• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Boston vs Alden Loafer

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones has one of the nicest grain leathers at this price. The grain fades at the toe box as you can see from my picture. Good luck

Yep. You can put a nice gloss (not mirror shine) on the toe which really grabs the eye. All in all, maybe my favorite pair of shoes.

style_geek

Reaction score
Yep. You can put a nice gloss (not mirror shine) on the toe which really grabs the eye. All in all, maybe my favorite pair of shoes.
any other loafers you think I should look at before deciding? IE Merton, Sydney, Henley, Grantham from C&J?

Last edited:

MaE

Reaction score
Can't remember if you said it but depending on where you're located you could take a look at JM Weston's "180" loafer or even Paraboot's "Adonis" loafer. I own both (+ the Boston loafer from C&J in grain leather) and I quite like all of them for some reason.

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Notch maybe you can make him something that won't make him feel like a gigolo

Thank you for mentioning me Kostas, I'd be happy to add a few suggestions to the list.

any other loafers you think I should look at before deciding? IE Merton, Sydney, Henley, Grantham from C&J?

With Sons of Henrey, we have some pretty cool loafers coming up. We will have a Chestnut Jamaica Kudu Penny loafer, as well as Utah grain Penny loafer (both lined and unlined versions will be available). Besides these, we'll have a Penny loafer in Dark Brown suede, and a Full Strap loafer in Sandal suede.

All loafers are priced at €360 incl. VAT, or €297.50 excl. VAT.

I attached a couple of images of our Thomas Full Strap loafer, which gives you an idea of the styling of our shoes and the last shape:

sons-of-henrey-thomas-full-strap-penny-loafer-jpg.1743155

Thomas-Full-Strap-Penny.jpg

And this is our penny loafer in Utah calf:

Utah Penny Loafer.jpg

Last edited:

ahtynes

Reaction score
Thanks. Any other brands I should look at assuming EG and JL out due to being too expensive?
I looked at Carminas loafers and they looked like they belonged on a male prostitute. AE quality not great. So I zoned in and CJ and Alden but maybe I’m missing some other options.

I've actually been tossing around a similar question. They're not out yet but you might also look to the Armoury's house model (or SoH, see above). They'll both lean less trad and more dressy than either the Boston or the LHS but might work for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads