real lining or structure, as well as no feet on the bottom.
All in all, it's a pretty disappointing briefcase and really can only be used for carrying some light stuff here and there.

Is it possible to replace the handle of an old briefcase at a cobbler?
How much would it cost?
Given that this briefcase MSRP is ~1100, would it be even worth it?

Anachronist

Reaction score
If you look in the internet, you can even buy various complete leather briefcase handles and a decent leather shop or cobbler can replace it for you. Personally, unless the briefcase has sentimental value for you or is still in decent condition (apart from the handle), my approach would be: if it begins to fall apart it’s time for a new one.

c_omeara

Reaction score
I completely agree with Anachronist, If it is falling apart, it is time for a new one. I would consider making a spreadsheet with a column with what you need the briefcase for, being fairly specific, and have a few columns comparing functions of new briefcases, take your time and invest in one that will last and cover all the functions you need.

noobanker

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It's not exactly falling apart per se. Handles are beginning to show wear and it isn't the most sturdy handle.
I did end up buying another briefcase but with its own set of problems.
Such is the trouble with bargain shopping.

c_omeara

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It's not exactly falling apart per se. Handles are beginning to show wear and it isn't the most sturdy handle.
I did end up buying another briefcase but with its own set of problems.
Such is the trouble with bargain shopping.
that is the trouble with bargain shopping, if I may ask, what is your budget and where are you from? I can take some time and send you some recommendations if that would help. One thing to consider is that if you're bargain hunting, a good quality briefcase is going to be very hard to come by, especially if it has no issues. I would suggest checking estate sales in "ritzy" neighborhoods or consider spending a little bit more to get what you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics