• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Relaxing piano music recommendations?

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Erik Satie - GymnopÃ
00a9.png
dies
Brian Eno - Music for Airports

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I personally find it relaxing and conducive to studying to listen to Thelonius Monk.

Maybe that's just me though.

Then again i just read that you said classical or neo-classical, so disregard that.

Unless you take my advice, then disregard my comment to disregard.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim Brickman. John Tesh.

Well, you asked.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's incredibly depressing to me as a classical musician that many people find "classical music" relaxing, and like to play it in the background at dinner or while studying. No one would put Kandinsky or Caravaggio in a walk in closet, I don't understand why they do the equivalent with music.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
It's incredibly depressing to me as a classical musician that many people find "classical music" relaxing, and like to play it in the background at dinner or while studying. No one would put Kandinsky or Caravaggio in a walk in closet, I don't understand why they do the equivalent with music.

Must every thread on SF derail?

Because I can't study to Schubert's 8th Symphony or Tchaikovsky PathÃ
00a9.png
tique. I was purposely looking for study music...the music in this case is a means to an end.

As well, wasn't a not insignificant sum of classical music composed as background music for other affairs, such as dinner and parties?

Jon.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Erik Satie - GymnopÃ
00a9.png
dies

+1. first thing that came to my mind. otherwise, it seems like anything mellow by Chopin or Debussy would do the trick.

also, you might want to try one of the many Mozart piano concertos.

-Jeff

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I'm looking for something that is perfect as soothing background music while studying. I don't have any preconceptions regarding musical time periods, so anything from classical to neo-classical is fine by me.

Thanks!

Jon.

For studying: Ray Bryant's album "Alone at Montreux" can put me in the relaxed zone. If you don't mind some subtle bass with your piano, Charlie Haden's bass with Hank Jones' piano in the "Steal Away" album can be quite relaxing. Although it wasn't about relaxing piano music, post #14 in http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=hank+jones has some of my thoughts about Jones.

Also, James Levine, recorded a Ragtime album, "James Levine Plays Scott Joplin". It is faithful to Joplin's wish that Ragtime be played slow. This is another relaxing album. It's still published by RCA in Japan. I'm sure you can purchase it from some internet store.

After the exams: "La Fille à Cheveux de Lin" (Debussy) is relaxing. That with the "GymnopÃ
00a9.png
dies" by Satie mentioned in previous posts are in a little loop I made for those moments when I wish to unwind and melt into a puddle.

____

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you're not really listening to the music, I'd opt for one of those "100 relaxing classics" 6-disc sets that cost 19.99.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Godspeed
Eluvium - Copia
+1 and Eluvium - An Accidental Memory
Originally Posted by Violinist
Yeah, I hate it when people get all "individual" with how they enjoy their music when it doesn't match my own tastes.
confused.gif

Jon, why don't you just go the internet radio route? On iTunes they have a number of classical stations and a few are piano-focused.

Besides what has already been mentioned, Debussy has a few piano works worth listening to (torrent search for Samson Francois.) I highly recommend Eluvium and if you like it, George Winston is worth checking out, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics