• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regarding shell cordovan, AE vs. Alden

Sperry

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

I've got an upcoming purchase. Black loafers come to mind, since I recently acquired dark brown loafers.
My job requires the slipping off of shoes, sometimes not occasionally; I've ruled out laces.

Alden [nearly] never discounts; Allen Edmonds is available with corporate discount through JosBank.
In addition, the once-a-year additional 20% discount on one item coupon is due out any minute.

I know the Aldens are comfortable as all-get-out. I tried on a pair for half an hour in the store.
And AE can be ordered [by the Alden competitor], and if I don't like them, I don't have to take them.

I could play it safe, and get the AE 8904 Black Custom Calf $325 less 20% twice. $208. Very nice.
Perhaps, though, I'm ready for cordovan. AE 8914 Black Shell Cordovan. $525 -disc, $336.

Here's the issue. The Alden retailer [who also sells AE] does not bemoan AE's skills with calf,
but absolutely and emphatically, whenever possible, insists if one is to buy shell, it has to be Alden.

One could not possibly get satisfaction with AE shell after trying Alden shell.
AE just can't do shell with anything close to the skills exhibited by Alden.
AE is a great company, but shell is not their thing. You'd have to go with Alden if you want shell.

Is he attempting a tobacco enema on me? What's the deal?

I'm in my shoes up to 17 hours a day, almost 80 a week at times. Comfort, durability, classy looks are all important.

What say ye of AE shell?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own 5-6 pairs of Alden shell cordovan shoes, and 2 pair of AE. The quality difference between their calfskin is the same in the shell. Alden's construction or comfort doesn't increase b/c of the type of leather used. I would rate Alden slightly better than AE in construction. However, comfort is dependent solely on the fit.

On a secondary note, I hate AE's shell loafers. They look bad, and they are prone to tearing @ the seam if you have a high instep. This would sway my decision.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of AE shell. One is the Bradley (split toe blucher) and the other is the Randolph (loafer). The Bradley is great and the cordovan is excellent. The Randolph is very comfortable, but the cordovan has very little shine to it. I've got 6 pairs of shell (2 RL/C&J, 2 AE, 1 Alden, and 1 vintage longwing - forgot the brand), and these loafers just don't have the shine that my other pairs of shell shoes have. The Alden Chukka in # 8, however, looks like a freakin shiny eggplant. Almost patent leather looking.

Tobacco enema, huh? Never heard that before.
laugh.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can wear and walk long distances in my Alden shells all day long for multiple consecutive days, if needed, without any discomfort whatsoever. My preference for comfort is Alden.

epic raccoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sperry
In addition, the once-a-year additional 20% discount on one item coupon is due out any minute.

I hate to go slightly off-topic, but is this a 20% off discount for Jos. A Bank? If so, is it really stackable on top of the corporate 20% discount?

tps16

Reaction score
E and Alden get their cordovan from the same source (Horween). The shoes are not constructed any differently form the calf shoes.
From a construction point of view, there is little difference. Comfort will vary depending on which fits you better. I would get whichever fits you better. Some also don't like the 360 degree welt on AEs.

Sperry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
Tobacco enema, huh? Never heard that before.
laugh.gif

Blowing smoke up one's arse. That is where the phrase came from, I'm told.
Marketers were looking for another use of tobacco, but this one didn't work.
Hence, when someone was said to be blowing smoke up another's ares,
it translates to describe a useless claim or activity. Ya learn something everyday, huh?

Authentic tobacco enema kits are worth ca$h.

The JosBank discount was in addition to the corporate 20%. I'll keep you posted.
They're currently doing $25 off per $100 spent, but it doesn't include shoes.
I've a manager looking into the discount I received last year.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sperry
I'm in my shoes up to 17 hours a day, almost 80 a week at times. Comfort, durability, classy looks are all important.
Then do yourself a favour, and get a chelsea boot. Loafers are very casual, and not versatile, and black loafers are just plain wrong. Stuart EDIT: chelseas are also much more comfortable, as a result of their ankle support.

tps16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
Then do yourself a favour, and get a chelsea boot.

Loafers are very casual, and not versatile, and black loafers are just plain wrong.

Stuart

EDIT: chelseas are also much more comfortable, as a result of their ankle support.

+1 on the chelsea boot and dislike of black loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads